Dog Breed

Old August 21st 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.breeds,rec.pets.dogs,alt.religion.dake-bonoism

Default Dog Breed

Plague wrote:

I'm a 39 year old married man. I have three lovely daughters ages 3,5,& 7
(stair steps) and we are thinking about bringing a dog into our lives.

I am attracted to the following breeds for various reasons: Doberman,
Great Dane, Bulldog (American & English) , rottweiler, mastiff &
bloodhound.

My wife is attracted to the following "breeds": labradoodle (mongrel), and
collie.

My daughters are attracted to the following breed: Dalmatian.

Does anyone have any lovely advice to offer?

With the exception of the labradoodle, it should be possible
to find careful breeders of each of the breeds you list, who will
spend time educating you about their dogs and whether they
are likely to meet your needs, or have characteristics that
spell trouble. With three youngsters in the family, IMO it
is essential that you find conscientious breeders who breed
for temperament and can honestly advise you as to whether
their dogs will be tolerant and safe around children.

Books and articles about the different breeds are not very
useful IMO. They speak only in subtle codes, if at all, about
the drawbacks to the breed under discussion.

You appear to be drawn to large dogs. Do you have experience
with the breeds of interest? Large dogs have some particular
health issues. Experience is also a plus with breeds like the
Rottweiler and American bulldog.

I suggest ranking your preference and your wife's above those
of your daughters. Dalmatians have a reputation for being
the wrong dog for many people who get them.

Hope this helps.

Amy Dahl