Border Terrier or Parson Russell Terrier... earthdog?

Old March 29th 05, 08:16 PM
Urban Sherpa

Default Border Terrier or Parson Russell Terrier... earthdog?

First, let me say that I currently own a 14yr old Shiba Inu that was
VERY rambunctious as a younger dog (so I am used to a high energy
breed), and I am a VERY outdoorsy person who does many long hikes, as
well as mountaineering, canoeing, hunting, etc. (so the dog will be
excercised A LOT).
Also, I have two children 8/10 who have the utmost respect for dogs.
Furthermore, we live beside a huge fenced in city park,(5 miles long).

Also, I've read almost everything possible about the two breeds on
the internet, and at the library. The problem is getting an objective
opinion of the DIFFERENCES between breeds, NOT just the pros, and cons
of each.

Anyway, I'm considering either a Border, or PRT only. I would like
to know if anyone has any real world comparisons of the two,
particularly gameness, temperament, 'trainability' and homelife.
Which would do you feel is more intelligent?

Thank-you very much for your input, I'll read it here so

*please don't email directly, I won't see it*.

Karl
Old April 2nd 05, 01:38 PM
Joe Cilinceon

I can't help with information about the Border Terrier but the Jack Russell
Terrier (parson) I sure can. Mine died about a month ago at age 15. We had
Buddy from the time he was 2 months old. Now as a puppy he was a Terrorist
especially with my wife's cat. He was impossible to keep in a fence if he
wanted out. He was extremely smart and learned quickly though he could be
stubborn when he wanted. If he got mad at us, he would find a object that
belonged to us and tear it up. Now as he got older he settled down (about 2
years) and became a really great little dog. He became attached to a kitten
when he was about 6 months old and we still have her. He was very good with
kids and played well with the older ones. I don't know if I would let a very
small kid near him though as when hurt they will bite. He was a problem
around other male dogs however as he always felt he was the boss and was
quick to want to fight. We now have a 4 year old Jack Russell / Bassett
hound mix we got from a shelter about a week ago and is working out very
well. I might ad here that my wife and I live where we work so taking him
for long walks 3 times a day wasn't a problem. Though we live in a small
apartment we do have a fenced in yard (6' tall wood privacy fence) which he
couldn't jump or dig under.

--

Joe Cilinceon