Dog knows who the top dog is

Old November 22nd 12, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Dog knows who the top dog is

yet, as soon as I am not there, either present or watching, he starts
to overstep his boundaries, eg jumping up (particularly at one of my
kids, for some reason) - suggestions?

Thanks for reading!
Old November 23rd 12, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Yeh, the kids are percieved as other puppies! This is a very common
problem. Depends on the size of the kids.... and ages.... as to how to
manage the situation.

The hardest part is training the kids. They automatically flap their
arms and make noise, facing the dog. Teach them to "stand like a tree";
standing straight, hands folded up under their chins, elbows against
sides, making NO sounds, not looking at the dog. This is Soooooo
boooring for the dog. If knocked over, it's "lay like a rock".... on
knees, folded up tightly, hands over each other on the back of the
neck.... and silent. Practice flapping and bouncing and making shrill
kid-sounds, then stop and "stand like a tree"..... watch the difference
between a bouncing dog and a puzzled, quiet one. Get down into rock
position and be quiet, and see what the dog does. Demonstrate for the
kids. Parents and teachers have told us that these two methods have
prevented dog bites! Even when it's been MONTHS after the kids saw
these in class.

Once the kid is at least 5 or 6, you teach the dog to obey selected
commands from the kid. Put leash and collar on dog. You hold the
leash. Have the kid give the command, and you enforce it Immediately.
"sit" is the best to start with. Once the dog does a fast down for you,
you add that to the kid's commands, and you enforce it Immediately. Dog
should be taught to come on command by all members of the household....
same way. At schools, we have a student "teach" the dog to sit this
way.

When you know the kids are gonna be wild and noisey, and when they have
friends over, it's crate time for the four-footed one.

Teach your kids how to pet the dog.... ALWAYS starting with a shoulder
or side of the neck, with stroking movements. NEVER straight to the top
of the dog's head from in front, and NEVER patting. Demonstrate the
awfulness.... Holding you hand in a claw, reach down into the kid's
face from front and above..... Fake-pat your side with one hand and
when it makes contact, bounce a few inches to the side and say "boom"
like a drum. Lift a kid up in front of the bathroom mirror, nose almost
on the glass and say something like "Eeeewwww! A Monster! Our dog sees
a monster when you get in his face."

When our therapy dog group goes into elementary schools, pre-schools and
day-cares
to teach safety around dogs, we do the tree, the rock, the claw, and the
drum-pat and talk about looking into a mirror that close at home.

Bigger kids, probably 10 and up, can be taught to cross arms across
chest and walk right into the dog that's jumping up on them, or side
step the dog, turn back on dog and Slowly walk away.....

Of course, when it's a given that the dog will jump up, a tossed treat
or toy can often re-direct the dog.

When kids are running and making noise, this young dog IS GOING TO
chase, jump, grab, and maybe bark.

I STRONGLY recommend that you order _Child-Proofing Your Dog_ by Brian
Kilcommons. This inexpensive little book has terrific information for
parents of kids of all ages. It is not a how-to-train book, rather a
what to expect and what to do about it book. Very common sense. Many
professional trainers have used this for baby and baby shower gifts for
couples with a dog who are about to have a baby, and for couples who
have one or more kids and are getting a dog or puppy. It is THE BEST
of this type of book.... no purple flowing prose, just the facts, good
advice, written by a professional who Has kids. The last time I ordered
it, it cost less than $10... may have gone up a bit. Amazon....
www.dogwise.com .... and other book sources. And no, I don't get
kick-backs. It's just another tool in my box.

Kilcommons' _Good Owners, Great Dogs_ is also a pet owner classic, with
training guidance, living with a dog, etc. I also like _Dog Training
for Dummies_ and _Puppies for Dummies_ Your wild child is old enough
for the Dog Training version.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA