Toronto dog needs forever home in the country

Old April 4th 12, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Toronto dog needs forever home in the country

I have to give up my loving 3 1/2 year old border collie/shepherd
cross, and am desperately seeking a new home for her. She's about 50
lbs and black with white markings, very smart, and very loyal. She was
not meant to be a city dog. We lived outside of the city until she was
a year old and she seemed fine (a bit vocal, as goes with the breed).
Since we moved to Toronto she's gotten more and more stressed,
manifesting in a lot of leash aggression and barking. She's no longer
able to handle any kind of off-leash dog park. I've done some extra
training with her around this issue (clicker training) and we spent a
solid six months working hard on it, and another year after that
trying to reinforce good behaviours while avoiding stressful
situations, but I can't seem to make it better. I really want to find
a country home for her, preferably without other dogs on the property.
Can anyone offer suggestions?

This is obviously a heartbreaking choice for me to make. I've spent
over a year mulling this one over.

Old April 5th 12, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Sadly, you are highly unlikely to find a home for your dog on this site.
It was developed for people working in rescue to discuss problems and
solutions..... not for placing dogs. Today, there are just a few of us
who check in now and then to direct dog owners back to local sources.
You are more likely to find a new home through a local or regional
rescue/animal welfare organization. In your case, advertising in a
rural newspaper classified ads in the areas just outside Toronto is
likely to be far more productive than the listing here.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA