Home Visit Checklist?

Old September 27th 03, 08:27 PM
Suja

queenmother wrote:

From my file they would be able to report that I pay my bills, that my dogs
are seen annually, that my dogs are on PM, that my dogs are speutered, that
my dogs are reasonable weights, that my dogs are sometimes taken in when I
am concerned about something (that so far has been nothing important) and
that my dogs have not been seen for anything that indicated the slightest
neglect on my part.

But, a vet cannot generally give out this amount of information unless
you give specific written authorization to them. Most people don't.
Most rescues don't ask for anything beyond 'Are you the vet of so and so
and their pets?' and 'Are they UTD on the vaccines and health checks?'

Suja

Old September 27th 03, 08:27 PM
queenmother

"sighthounds etc." wrote in message
No. I don't ask that either. I am simply trying to say that
generally, IMO, veterinarians do not have that much personal
information on their clients.

My first thought was that my vets would not be a great source of
information.

From my file they would be able to report that I pay my bills, that my dogs
are seen annually, that my dogs are on PM, that my dogs are speutered, that
my dogs are reasonable weights, that my dogs are sometimes taken in when I
am concerned about something (that so far has been nothing important) and
that my dogs have not been seen for anything that indicated the slightest
neglect on my part.

I wouldn't bet that they would actually remember me or my dogs unless we had
been in recently. But I guess the above is still a lot of important
information.

~~Judy

Old September 27th 03, 08:48 PM
queenmother

"Bethgsd" wrote in message
Suja wrote:

Some say there must
be fences and yet they are willing to adopt to ppl
in apartments, thus there is no fence.

There are leash laws in this part of the world, Gwen. Ones that do get
enforced. Apartment dwellers are perfectly capable of owning dogs,

And I was one of those people. For four years I lived in an apartment and

at
least four times a day my dogs went out for a walk on leash. And one of

those
dogs was a high drive working lines shepherd. My living in an apartment

didn't
stop any of the breeders I spoke to from thinking I might be a good home

for a
dog.

What I have heard from breeders is that they are also concerned about what
will happen to the dog when you have the flu. Or when they need to be
walked at 3AM. Spenser and Sassy's breeder refused to sell a dog to an
older (much older) woman who refused to fence in her yard and also was not
willing to consider and present a back-up plan for those times when she
would not be able to take the dog out for walks. The breeder was willing to
place a dog with her but wanted to hear at least that there was, perhaps, a
long-time neighbor who not only checked on the woman daily but would be
willing to walk the dog during emergencies. Or that the woman would buy an
X-pen and set it up when needed. Since she didn't ever hear that back-up
plan, the woman didn't get the dog.

I can certainly understand the thought behind that decision. We did not
have a fenced yard when we got Spenser. But there were two of us to walk
the dog. (Side note - the first week we had Spenser both of us got SICK.
Flat on our backs. In January. We were not fun people for a little puppy.
But he got walked by whichever of us could manage to stay upright long
enough.) And even though we live way out in the boondocks, they are never
outside our (now fenced-in yard) without someone in control of them. I love
the fence for those times when I'm sick and the dogs need to go outside, for
the times when one of them decides that they need to go out at 3AM and
dang-it's-cold. But if I lived in an apartment or could not fence in the
yard, we would still manage to get them outside. But it does require some
thought and a back-up plan or two that are easier with a fenced yard.

I think having the back-up plan is more important than the fenced yard -
which can become just too convenient for some people and is just impossible
for others who would still be great owners.

~~Judy

Old September 27th 03, 08:54 PM
queenmother

"Suja" wrote in message
queenmother wrote:

From my file they would be able to report that I pay my bills, that my

dogs
are seen annually, that my dogs are on PM, that my dogs are speutered,

that
my dogs are reasonable weights, that my dogs are sometimes taken in when

am concerned about something (that so far has been nothing important)

and
that my dogs have not been seen for anything that indicated the

slightest
neglect on my part.

But, a vet cannot generally give out this amount of information unless
you give specific written authorization to them. Most people don't.
Most rescues don't ask for anything beyond 'Are you the vet of so and so
and their pets?' and 'Are they UTD on the vaccines and health checks?'

Suja

Then basically all they're doing is checking to see if you lied on your
application. I guess that has some value but it's pretty limited. Hardly
worth the phone call if it's long distance.

~~Judy