Anyone with experience in Dog Mastectomy? Single breast

Old December 28th 12, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Anyone with experience in Dog Mastectomy? Single breast

Hi all,

Unfortunate news from the vet today. Aunti Mabel (dog) has a large
fast growing tumor in a hindmost breast. Xrays show lungs are clear and
we have to schedule to get a cat scan to see if there are other areas
affected but I am looking for recovery impact on quality of life here.

She is minimum age 16 (adopted by us at minumum estimated age of 14)
and quite a few of the vets say she's at least 18 and may be closer to
20. She's had a very long run for a dog though as a beagle mix, that
does in fact happen with this breed. Reaching 20 is rare but the
oldest on record was 27. Average is 13.5 years so she is definately
'geriatric' and probably the oldest dog at the vet we use.

I could be sad and say this is the sweet Lord's way of saying 'Aunti
Mabel, it's time to come home' but for now, we will hold for tests and
see impact.

No matter what, we have been gifted with a very sweet lady for 2 years
and she's not in any pain at all right now.

Carol

Old December 28th 12, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I'd wait and see if there is further involvement with other breasts
that's obvious.... Going back through my memory files, I don't recall
any bitch I know/know of having just a single mastectomy. I think they
did the whole row on one side.... None of the bitches were over 10 yo,
however. At Auntie Mabel's age, I'd want it to be quickly in and out
with minimal anesthesia time.... which would be a single mastectomy....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old December 29th 12, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Jo Wolf wrote in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I'd wait and see if there is further involvement with other breasts
that's obvious.... Going back through my memory files, I don't recall
any bitch I know/know of having just a single mastectomy. I think
they did the whole row on one side.... None of the bitches were over
10 yo, however. At Auntie Mabel's age, I'd want it to be quickly in
and out with minimal anesthesia time.... which would be a single
mastectomy....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Thas what seems right. Can you tell me if you had one with bottom
breast set (pretty much between the lower legs) and recovery issues? I
am looking at quality of life after surgery here.

I have to wait until next week to schedule her catscan to tell more
than xrays and a feel seem to have it local to one breast just now.

If for example they have to pull enough muscle tissue to make walking
hard, well this may not be a kind thing to do to the old gal who
already has arthritic joints that show on xrays.

Call me cruel, but I'll put her down early rather than have her in pain
for the remainder of her days if the surgery will cost her the ability
to just walk to the backyard for the remainder of her days. That's
just not fair to make her suffer.

For now, she's in no pain. There is an indication of a potential
coleo-rectal cancer though. Tests pending... If she has that too,
then it's time to keep her comfy and a close watch and when the fun
stops for her, let her go softly and easily.

What breaks my heart mostly if this can't be fixed, is it's obvious
these have been her happiest years and she's had only 2 of her
estimated 16 with us. Yet again, maybe she'll be ok if it's just on one
breast and have a good quality life for a bit more.

Old December 30th 12, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Since these weren't my dogs.... I really don't know details anymore.
You can specify whether you want the vet to take muscle or just do a
simple mastectomy.... breast tissue only.... I don't know how often they
remove muscle and lymph nodes in elderly dogs.... Questions for the
vet.....

Simple mastectomy of that one beast can be done as a palliative to
reduce onset/source of pain, and source of cancer cells to move to new
places....

I don't know that I'd have any surgery done at her age..... due to
anesthesia stress as much as from the surgery itself.... but you know
Auntie Mabel and I don't.... and she's your dog. But I certainly think
you have a very realistic point of view...... and I think I kno you
well enough to say that you would do all in your power to avoid allowing
her to suffer a long and painful decline. If she also has colorectal
cancer, the big worry is bowel obstruction, and that's very obvious.....
vomiting is often present at about the same time obstruction occurs...
and any visible blood in/on feces.... if any are passed.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old December 31st 12, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"cshenk" wrote in message

Call me cruel, but I'll put her down early rather than have her in pain
for the remainder of her days if the surgery will cost her the ability
to just walk to the backyard for the remainder of her days. That's
just not fair to make her suffer.

You're not being cruel; you're being a caring, responsible dog owner.
It's the hardest decision you ever have to make and
I sincerely hope it's not Auntie Mabel's time to leave for the Bridge yet.
{{{Hugs}}}

Alison

Dog breast? Mai Dog health 1 June 11th 08 01:21 PM
Breast Cancer, Prevention Is The Cure [email protected] Dog behavior 0 February 11th 08 11:20 PM
Breast Cancer Statistics - How Breast Cancer Survival Rates Increased 50$B!s(B [email protected] Dog health 0 January 11th 08 06:41 AM
this single mom asking for help [email protected] Dog behavior 2 March 1st 05 02:16 AM
GARGLE MY BREAST MILK Frank ess Dog health 7 September 20th 03 08:16 PM