Chicken Jerky - safe or not ?

Old November 22nd 11, 12:48 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Dudley View Post
On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 15:10:24 -0500, Paul J. Dudley wrote:
[color=blue][i]
On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 23:42:14 -0400, Jo Wolf wrote:
[color=green][i]
Paul..... consider an issue I had with just one of my usually-greedy
terriers..... and see if you think it might fit Miz Sandy.... {grin}'
Chicken jerky products should not be substituted for a balanced diet and are intended to be fed occasionally in small quantities.

It is advising consumers who choose to feed their dogs chicken jerky products to watch their dogs closely for any or all of the following signs that may occur within hours to days of feeding the products: decreased appetite; decreased activity; vomiting; diarrhea, sometimes with blood; increased water consumption and/or increased urination. If the dog shows any of these signs, stop feeding the chicken jerky product. Owners should consult their veterinarian if signs are severe or persist for more than 24 hours. Blood tests may indicate kidney failure. Urine tests may indicate Fanconi syndrome (increased glucose). Although most dogs appear to recover, some reports to the FDA have involved dogs that have died.

In addition to several animal health diagnostic laboratories in the U.S., is working to determine why these products are associated with illness in dogs. Veterinary Laboratory Response Network (VLRN) is now available to support these animal health diagnostic laboratories. To date, scientists have not been able to determine a definitive cause for the reported illnesses.

The FDA continues to actively investigate the problem and its origin. Many of the illnesses reported may be the result of causes other than eating chicken jerky. Veterinarians and consumers alike should report cases of animal illness associated with pet foods to the FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator in their state or go to.
Old November 23rd 11, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Chicken Jerky - safe or not ?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:48:22 +0000, Amos wrote:
[color=blue][i]

Paul J. Dudley;384835 Wrote:[color=green][i]
[...]

Thank you Amos. That must be what my friend was referring to as
mentioned in my original query:

"I began giving her chicken jerky treats as a reward for eating the dry
food. But my girlfriend informed me that the jerkys weren't good for the
dog. That she heard the additives could cause kidney problems and the
chicken itself might bring on pancreatitis."

I need to discontinue giving her the jerky treat. Could you recommend a
safer treat ? So far she has turned her nose up at all treats except for
chicken jerky. And although she now only gets a treat after a good romp
in the yard or a lengthy tug-of-war bout, I would like to reward her
from time to time with a safe treat.

Paul

Old November 23rd 11, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

The newest UDSA/FDA warning is about chicken jerky made in China. I
have usually been able to find that information on the package. You
might look for chicken jerky teats made in the US or Canada....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old November 23rd 11, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Chicken Jerky - safe or not ? OOPS

USDA, not UDSA or however I typed it....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old November 24th 11, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Chicken Jerky - safe or not ? Added Later

Consider making your own. Google "recipes for chicken jerky" or
"recipes for homemade jerky". There are Many.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old December 8th 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Oct 30, 7:26*pm, "Paul J. Dudley"
wrote:
*I have a 5 year old Pomeranian who has had pacreatitis 3 times already..
I used to try to make her own food by boiling beef or chicken to get rid
of as much oil/greese as possible and then mix it with rice and vegetables.
But then after a couple of bouts with pancreatitis the vet said "NO HUMAN
FOOD". Strictly hard food for her.

With pancreatitis, it is typically kibble-fed dogs that suffer from it
when they receive a fatty meat they do not usually get. It is also
incredibly important to note that fat does not cause pancreatitis;
excess fat is simply a trigger for pancreatitis and may start the
cascade of effects in the pancreas. If ingesting a fatty meal triggers
a bout of pancreatitis, then that is indicative of some other
underlying problem with the pancreas (again, ask "Why this dog? Why
now?" Not every dog that eats raw meat or high quantities of fat
"gets" pancreatitis, so something about that particular dog indicates
"susceptibility"); the pancreatitis itself is a symptom that the
pancreas (and possibly other organs) are not well, because a healthy
dog with a healthy pancreas will not suffer from pancreatitis.
Surprisingly, many dogs that previously suffered from these diseases
while eating kibble have dramatically improved since switching to a
raw diet.

Just wander around the Yahoo! Rawfeeding group and you will hear some
amazing testimonials. Just the fact that kibble-fed dogs can also
suffer horrific and deadly bouts of pancreatitis should be sufficient
to show that this is not a 'raw feeding' problem, particularly when
dogs with pancreas problems can be greatly helped from a raw diet
(since it is easier to digest and actually places less demand on the
pancreas). Can pancreatitis or kidney disease happen in a raw-fed dog?
Yes, they could. All things are possible, particularly when one has no
control over the kind of start the dog received in life (breeding,
what the parents were fed, what the pup was fed, what vaccinations and
wormers it received, etc.).

http://rawfed.com/myths/honest.html

She is a very fussy eater and recently I tried giving her some canned food
for a change and she ended up with pancreatitis once more. Back to dry
food only.

I began giving her chicken jerky treats as a reward for eating the dry
food. But my girlfriend informed me that the jerkys weren't good for
the dog. That she heard the additives could cause kidney problems
and the chicken itself might bring on pancreatitis.

The treats I've been giving are AKC brand chicken jerky. The listed
ingrediants a
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *chicken, sorbitol, glycerine, sugar, salt.

Can anyone attest to whether or not this treat can harm my dog ?

Yes, I noticed it has sorbitol in it. Dogs shouldn't have that. Sugar
and sugar substitutes are put into dog food to make the dog want to
eat it. I feel if the food is that bad that they resort to adding
sugar it shouldn't be eaten. Not so good for a dog's teeth either.

You can dry some chicken in a low oven or dehydrator for treats.
Better yet use beef heart or liver. They make great treats and are a
bit more nutritious.

* TIA

* Paul

Old December 15th 11, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 16:13:01 -0800, cyndi wrote:

[...]

I thought I'd give "raw" a try. So I bought some pork finger ribs. Poor
Sandy licked it. Tried to gnaw the side a bit. Licked at it some more.
But then walked off. She doesn't seem to know just what to do with
it. I will keep trying though. Perhaps I'll try a chicken leg quarter next
time.

I've checked out and subscribe to the link you posted. I'll go back
there ( and other sites mentioned ) and look for more suggestions
on tempting her to cross over to raw. Have you any suggestions ?

Paul
Old December 16th 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Paul, just keep trying things. One of our gals in the training gang
did it by chopping up raw chicken into small pieces and sprinkling over
dry food, tapering up on the chicken and down on the kibble until the
kibble was gone. Then she went to the recipe for raw food she wanted to
use. She has an over-size Chihuahua, about 8-9 lbs, so gave the dog
partially stripped chicken thigh bones, once it was used to the raw
chicken.... Worked for her..... Eventually, so did 3 inch pieces of
beef rib with fat removed.... after she'd tapered over to beef. Now she
mostly uses ground bone in with the meat, with occasional raw bones with
some meat left on, for chewies.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA