A rescue star

Old May 14th 16, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default A rescue star

Notes from a Rescue Dog

Once I was a lonely dog just looking for a home. I had no place to go,
no one to call my own. I wandered up and down the streets in rain, in
heat, in snow. I ate whatever I could find, I was always on the go.

My skin would itch, my feet were sore, and my body ached with pain. No
one stopped to give me a pat or gently say my name. I never saw a
loving glance, I was always on the run. For people thought that
hurting me was really lots of fun.

Then one day I heard a voice so gentle, kind and sweet, with arms so
soft that reached down to me and took me off my feet. “No one again
will hurt you,” was whispered in my ear. “You’ll have a home to call
your own where you will know no fear.”

“You will be dry, you will be warm, you’ll have enough to eat. And
rest assured that when you sleep, your dreams will all be sweet.” I
was afraid, I must admit, I’ve lived so long in fear. I can’t
remember the last time when I let a human come so near.

As she tended to my wounds and bathed and brushed my fur, she told me
about this “rescue group” and what it meant to her.

She said, “we are a circle, a line that never ends.. In the center of
it, there is you protected by new friends. All around you are the ones
that check the pounds, and those who share their homes with you after
you’ve been found.”

“All the other folks are searching near and far, to find the perfect
home for you, where you can be a star.” She said, “there is a family,
they are waiting very patiently, and pretty soon we’ll find them, just
you wait and see.”

“And then they’ll join our circle, they’ll help to make it grow, so
there’ll be room for more like you who have no place to go.”

I waited very patiently. They days, they came and went. Today is the
day, I kept on thinking, my family will be sent. Then just when I
began to think it wasn’t meant to be, there were people standing there
gazing down at me. “I could tell they felt it, too, for a special dog
like you.”

Now every night I say a prayer to all the Gods that be. Thank you for
the life I live and all you’ve given me. But most of all, protect the
dogs in the pounds and in the streets. And send a Rescue Person to
them to lift them off their feet

Old May 22nd 16, 09:37 AM
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshenk View Post

--
What a wonderful piece! I should say it hit me emotionally while reading it. Thanks for sharing.

what star does you dog look like? culprit Dog behavior 30 June 12th 04 12:29 PM
what star does you dog look like? culprit Dog behavior 0 June 12th 04 12:30 AM
what star does you dog look like? culprit Dog behavior 0 June 12th 04 12:30 AM
Hilde's a star! Chris Dog behavior 0 June 5th 04 06:15 PM
The Star Chris Williams Dog behavior 11 August 2nd 03 02:04 AM