Potty training

Old March 11th 13, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Potty training

When should I expect to see results from potty training?
I have a 13-week old lab mix. I got him from a rescue group at six
weeks.

I'm with him all day and have him on a regular schedule of going out
and he readily pees when I take him out but makes no effort whatsoever
to ask to go out. If he has to go outside the schedule he just lets
fly.

Also, I have made zero progress in poop training. He has no
predictable schedule. Sometimes he goes within minutes of eating but
one day I spent eight hours of constant supervision after feeding him
and he finally went in his exercise pen.

Suggestions? I'm considering converting to crate training.
Old March 12th 13, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote in message
When should I expect to see results from potty training?
I have a 13-week old lab mix. I got him from a rescue group at six
weeks.

I'm with him all day and have him on a regular schedule of going out
and he readily pees when I take him out but makes no effort whatsoever
to ask to go out. If he has to go outside the schedule he just lets
fly.

Also, I have made zero progress in poop training. He has no
predictable schedule. Sometimes he goes within minutes of eating but
one day I spent eight hours of constant supervision after feeding him
and he finally went in his exercise pen.

Suggestions? I'm considering converting to crate training.

Try this forum for advice

http://positively.com/forum/

That's good your pup is weeing outside on schedule. They can't hold it
for long at that age so if they have to go , they have to go! About asking
to go out , I guess he doesn't realise yet that he has to "ask" and doesn't
know how to. At this age , its your job to make sure he has enough outside
trips to the garden .

When he does go outside , when he is actually in the act of weeing , say
Go potty . good boy and when he has finished m give him a treat and a fuss.
If you say Go Potty as he is weeing , he will make the connection between
the words ad the action . It varies how long it takes them to understand
but give it a couple of weeks and then you can take him outside and say Go
potty and he will go, hopefully!

Has he never pooped outdoors? What do you do when he poops inside?
usually pups circle before they poop so it easier to catch them befire they
go . he might have got in the habit of pooing indoors or doesn t feel
confident enough to poo outside, or he might not want to poo when you are
there.

Alison

Old March 12th 13, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:27:07 -0000, "Alison"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That's what I'm doing.

If you say Go Potty as he is weeing , he will make the connection between
the words ad the action . It varies how long it takes them to understand
but give it a couple of weeks and then you can take him outside and say Go
potty and he will go, hopefully!

It's been several weeks.

Has he never pooped outdoors?

I don't think so. I truly believe that he has decided that the house
is the proper place for pooping.

What do you do when he poops inside?

Clean it up and hope to catch him the next time.

usually pups circle before they poop so it easier to catch them befire they
go .

He either poops in his exercise pen or slips away down a hallway and
poops before we catch him. In either case, he is very fast and silent.
We've only once caught him in the act.