Nasal bleeding in Golden retriever

Old November 1st 12, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Nasal bleeding in Golden retriever

On Wednesday, December 29, 1999 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Joel W wrote:
One of my Goldens (Sidney - 9 yrs old) has recently developed a nose bleed
on one side. Our vet took x-rays which were subsequently reviewed by a
radiologist and they indicate either a mass (i.e. tumor) or fungus. Of
course the thought of a tumor sent me into deep distress since I would
assume that a tumor in such a highly vascular area such as the nasal cavity
would be the indicator of existing (and spreading) cancer. However,
Sidney's activity level has not changed nor has his appetite has not
decreased. Has anyone else out there experienced this type of disease in
their dog? If so, I'd really like to know what symptoms your dog
experienced and what the disease was.

Thanks,

Joel

We took our GR mix, Henry, to the Univ. of Minn. Small Animal Hospital after two nosebleeds. They did a CT scan and a biopsy of his nasal tumor. There are three options; aggressive radiation over 3 weeks (18 treatments), a less aggressive response with radiation, and chemo. They suggest the more aggressive to prolong life. The other two are just for comfort. I have read the UW Vet Hospital has a special kind of directed radiation and now wonder if the UM Hosp. has the same. I also wonder if other folks' GR's have gone through this and how did they do.
Old November 1st 12, 06:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I don't know about Goldens, but acquaintances of mine with a Border
Terrier opted for the radiation series for a tumor in the same area you
describe.. They stopped the radiation about halfway through and had him
euthanized.
The dog had to be heavily sedated or anesthetized for each treatment,
and this was almost as much of a drag on him as the radiation. He was
barely alert before it was time to re-sedate.... so the poor little guy
wasn't eating enough to keep a bird alive. He was a high energy dog
that weighed possibly 16-17 lbs IIRC.

Every dog is different! So don't take that one example as the probable.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that the dog's quality of
life is the critical issue. It's all about the dog, not about you
(singular or plural). The dog doesn't understand what's happening.

I factor age into the whole equation. The decision I make for a 3
year-old and an 8 year- old and a 12 year-old (my breed usually lives to
14-16) will differ widely. But I will not procede with a treatment for
cancer that just prolongs misery for a few months, no matter the age of
the dog. I will hug him close, pray for his little soul and set him
free. And go home and cry.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

What is better, a labrador retriever or a golden retriever? MarieYad Dogs - general 0 July 27th 12 10:00 PM
Golden Retriever fan? Handsome Jack Morrison Dog behavior 1 September 28th 07 08:36 PM
Golden Retriever Sim Dog behavior 12 October 18th 03 02:33 PM
Golden Retriever Sim Dog behavior 0 October 16th 03 05:00 AM
Golden Retriever Sim Dog behavior 0 October 16th 03 05:00 AM