WARNING...

Old October 12th 04, 04:57 PM
rocknrollover.com

Default WARNING...

There are selfish breeders who will not allow you to enter the
bloodline.

You mention that you want a show puppy, Elizabeth Lane of Fort Worth
Texas, immediately trys to sell you the 8th or 9th pick from a litter.
If you tell her that you want to breed a female that you have. She
immediately states that she only breed champions.

How do you get started in a breed (Ridgebacks) if EVERY WAY she blocks
your entry!

How?

Is there a web site where you can report such unethical behavior?

Lance
Old October 12th 04, 05:49 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

(rocknrollover.com) wrote in
om:

There are selfish breeders who will not allow you to enter the
bloodline.

Awwww. Poor little puppymiller can't find a new stud???

You mention that you want a show puppy,snipped name,
immediately trys to sell you the 8th or 9th pick from a litter.
If you tell her that you want to breed a female that you have. She
immediately states that she only breed champions.

How do you get started in a breed (Ridgebacks) if EVERY WAY she blocks
your entry!

The first thing to do would be to take your female, enter her in dog
shows, and get her awarded a championship. Voila, you will then be able
to breed her to the male that you wanted.

How?

Just in case you didn't get it the first paragraph above, and in all of
the previous responses your puppymilling ads have generated, here is what
you do.

1 - Take your female.
2 - Enter her in dog shows. (Note the use of the plural form of Dog Show,
indicating that more than one is necessary)
2a - Get her health tested. OFA, common genetic problems in Ridgebacks,
other common health problems for large dogs.
3 - Win Dog shows.
4 - Count points.
5 - Obtain Championship.
6 - Determine how your stud would compliment the bitch(es) you would like
to breed him to.
7 - Call breeder with bitch available.
8 - Explain to the breeder your breeding practices. Send pictures and,
ideally, a video showing your dog move. Send health certifications, proof
of registration (Does this exist, I am not sure??). Explain to the breeer
how your dog will compliment and improve her line.

Is there a web site where you can report such unethical behavior?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

There is nothing unethical about this. Legally, she is not stopping you
from entering the breed. The puppies she has are *her* property. Thus,
she can do with them what she wants. She can sell them to whomever she
wants. She can also *not* sell them to whomever she wants.

Note that I am not a breeder, and I, in 5 minutes or so, managed to come
up with the above list of things you might want to consider. Other
breeders (if they haven't killfiled you yet) may step forward and try to
correct my musings (although I wouldn't bet on it).

--
Marcel and Moogli
Old October 12th 04, 06:48 PM

On 12 Oct 2004 08:57:05 -0700 rocknrollover.com whittled these words:
There are selfish breeders who will not allow you to enter the
bloodline.

There are also responsible breeders who are careful about their puppy
placements. A responsible breeder will sell a breeding prospect only to
someone who has established that they will act in the best interests of
the dogs and of the breed.

You mention that you want a show puppy, Elizabeth Lane of Fort Worth
Texas, immediately trys to sell you the 8th or 9th pick from a litter.
If you tell her that you want to breed a female that you have. She
immediately states that she only breed champions.

Well good for her. She is exercising good sense in choosing to sell only
to those who will be a credit to her lines.

How do you get started in a breed (Ridgebacks) if EVERY WAY she blocks
your entry!

You start by proving yourself. You establish that you are a concerned and
responsible owner of the breed first. You get involved in rescue, you get
involved in contributing to the health registries. You take seminars and
classes on conformation, movement, structure and the history of the breed.
You gain experience and knowledge about the various lines, about what it
takes to responsibly place a puppy, about what it takes to improve genetic
health and temperament. When your actual behavior demonstrates openness
to learning, concern about the welfare of the the dog, and dedication to
the improved fitness of the breed, then you might be considered to be an
acceptable placement for a pick puppy.

Is there a web site where you can report such unethical behavior?

It is completely ethical to be choosey about whom you sell a puppy to. The
least ethical part of the story is that it sounds like the breeder was
willing to sell 8th or 9th pick even without believing the proposed
breeding would be a credit to her lines. However, given that the story is
from your perspective, not hers, my guess is that it wasn't that way at
all.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old October 12th 04, 06:54 PM

On 12 Oct 2004 16:49:57 GMT Marcel Beaudoin whittled these words:

How do you get started in a breed (Ridgebacks) if EVERY WAY she blocks
your entry!

The first thing to do would be to take your female, enter her in dog
shows, and get her awarded a championship. Voila, you will then be able
to breed her to the male that you wanted.

Well, no. A responsible breeder won't stud out just because the bitch has
her championship. If the bitch owner isn't concerned about health
testing, is careless of puppy placement or any other number of factors
showing lack of concern for the welfare of the breed then the championship
of the bitch is pretty much irrelevant.

1 - Take your female.
2 - Enter her in dog shows. (Note the use of the plural form of Dog Show,
indicating that more than one is necessary)
2a - Get her health tested. OFA, common genetic problems in Ridgebacks,
other common health problems for large dogs.
3 - Win Dog shows.
4 - Count points.
5 - Obtain Championship.
6 - Determine how your stud would compliment the bitch(es) you would like
to breed him to.
7 - Call breeder with bitch available.
8 - Explain to the breeder your breeding practices. Send pictures and,
ideally, a video showing your dog move. Send health certifications, proof
of registration (Does this exist, I am not sure??). Explain to the breeer
how your dog will compliment and improve her line.

That list barely scratches the surface of the responsible breeder. What
about temperament testing? What about testing whether the dog has the
basic instincts or behaviors characteristic of the breed? What about
knowledge enough to support and mentor puppy buyers? What about
contributing to the welfare of the breed by participating in health and
genetics studies? There is a lot to contributing to the welfare of the
breed and even what I've added is but a partial list.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old October 12th 04, 09:39 PM
diannes

rocknrollover.com wrote:
You mention that you want a show puppy, Elizabeth Lane of Fort Worth
Texas, immediately trys to sell you the 8th or 9th pick from a litter.

:-) So how exactly how many people is she trying to sell the 8th and
9th show picks to?

How do you get started in a breed (Ridgebacks) if EVERY WAY she blocks
your entry!

Well, first you place that Dachshund puppy you've been trying to sell
through these newsgroups for months now. Next, among the four breeds
you've been advertising (Boston Terriers, Miniature Dachshunds,
Italian Greyhounds and Rhodesian Ridgebacks) you decide which of the
four you want to concentrate on. Spay and neuter all your pet-quality
dogs and develop a relationship with a good, responsible breeder who
is willing to sell you a good bitch on a co-ownership and mentor you.
It's pretty simple, really.

Oh yes - it also wouldn't hurt to remove all the copyrighted material
you've posted without attribution on your web site, and also statements
like these:

"Rock-n-rollover Kennel is open Monday thru Saturday, 9:00 am until
9:00 pm US CST. Puppies here, Puppies there, Puppies everywhere.
Click through and check out our Boston Terrier Puppies."

That just basically screams "puppy mill", know what I mean?

Is there a web site where you can report such unethical behavior?

It's not unethical behavior. To the contrary, from what you've posted
it sounds like she may well be a very ethical breeder.

JFWIW,

Dianne
Old October 13th 04, 10:12 PM
Christy

"rocknrollover.com" wrote in message
om...
There are selfish breeders who will not allow you to enter the
bloodline.

Wow, thanks for the warning. Imagine that, breeders concerned about their
lines falling into the hands of worthless puppy peddlers who just breed for
cash! Shameful!

You mention that you want a show puppy, Elizabeth Lane of Fort Worth
Texas, immediately trys to sell you the 8th or 9th pick from a litter.

She sounds awful, trying to take advantage of someone who is completely
clueless about what show quality means by passing off a pet quality puppy...
oh, wait, that's YOU.

If you tell her that you want to breed a female that you have. She
immediately states that she only breed champions.

For shame, requiring that a breeder PROVE their dogs to be breeding quality
through conformation shows! I bet she asks for health testing too, what a
selfish woman! Doesn't she realize she's required to let her males breed to
anyone off the street who wants to sell pets for cash!?!

How do you get started in a breed (Ridgebacks) if EVERY WAY she blocks
your entry!

Beats me.

How?

I told you, I don't know! I mean, if I wanted to start in a breed, I'd
acquire a pet quality puppy from a responsible breeder, show that puppy in
agility, obedience, and whatever else was available for that breed, and
title that puppy. While I was doing that, I'd be researching lines, meeting
breed competitors, attending conformation shows to watch and put my hands on
as many dogs as I could to learn about structure etc. I'd join the breed
club or a local chapter, find a mentor, learn all that I could about the
breed, and make myself known to the breed people as a serious student of the
breed. Then after a few years hopefully one of these breeders or my mentor
would consider co-owning a show prospect puppy with me, which I would then
show, title, and do health testing on before *considering* the breeding
potential.
Then again, you can always just buy two dogs and breed 'em. That is, if
you're a puppymilling scum sucking pig who is just out for a buck. You
choose!

Is there a web site where you can report such unethical behavior?

Lance

Unethical behavior, like, I don't know, copyright infringement? That's the
only reportable lack of ethics I've seen here... you can't report a puppy
peddler trying to sell puppies via newsgroups to anyone. Ain't that a shame?

Christy

Old October 13th 04, 10:15 PM
Christy

wrote in message ...

That list barely scratches the surface of the responsible breeder. What
about temperament testing? What about testing whether the dog has the
basic instincts or behaviors characteristic of the breed? What about
knowledge enough to support and mentor puppy buyers? What about
contributing to the welfare of the breed by participating in health and
genetics studies? There is a lot to contributing to the welfare of the
breed and even what I've added is but a partial list.

Hey, give Marcel a break - he isn't a breeder, but he knows a bazillion
things more than this puppy peddler, even if he didn't cover everything.
He's learned an awful lot just by participating in discussions on the
groups. Some folks are educable, but this rollover guy doesn't appear to be
one of them...

Christy

Old October 13th 04, 10:21 PM

In article rVgbd.533$jW1.291@trnddc02,
Christy wrote:
He's learned an awful lot just by participating in discussions on the
groups.

My preference is to get stuff from the horse's (or in this
case, expert's) mouth. I also don't post advice when I know
there are people participating who have a lot more knowledge
than I do and who I can count on to contribute to the
thread, but each to his own, I guess.

73% of economists polled by "The Economist" magazine rate Bush's
first-term economic policies as "bad" or "very bad."
Old October 13th 04, 11:07 PM
Christy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

My preference is to get stuff from the horse's (or in this
case, expert's) mouth. I also don't post advice when I know
there are people participating who have a lot more knowledge
than I do and who I can count on to contribute to the
thread, but each to his own, I guess.

Fair enough. I just appreciate that Marcel has displayed the ability to
learn from the various discussions, whereas the puppypeddler has indicated
none such ability, regardless of the quality of feedback he has received.

Christy

Old October 13th 04, 11:16 PM

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:07:14 GMT Christy whittled these words:
Fair enough. I just appreciate that Marcel has displayed the ability to
learn from the various discussions, whereas the puppypeddler has indicated
none such ability, regardless of the quality of feedback he has received.

I do too. The reason I felt the need to respond was that at least parts
of it appeared to be a closed response i.e. he forgot the "this is a
partial list that barely scratches the surface" caveat ... that's all.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/