A dog & canine forum. DogBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DogBanter forum » Dog forums » Dog health
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Osteosarcoma Help Needed

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 16th 06, 07:26 AM

First recorded activity by DogBanter: Oct 2006
Default Osteosarcoma Help Needed

I am a new member of Dog Banter, specifically joining for help in making difficult decisions about my dog's diagnosis of osteosarcoma. Coalby is an 11 year old Labrador, spayed female. She was diagnosed by xray two days ago with osteosarcoma (the most likely tumor barring bone biopsy) in the right humerus. The tumor is advanced and requires amputation of the limb as soon as possible for pain relief and to prevent fracture, which is likely to occur soon. Further radiographs show that she has no visible metastases in the lungs (though I realize in reading as much as possible this weekend that microscopic metastases could already be present); her other organs are normal, lymph glands are clear. She has no other arthritic changes in any joints, with some minor spondylosis in her spine. She is active and in good spirits despite the obvious pain. Her overall excellent health tempts me to do radical measures in treatment despite her age.
My dilemma (as some of you have probably experienced) is whether to go ahead with the amputation and chemo, amputation only, or to make her as comfortable as possible until the decision to let her go. I am finding a typical survival of less than a year even in the best of circumstances; the 10% or so who survive to two years is discouragingly low. Although her dam is 14 and still in relatively good health, and I would hope that Coalby could come close to that longevity, the odds seem quite stacked against her. I am torn about whether it is in Coalby's best interest, at her age, to proceed with the procedure, or whether I am prolonging for a short few months the inevitable.
I would appreciate any input from those who have gone through this situation. I will be consulting with the oncologist this week, and hoping to make a decision that is best for Coalby soon after.
Thank you very much.