I don't think this is kennel cough...

Old December 19th 05, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default I don't think this is kennel cough...

One of the dogs in my daycare wheezes every once in a while,
maybe 3 times in an 8 hour period. It's almost like she can't
catch her breath.

It's not a gagging cough like kennel cough. I'm going to
recommend that the owner see the vet, but meanwhile I wanted to
get a few opinions.

Old December 19th 05, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 19 Dec 2005 19:34:11 GMT, Rocky wrote:

One of the dogs in my daycare wheezes every once in a while,
maybe 3 times in an 8 hour period. It's almost like she can't
catch her breath.

It's not a gagging cough like kennel cough. I'm going to
recommend that the owner see the vet, but meanwhile I wanted to
get a few opinions.

asthma? are there any identifiable triggers, like hard play? how old
is she? it's possible for heart conditions to cause wheezing and
coughing.

http://www.cat-sidh.net || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Why do bees make honey? Do earwigs make chutney? Do spiders make gravy?
-- Eddie Izzard
Old December 19th 05, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

shelly said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

It's not a gagging cough like kennel cough. I'm going to
recommend that the owner see the vet, but meanwhile I
wanted to get a few opinions.

asthma? are there any identifiable triggers, like hard
play? how old is she? it's possible for heart conditions
to cause wheezing and coughing.

I heard it happen after all sorts of play situations, but also
after she's woken up from a sleep. Her age is unknown exactly,
but is probably about 4 years. There's a little bit of nasal
discharge.

Old December 19th 05, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

diddy said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Is she on heartworm medications?

Probably not - there's no heartworm in Alberta and very few dogs
I know take the medication.

still could be heart problems. Especially if she's a
Cavalier Spaniel (you didnt mention breed)

It's not the CKCS, it's a medium-sized mixed breed.

Or it could be the new Doggy flu
Canine Flu has a very high infection rate.

That may be possible, but I haven't heard of it moving to this
area yet. I put a temperature strip on her belly - not very
accurate, but it showed normal. We'll see what her vet says.

Old December 19th 05, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 19 Dec 2005 19:51:18 GMT, Rocky wrote:

I heard it happen after all sorts of play situations, but also
after she's woken up from a sleep. Her age is unknown exactly,
but is probably about 4 years. There's a little bit of nasal
discharge.

huh. is the discharge clear?

the two main things that come to my mind are still allergies/asthma or a
heart condition. when you fine out what it is, i'd be curious to know.
http://www.cat-sidh.net || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Colour is my day-long obsession, joy and torment.
-- Claude Monet

Old December 19th 05, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 19 Dec 2005 21:46:19 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Yup.

it *could* still be some sort of respiratory infection, but clear
discharge usually means it's not. that's (hopefully) good news for the
rest of the dogs she's been in contact with, at least.

Will do.

thanks! hopefully, it's not anything serious.

http://www.cat-sidh.net || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

You will find poetry nowhere unless you bring some of it with you.
-- Joseph Joubert
Old December 19th 05, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Rocky writes:

One of the dogs in my daycare wheezes every once in a while,
maybe 3 times in an 8 hour period. It's almost like she can't
catch her breath.

Might it be "reverse-sneezing"?

http://www.cpvh.com/Articles/45.html

--
Stafford A. Rau
raudog @ rauhaus.org
Old December 19th 05, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Stafford A. Rau" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Might it be "reverse-sneezing"?

No, *that* I've heard plenty.

Old December 19th 05, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

shelly said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

it *could* still be some sort of respiratory infection, but
clear discharge usually means it's not. that's (hopefully)
good news for the rest of the dogs she's been in contact
with, at least.

That was definitely a concern.