Need cure for loose stools in a renal doggie

Old February 22nd 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Need cure for loose stools in a renal doggie

Hi,
My doggie has renal failings and is on subQ fluids. He's doing very
well (thank God) and has a great appetite. Problem is every 4 days or
so he gets loose stools that he can't control. I don't want to put
him on metronidazole on an ongoing basis. I've seen diarreah related
supplments in the pet store but I really need one that will not hurt
the renal dog and his kidneys. We've got everything else under
control except the loose stools. I haven't got much of a response in
the yahoo k9kidney groups which is why I'm asking here.

Thanks
Old February 22nd 08, 10:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
My doggie has renal failings and is on subQ fluids. He's doing very
well (thank God) and has a great appetite. Problem is every 4 days or
so he gets loose stools that he can't control.

.........You could try a couple of tablespoons of plain canned pumpkin and/or
probiotics. I'm assuming you had the stool tested for parasites?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old February 22nd 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Assuming there isn't a parasite problem, here's a German remedy:
Boil a pound of carrots in 2 pints of water for an hour. Add a half
teaspoon of salt, and water to make up to one and a half pints (or leave
as a puree, if your dog won't take it as a soup). Feed tablespoon-wise
at regular intervals.

Sally

Old February 26th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 05:56:07 -0500, "buglady"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
My doggie has renal failings and is on subQ fluids. He's doing very
well (thank God) and has a great appetite. Problem is every 4 days or
so he gets loose stools that he can't control.

........You could try a couple of tablespoons of plain canned pumpkin and/or
probiotics. I'm assuming you had the stool tested for parasites?

I'm trying the pumpkin - once every 3 or 4 days or so - right before I
think he's going to have a flair up. I started this on Saturday and so
far so good...
Thanks. and yes there are no parasites. I hope the pumpkin works!

Old March 5th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I learned that slippery elm bark is very good for diarreah in dogs. It
is supposed to be very safe and effective with no know side effects.
Just wanted to post this for anybody else reading who has the same
problem.

Miracle Cure? Suja Dog health 13 May 29th 06 03:40 PM
West highland Terrier (loose Stools) craig Dog health 1 January 16th 06 12:57 PM
How to bulk up stools?? Michelle Dog behavior 10 October 17th 05 08:07 AM
Miracle cure Suja Dog behavior 54 September 1st 03 01:37 AM
CANCER is there a cure? xtra Dog health 0 August 1st 03 11:50 PM