The 3 dog experiment

Old December 26th 03, 05:36 PM
Suja

Default The 3 dog experiment

For almost two whole days, we had 3 dogs in the house. Needless to say,
the experience has been interesting. Guest dog Sebastian has been with
us since Sunday, and Khan and he are getting along fine. Isabelle and
Khan get wonderfully well, and she ignores Sebastian at the dog park, so
I figured that it wouldn't be too much trouble to handle all three.
Well, I was right. And I was wrong.

As soon as Izzy came over on Tuesday, she decided that she didn't
particularly care for 'bastian. She was giving him some attitude, and I
would sometimes catch her giving him the evil eye (and corrected her for
it). He's a big goofus, so he totally backed down from her, and didn't
seem to much care that she didn't like him. Actually, that was part
of the problem - had he told her to knock it off, she would've listened.
So, I was being extra careful not to give anyone any reason to snark
over. While the dogs were busy with their chewies, I decided to stuff
Izzy a Kong because we would have to leave later in the evening for an
Hmas party, and she was definitely going to have to be crated. The
sound of kibble brought Izzy to my feet, where she was sitting as nicely
as she can, eyes focused on the kong, tail going mileaminute. 'bastian
came over to check things out, and he was a couple of feet away from us
when she decided to go for him. Mouthful of fur, but no damage since my
Voice of doG brought the festivities to a complete halt. In she went to
the crate for a timeout while 'bastian had to be in a down-stay until I
was done.

Later on in the day, I was playing frisbee with the two dogs. Each one
had their own, and I was throwing in opposite directions to avoid
conflict. Occasionally, 'bastian would decide that her frisbee looked
*much* better than his which really is a stoopid idea since Izzy is VERY
frisbee motivated. Even more than food, and that's saying a lot since
she is the only dog I know who'd eat dust. More management to keep
goofus from getting his butt kicked. Towards the end, Izzy stopped
listening to me, and when we packed it in, decided to take her frisbee
in the woods and play with it. I put the other two dogs in the house
and went to fetch her - after telling her that she really didn't want me
to come out there and get her. Anyhoo, as soon as the two of us came
in, 'bastian and Khan came over to greet us, and while I turned to close
the door, Izzy went for 'bastian again. This time, I had her by the
collar so no harm done. The door closed on my thumb, and I was in PAIN.
Much as I wanted to kill a certain dog, all I ended up doing was to
stick her in the crate while I took care of my finger and calmed down.
When she was finally let out of the crate, there was much sitting and
downing going on.

It's a good thing we had a Christmas party that night, because keeping
the two warring parties separate was getting on my nerves. But, good
food and good company brought some much needed relief. Other than
wanting to go out at 4 in the morning, everyone behaved themselves
overnight. In the morning, Khan decided to play with 'bastian, which
didn't meet with Izzy's approval. More snarking ensued, and I thought
'Here we go again!'. During their morning constitutional, Khan did
something to his right leg, and was hobbled for the rest of the day.
Since I knew about the food issues, everyone was in a down-stay while
the food was being prepared. Izzy was fed in her crate and there were
no problems.

Then, the amazing thing happened. She walked right up to 'bastian,
poked him with her nose, and did her best play bow. Much wrestling
ensued, and I told them both to take it outside. They played, and
played, and played and played. For two whole hours, running each other
into the ground and wrestling like mad. Brought them back in and they
played some more, then then as suddenly as it all started, it stopped,
and they both crashed where they lay. After a little nap, we took the
frisbees and went outside. Jade had been so keen on playing with the
dogs, and we took turns throwing the frisbee to each of the dogs. We
stayed out from 3:30 until the sun went down, and the dogs were toast.
Jade's wonderful with them, BTW. Great innate sense of what to do, good
timing and takes directions really well - will grow up to be a terrific
dog person, and wants to be a vet :-)

We repeated the morning food routine, except this time Izzy was so
impatient she was making some really LOUD whiney noises. I didn't have
to feed her separately from the other dogs either. They each chewed on
their bones for a little while, and then slept soundly until Izzy's
parents came to retrieve her. While we were sitting around talking, she
was snuggled up to her mommy, feet up in the air, getting bellyrubs and
snoring ever so softly. The End.

Epilogue:

Khan's leg is much better today. He basically sat around all of
yesterday, and I'm not sure he didn't play it up a bit to score some
cream puffs off Rajesh. Steve and Marcy brought back some nummy eggnog,
homemade fudge and a surprisingly smashing sweet potato casserole. To
demonstrate that Izzy sneezes if she gets a little alcohol in her
system, she was allowed to lick the eggnog container clean, and promptly
sneezed.

One mystery remains: If one dog produces X amount of poop, how is it
that 3 dogs produce 10X of poop?

Suja