Need advice on training an adult dog to walk on a leash.

Old November 26th 03, 07:27 AM
Doug Hill

Default Need advice on training an adult dog to walk on a leash.

Hi everybody,
I'm hoping I can get some advice. I recently aquired a female Belgian
Malinios that is 2 years old, the people I got her from live some distance
away and went on quite a bit about what a sweet dog she was and how much
they wanted her to go to a "family" type enviroment. I already have another
belgian thats about 5 years old so I knew that they are a high energy, high
intelligence breed so we were prepared for "anything" or at least we thought
we were.

She turned out to be just as sweet as they said she was, BUT she has
never been taught ANYTHING, no simple commands like come, sit, stay... not
even her name.. she will not take a treat from you... in fact will not eat
anything that isn't IN her food bowl and it must have the same consistency
as dry dog food. My biggest problem is that she has never had a leash on.
She has an odd way of fighting it. She lays down and will not move as soon
as you put it on her, just goes completely limp. There is nothing that
tempts her to move, I have tried a "gentle leader" type harness, a training
collar, a regular collar... I don't think any kind of collar is the key...
she can't be tempted to come to me with food... she just collapses and won't
move as long as the leash and collar is on. HELP.

Doug Hill