8 month old bitch and 8 year dog - border collies

Old March 14th 13, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default 8 month old bitch and 8 year dog - border collies

We have had the male dog for several years now, a big softie most of
the time and usually well behaved when out - except if he takes a
dislike to another dog, which is about 50/50. Then he tries to go in to
attack.

Now we also have his little step sister as from Christmas, 8 months old
and 1/3 his size. They had never met before she arrived at Christmas,
so we weren't sure how they would get on, but get on they do great. The
pair of them play fight happily for hours and chase each other around
the garden.

She is hyperactive, she is always either fast asleep, or running around
the house like a lunatic when awake.

Out on a lead, he is great - he just ambles along at your speed never
pulling. She constantly pulls and in different directions and if she
wants desperately to go in a different direction, she reverses to try
to get her collar off.

If we meet another dog while out with both of them, they both now try
to attack, mostly triggered by her reaction. She is very brave with big
brother to help her. Both are absolutely fine when their mother or
siblings visit and with dogs they know.

How do I stop this behaviour please?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old March 15th 13, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

Her behavior sounds a little odd for a young adolescent. Most dog go
through a brief period of testing dominance at seven to eight months as
they enter adolescence, get corrected by other dogs and go back to being
submissive until they start the transition to adulthood: 1.25-1.5 years.
You may just have her at the transition and things will settle down
again for a while, but she might be a dog that remains aggressive
through adolescence.

You might check if she is resource guarding you, and not being genrally
agressive.

If she is aggessive there are no guarantees. Distraction helps. Border
collies tend to love training. So get her into training and give her a
job to do. As another dog approaches work on traing. Have them sit, look
at you, down, shake, high five, etc. Be liberal with the awards if they
remain focussed on you and ignore the other dogs. Heel going away from
the approaching dog(s). Heel, where there is room, going around the
other dogs with a wide berth.

Did you try her in a dog park while she was younger? Four to seven
months was a great age for socialization and learning how to judge
reactions to other dogs. Usually 8-14 months is also good, and might
still be good for socialization, but given her behavior I would be very
careful. I would only go without your older dog. It is difficult to pay
attention to two dogs at once, and older dogs generally are not happy at
pdog parks, at least until they get so old that dominat behavior receeds
again. Large parks where the dogs can easily choose the degree of
interaction are best, but rare. I only know of one in my state. If all
you have is small (almost invariably fenced) parks, I would walk her
along the exterior fence to judge her reaction to the other dogs, and
only take her in if she is less aggressive without him.

border collies redbordy Dog breeds 9 August 20th 07 07:51 PM
Border Collies? Froggy Dog breeds 4 November 18th 06 07:33 PM
Agility Day 1 & Border Collies Tee Dog breeds 43 October 20th 05 02:55 AM
Mushing Border Collies Melinda Shore Dog behavior 176 December 1st 03 04:43 PM