My Stoney

Old February 22nd 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default My Stoney

Hi,
I have a sweet dog named Stoney and he's 14 years old. He's always
been a good natured dog; loved people, family and friends. Last year
he started to develope arthritis in his spine, hips, and back legs.
Now he has trouble standing and walking. I feel so sorry for him
sometimes. When it is cold and rainy, he really has a hard time
standing and walking. He also is a little blind and a little deaf but
my husband and I love him so much we can't stand the thought of
putting him down. He is such a little trooper--He just keeps on
going. Just recently he has had a few accidents in the house. Does
anyone know if there is anything we can give him to help with that
particular problem. He doesn't mean to have the accidents--most of
the time, he is trying to make it outside. Thanks for your time and
advice.
Old February 22nd 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article
,
afriend4u wrote:

Just recently he has had a few accidents in the house. Does
anyone know if there is anything we can give him to help with that
particular problem. He doesn't mean to have the accidents--most of
the time, he is trying to make it outside. Thanks for your time and
advice.

Provide outings more frequently, physically assisting him as possible.
What pain relief does he take?

--
Janet Boss
Old February 22nd 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

afriend4u wrote:
Hi,
I have a sweet dog named Stoney and he's 14 years old. He's always
been a good natured dog; loved people, family and friends. Last year
he started to develope arthritis in his spine, hips, and back legs.
Now he has trouble standing and walking. I feel so sorry for him
sometimes. When it is cold and rainy, he really has a hard time
standing and walking. He also is a little blind and a little deaf but
my husband and I love him so much we can't stand the thought of
putting him down. He is such a little trooper--He just keeps on
going. Just recently he has had a few accidents in the house. Does
anyone know if there is anything we can give him to help with that
particular problem. He doesn't mean to have the accidents--most of
the time, he is trying to make it outside. Thanks for your time and
advice.

This is the toughest question to answer. Your veterinarian can advise
you on specific medicines and treatments for the incontinence. We can
give you tips on putting down newspapers and easy-to-clean towels to
make clean up easier. But the real question is whether it's time to put
your 14 year old friend down, and none of us can help you there.

Ask yourself if you're keeping him alive for his sake or for your own.

Does he seem to be in pain? Does he mind having trouble standing and
walking? Is it okay with him that he's a little blind and a little
deaf? Do the incontinent accidents in the house seem to bother him?

This is a well-loved dog who deserves for you to do the right thing for
him. Whether this is the right time for you to do that right thing
isn't going to be easy to answer. Good luck and my sympathy while
you're going through a rough time.

--Lia

Old February 22nd 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

afriend4u wrote:
Hi,
I have a sweet dog named Stoney and he's 14 years old. He's always
been a good natured dog; loved people, family and friends. Last year
he started to develope arthritis in his spine, hips, and back legs.
Now he has trouble standing and walking. I feel so sorry for him
sometimes. When it is cold and rainy, he really has a hard time
standing and walking. He also is a little blind and a little deaf but
my husband and I love him so much we can't stand the thought of
putting him down. He is such a little trooper--He just keeps on
going. Just recently he has had a few accidents in the house. Does
anyone know if there is anything we can give him to help with that
particular problem. He doesn't mean to have the accidents--most of
the time, he is trying to make it outside. Thanks for your time and
advice.

My suggestion would be to talk with your vet about getting him
some relief for his arthritis pain - if moving causes him pain,
he may be delaying getting up, and then can't hold his bladder or
bowels long enough to make it outside.

We've used Adequan shots on two dogs with severe arthritis, and
it made a big difference in restoring their mobility. They are
given every 4-6 weeks, and you can ask the vet to train you how
to administer them, to save money. Adequan is a prescription
drug. There are other pain-relieving drugs like Rimadyl and
Deramaxx that the vet can prescribe.

The vet can also examine him to determine if there is anything
else causing his accidents.

I hope this helps - we all hate to see our dogs suffer, and there
are treatments available that can relieve his pain.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dogs.
Old February 22nd 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
FurPaw wrote:

We've used Adequan shots on two dogs with severe arthritis, and
it made a big difference in restoring their mobility.

Adequan made a huge difference for my canine "nephew". Quality of life
is very important.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 22nd 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
(snip)
This is a well-loved dog who deserves for you to do the right thing for
him.

Lia, that simple sentence has touched me deeply. You've summed up the whole
human/dog relationship no matter if we're talking about what to feed him for
breakfast or how to gently end his life.
Karla

Old February 22nd 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

filly wrote:
"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
(snip)

This is a well-loved dog who deserves for you to do the right thing for
him.

Lia, that simple sentence has touched me deeply. You've summed up the whole
human/dog relationship no matter if we're talking about what to feed him for
breakfast or how to gently end his life.
Karla

Thanks. Let's hope the original poster gets through this with relative
emotional ease and comfort-- whether that's the next few days, or weeks,
or months. And let's hope Stoney gets through it easy too.

--Lia

Old February 22nd 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"filly" wrote in message

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
(snip)
This is a well-loved dog who deserves for you to do the right thing for
him.

Lia, that simple sentence has touched me deeply. You've summed up the
whole human/dog relationship no matter if we're talking about what to feed
him for breakfast or how to gently end his life.
Karla

I agree, I saw this post last night and wanted to say that same thing, but
at the time couldn't think of the right way to word it. Lia did it
perfectly, I'm glad I laid back and waited. The hardest thing we ever have
to do for our dogs, is to let them go when it's time. It's hardest on us,
but the most loving thing we can do for them. We have to know when it's
time to take away their pain and absorb that pain ourselves, because they
can't do that for themselves.

My most deepest sympathies and condolences to the original poster. There
really is no good answer to the most painful thing in our lives. Love to
Stoney, a very good dog.

td