Newbie looking for advice please?

Old January 6th 10, 10:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Newbie looking for advice please?

Hello everyone

I've only just subscribed to this group and I'm looking for some advice
please!

We (my husband and I) are going to rehome a dog from Evesham Dogs Trust
soon. We are both experienced dog owners but neither of us have ever had a
rescue dog before and I was just wondering how we could help the dog we
rehome to settle in and that's hopefully where this group comes in! :-)

I've been recommended Charlie
(http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming...ie1054363.aspx) and the little I
know about him he sounds like a wonderful dog! We are hopefully going to
meet him on Saturday then, if we are accepted, rehome him soon after that
and I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to get
Charlie (or any other rescue dog) to settle in with us... we know that
Charlie will need to take things slowly as it says so on the site and we are
prepared for that but what can we do to help a rescue dog to settle into
his/her forever home with us?

Thank you!!

Amanda

Old January 7th 10, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Amanda George wrote:

[...]

Charlie is a five year old Jack Russel.. As with most dogs I suggest
getting a crate with a bed where he can feel secure. Feed him in it, and
give him treats and toys in it so he loves it, but don't over do the
treats and toys. Get him and one of you in an obedience class, so you
can learn how to teach him andx be his leader. Having a clear leader
will give him more confidence.

As to his being a Jack Russell at our old house we had neighbors with a
very charming Jack Russel that looked (and maybe still looks) a lot like
Charlie. We dog sat him twice when they went on trips and had a
wonderful time with him. As terriers they are strong willed and high
energy, but love company. Try him out with balls. I hope you like having
a dog in your bed. With their short coat and small size they get cold
easilly when not active. On his visits our neighbor's Jack would jump on
our bed and climb under the covers when we were asleep.

--
Bill Clodius
los the lost and net the pet to email
Old January 7th 10, 10:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

"William Clodius" wrote in message
Amanda George wrote:

[...]

OK, thank you! Maybe I'm wrong here but aren't crates cruel? I was
thinking Charlie could sleep on the bed with me and have his food in the
kitchen with us so that he is part of the family... isn't this wise?

As to his being a Jack Russell at our old house we had neighbors with a
very charming Jack Russel that looked (and maybe still looks) a lot like
Charlie. We dog sat him twice when they went on trips and had a
wonderful time with him. As terriers they are strong willed and high
energy, but love company. Try him out with balls. I hope you like having
a dog in your bed. With their short coat and small size they get cold
easilly when not active. On his visits our neighbor's Jack would jump on
our bed and climb under the covers when we were asleep.

*nodding* I used to have a Cairn Terrier that did the same! We've got a
small back yard where the dog we rehome could run around and chase after
balls and things like that!

Old January 8th 10, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Amanda George wrote:

"William Clodius" wrote in message
snip
Charlie is a five year old Jack Russel.. As with most dogs I suggest
getting a crate with a bed where he can feel secure. Feed him in it, and
give him treats and toys in it so he loves it, but don't over do the
treats and toys. Get him and one of you in an obedience class, so you
can learn how to teach him andx be his leader. Having a clear leader
will give him more confidence.

OK, thank you! Maybe I'm wrong here but aren't crates cruel? I was
thinking Charlie could sleep on the bed with me and have his food in the
kitchen with us so that he is part of the family... isn't this wise?

No crates aren't cruel if used properly, but it is a great convenience
for the owner and can be a source of comfort for the dog. Certainly
don't restrict him to it all the time, but if you have young kids over
it will keep both him and them safe. If you have food on a coffee tabl
for guests, is will stay there and not end up in him. If you want put
the crate in your bedroom and let him decide which bed he prefers.
Hoever if he's like our neighbor's dog, Dude, he is more likely to end
up in your bed not on it.

Old January 8th 10, 10:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Amanda George wrote:

[...]

OK, I'll see if I can find where to find big crates from before we get our
dog! I've got no problem sharing the bed with a dog! lol

Old January 26th 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Most important - do not change the food/treats - find out what the dog
is use to and stick with it. I would also walk the dog immediately so
he knows to do his business outside. Expect the dog to be nervous with
the new surroundings so keep exceitement and noises to a minimum
for the first few days.

Good luck

Joe