Hip Dysplasia

Old September 15th 03, 01:05 AM
Steve

Default Hip Dysplasia

Hello. My two and a half year old Bull Mastiff(85 lbs) has hip dysplasia
and I wanted to know if anyone has had a dog with the same problem. I'd
like to know what medications worked best for pain releif seeing as I don't
have the money for surgery. Currently, she is taking 1250 mg of
Glucosamine Hydrochloride daily. Thank you!

Old September 15th 03, 03:21 AM
FurPaw

Steve wrote:
Hello. My two and a half year old Bull Mastiff(85 lbs) has hip dysplasia
and I wanted to know if anyone has had a dog with the same problem. I'd
like to know what medications worked best for pain releif seeing as I don't
have the money for surgery. Currently, she is taking 1250 mg of
Glucosamine Hydrochloride daily. Thank you!

Sorry your dog has hip dysplasia! And at her age, too! Have you had her
hips x-rayed and evaluated for degree of dysplasia?

Our 9 year old GSD, Dylan, has it, and we're hoping to avoid surgery, but
that may be a pipe dream. Meanwhile, she started taking Deramaxx (a cox-II
inhibitor, like Vioxx) about a month ago, and we've seen a lot of
improvement in how much and how well she moves. Not like a puppy, but a
lot better than before. It's not cheap - about $3 per pill for a 90 lb
dog. She's also taking glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM (combined pill,
found in health-food store, probably cheaper if purchased as separate
powders), and fish oil caps for omega-3 and vitamin e. It's also important
to keep the weight of the dog down, and if she can tolerate mild exercise,
take her walking or, even better, swimming.

This web site contains helpful information.
http://www.lbah.com/Canine/hip_dysplasia.htm

Hope this helps.

FurPaw
--
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Old September 15th 03, 09:45 PM
Mark/Shell

Hi Steve,

My Border Collie was diagnosed with hip dysplaysia when he was 10 moths old,
he was quite stiff legged. He hurt himself during some rough play with my
other dog so when he went in to be neutered we had him x-rayed at the same
time. His hips don't bother him normal going unless he's had too much
exercise or rough play with Georgie. When he has a bad bout he takes rimadyl
but I'm not too keen on NSAID's (Non Steroidal Anit-Inflammatory Drugs) at
the moment he's on Glucosamine tablets which seem to be doing him good.
Surgery isn't needed, I monitor his weight closely to ensure he is lean so
there isn't any unnecessary weight for his hips to cope with. Exercise is
also closely monitored as is rough play with other dogs.
I would suggest keeping your dogs weight down and concentrating on exercise,
walking is good for the dog but not "fetch" games where the dogs has to
suddenly stop and start. Swimming is excellent exercise as it builds muscles
and is non weight bearing.

Shell

Old September 16th 03, 01:04 PM
Suja

Mark/Shell wrote:

the moment he's on Glucosamine tablets which seem to be doing him good.

You might want to look into this further Shell, but I'm told that liquid
Glucosamine is shown to have better bio-availability than the pill. I
have a friend with a dysplastic Great Dane who has to feed the liquid
version because the pills don't seem to do any good.

Suja

Old September 16th 03, 01:37 PM
Mark/Shell

"Suja" wrote in message
Mark/Shell wrote:

the moment he's on Glucosamine tablets which seem to be doing him good.

You might want to look into this further Shell, but I'm told that liquid
Glucosamine is shown to have better bio-availability than the pill. I
have a friend with a dysplastic Great Dane who has to feed the liquid
version because the pills don't seem to do any good.

Suja

Hi Suja,

I'm in a bit of a quandary over this one. Dougie doesn't seem to suffer any
effects of his dysplaysia unless he's had too much exercise or rough play
with other dogs so it's hard to know whether it's working or not. I have
read that liquid Glucosamine is more effective or if given in the injection
form.

Shell

Old September 17th 03, 02:59 PM
Suja

Monika I. Neszvecsko wrote:

Does Dysplasia only occur in the hip or shoulders as well since they support
most of dog's weight?

There is hip dysplasia, and there's elbow dysplasia. You can find more
information about both he http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0090.htm

Suja