shaving a samoyed

Old July 5th 03, 12:23 PM
Vitmar5

Default shaving a samoyed

I searched dejanews to see if this has been discussed in the past. It has (a
year or two ago) but I could still use some advice. I have an old (14 years)
samoyed. She is very arthritic and I'm sure that going to the groomer is
torture now for her, so I hesitate to put her through that. Due to my concern
about having her groomed, she is way overdue. The poor thing is uncomfortably
hot in this weather. I have wondered about having her "sheared" rather than
the traditional grooming. It might be easier on her and would probably make her
more comfortable in the heat. I'm sure there must be a downside to this idea
though, or I'd be seeing sheared sammys all over the place. Can an anyone
offer advice?

Thanks,
Mari
Old July 5th 03, 04:35 PM
crosem

it has been my understanding that long hair protects the dog from the sun
and acts as an insulator against the heat!

Old July 5th 03, 11:58 PM
crosem

we have air conditioning where I live, so I keep the dog natural and don't
have to fear the sun...

Old July 6th 03, 02:51 AM
Kassie

And in double coated spitz breeds the coat acts like insulation from heat
and cold.
Kassie

Old July 6th 03, 02:31 PM
Kyler Laird

"Kassie" writes:

And in double coated spitz breeds the coat acts like insulation from heat

What's the surface temperature of dogs?

--kyler
Old July 6th 03, 06:04 PM
so060703

"crosem" wrote in message
. ..
we have air conditioning where I live, so I keep the dog natural and don't
have to fear the sun...

Surely you're not saying your dog doesn't get to run off its energy
outside??

Old July 6th 03, 06:06 PM
so060703

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
"Kassie" writes:

And in double coated spitz breeds the coat acts like insulation from heat

What's the surface temperature of dogs?

Same as rectal.

Old July 7th 03, 05:56 PM
Suja

so060703 wrote:

Surely you're not saying your dog doesn't get to run off its energy
outside??

Don't have a Sammy, but do have a densely double coated black dog who is
not happy with this weather. He gets groomed regularly (2-3 times a
week) to keep his undercoat thinned out. Most of his exercise, he gets
early in the morning (before 8:00) and later in the evening (after
6:30). Since he has access to plenty of water when he is outdoors, he
manages just fine.

If you do feel the need to shave the dog down, I've heard it said that
you can do that to the belly. That way, the dog can get more
comfortable, and you don't have to worry about the protection from the
sun she'd lose if she lost her coat. I don't know how it works with
that particular breed, but when Khan had to have a small spot on him
shaved (medical reason), the hair took a long time to fill in, and it
grew back in the wrong direction. Even now (at least a year later), I
can still tell where the spot was. Before you do anything, check with
the vet and your regular groomer.

Suja

Old July 7th 03, 07:02 PM
Kyler Laird

And in double coated spitz breeds the coat acts like insulation from heat

What's the surface temperature of dogs?

Same as rectal.

O.k., so the "insulation from heat" reason only works when you're in
ambient temperatures significantly above ~101F, right?

'course I love big fluffy dogs and we keep the air conditioning on and
take walks at night so I'm not about to shave my pups. I'm just tired
of hearing the "insulation from heat" claim thrown about so loosely.

--kyler

Old July 8th 03, 07:28 AM
Jo Wolf

Have you made certain that you have raked out all the dead undercoat
from the spring shed? Doing that will solve a lot of the heat
problem...

The theory behind shaving the dog's underside, rather than a total body
shave, is sound, especially for an older, less active dog. The idea is
that the bare or nearly bare underside has more potential for heat
exchange in contact with cool floors (and some dogs drape themselves
over floor vents for the air-conditioner...), cool ground, cool air,
etc. Also, cooling is more effective with a garden hose sprayed to the
underside than wetting down a heavy coat (which holds in and heats the
water and keeps the dog hotter). The underside of the dog has more
major blood vessels near the surface (plus lungs and heart), so cooling
is faster and more effective from this direction....

Rather than shaving an older dog (summer isn't going to be around That
much longer) who may not grow back a full winter coat in time, it's
better to trim the coat shorter... But I would not shave down or cut
down a very inactive older dog. They will need the warm coat earlier in
the fall than an active youngster. And if you keep your house really
cool, she might need it now. The tummy hair will grow back better
according to a groomer I asked about this one time.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia