Hip Dysplasia Surgery?

Old January 11th 05, 02:12 PM
NewsGroups

Default Hip Dysplasia Surgery?

I am considering having surgery performed on Astro, a Rat Terrier (age 2
years old) to correct the hip dysplasia later this year. I need your advice,
they a

Will sooner the better for hip dysplasia surgery while Astro is young?

What percent success rate for hip dysplasia surgery?

Once it is performed, will he be free of hip dysplasia problem for the rest
of his life?

Astro has pain in hip every once a while, I would say once a week, sometimes
once every 2 weeks (but he could be having pain while we are away at work).

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Old January 11th 05, 02:56 PM
Scott

There are different types of surgery used for dogs with dysphasia.
Which type are you considering? I have been in your shoes. I have had
a dog who had a total hip replacement, femoral head removal, and other.
How much are you willing to pay, and again, which surgery are you
considering?

Old January 11th 05, 10:16 PM
Pamela McElwain-Brown

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:12:03 GMT, "NewsGroups"
wrote:

I am considering having surgery performed on Astro, a Rat Terrier (age 2
years old) to correct the hip dysplasia later this year. I need your advice,
they a

Will sooner the better for hip dysplasia surgery while Astro is young?

What percent success rate for hip dysplasia surgery?

Once it is performed, will he be free of hip dysplasia problem for the rest
of his life?

Astro has pain in hip every once a while, I would say once a week, sometimes
once every 2 weeks (but he could be having pain while we are away at work).

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

You might want to look at holistic alternatives before jumping into
surgery. I chose this route with my miniature poodle Churchill and it
worked well. If you can find a good holistic vet they can help you
and/or refer you to a pet chiropracter who may be able to do
adjustments that may help (or confirm the need for surgery).

Pamela McElwain-Brown
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" A Study in Scarlet,
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1887

"Behind the Headlights: Presidential Limo" airs on the SPEED cable channel. Here is a link to the
schedule: http://www.speedtv.com/programs/323/ More at www.jfk100x.com.
"The Pretty Pig's Saturday Night", a new essay on "the SBT" is at http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/in...showtopic=2372.
Scroll down the main Ed Forum page to"Assassination of JFK", click on "JFK Online Seminars", and you will find my essay, plus many others.
Also, for more detailed limocentric questions and a backup of www.jfk100x.com please join jfk100x at
For information about my life away from research, visit www.themagicflute.org