Parvo and Distemper

Old January 31st 05, 03:37 AM
Mali More

Default Parvo and Distemper

Ok guys, I should probably post this on the health board, but I'm not
subscribed to it anymore...and you guys would probably be the ones giving me
the answers anyway.

A friend of mine got a puppy the other day. I talked her out of the
puppymill puppy (yah for me....but it was my first experience seeing a
puppymill in person and it made me just plain sick [both to my stomach and
my heart]), but she did get one later that day from a "hobby breeder." The
"hobby breeder" ended up not being a hobby breeder in my book...she ended up
being a supplier to a broker.

Here's how it went down: She called on an ad in the paper (there's only so
much influence I have). The lady said that she was a hobby breeder and her
puppies currently had parvo, so they weren't available. However, her mom
had a litter that was ready to go. After a big fiasco...and miles and miles
of driving we pull in this lady's driveway. The puppies were so much better
looking than the puppymill pups!

The lady took us back to the adult dogs (kept in pens that in my opinion
were too small for boxers, but they at least had a little bit of room to
move around and the pens were clean). The dogs appeared to be in good
shape, healthy coats, energetic, the right weights. They were nice
looking...I'm not an expert, but I at least know most of the breed standard
and what a boxer is SUPPOSED to look like. These were at least much closer
than the puppymiller dogs.

I couldn't talk my friend out of it, so she forked over her $300...I went
and pet the pup that I had "picked"...knowing I couldn't get one because I
couldn't afford it, and wouldn't get one because it would be
hypocritical...and said goodbye.

So, she ended up with Merlin. He is a good pup.

I got off the phone with her this evening, however, and Merlin is sick. His
head is hanging, he's vomitting. No fever. She's taking him to the vet
tomorrow.

My questions a What are the symptoms of Parvo? Can Parvo be carried
from one house to another? (Could the daughter who's puppies had Parvo have
carried it from her house to the puppies? How long could the puppy have
been sick before it had symptoms? Can a sick puppy be contagious to other
dogs? (that's probably a silly question). Can older dogs get Parvo, or is
it just puppies? What are the symptoms of distemper? What are the
treatments for Parvo and Distemper?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't talk her out of getting
this puppy, but that doesn't mean I want Merlin to die He really is a
sweet thing. Have you ever seen an ugly puppy? sigh

Mali

Old January 31st 05, 04:57 AM
Suja

Mali More wrote:

My questions a What are the symptoms of Parvo? Can Parvo be carried
from one house to another? (Could the daughter who's puppies had Parvo have
carried it from her house to the puppies? How long could the puppy have
been sick before it had symptoms? Can a sick puppy be contagious to other
dogs? (that's probably a silly question). Can older dogs get Parvo, or is
it just puppies? What are the symptoms of distemper? What are the
treatments for Parvo and Distemper?

No personal experience, but found information on Parvo he
http://nd.essortment.com/symptomscanine_rhnu.htm
http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

Distemper symptoms (doesn't sound like this is what he has)
http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/distemper/

Parvo is a really nasty disease, and the pup is in serious jeopardy if
he in fact has parvo. I know someone who lost his pup after trying
everything, and it was both emotionally and financially taxing. If you
have an emergency vet in your area, I would *strongly* recommend that
she take her pup in ASAP. The little ones can go downhill quickly, and
you want to stack the decks in his favor.

Good luck,

Suja
Old January 31st 05, 05:54 AM
Tracy Custer

I have had several personal experiences with parvo - with our first pup
years and years ago.....he contracted it at about 12 weeks of age, we
caught it very quickly, got him to the vet for serious treatment, and
over $500 later, Bear is now a happy 11 yr old aussie! I have also had
an adult foster dog come down with parvo, he too received treatment at
the first signs of the disease and also survived.

The main symptom is diarrhea - a very putrid, very specific smelling
diarrhea - usually mucus-y and often bloody. Vomiting, lethargy,
anorexia, fever - these are all followed. I believe the incubation
period is 7-14 days. It is EXTREMELY contagious to unvaccinated dogs
and especially pups (whose immune systems are less developed)......it is
transmitted in the feces of infected animals, and is a nasty virus to
kill. It can live outside in your yard or at a park for up to a year
and still infect unvaccinated animals. Everything a parvo dog comes in
contact with must be thoroughly cleaned with bleach or thrown away. A
parvo dog can shed the virus in their stool for more than 6-8 months
after they have recovered from the disease. Puppies are highly
susceptible, and have a 50% or greater death rate as they can become
dehydrated so quickly. The main problem with parvo is that the virus
attacks the digestive tract, specifically the lining of the
intestines.....dehydration is then followed by secondary infection in
the lining of the intestines.

Your best bet is to get that pup into the vet asap for a test for
parvo......because it is a virus, the treatment is solely supportive
therapy. The quicker you catch it and support the dog, the greater the
chance of recovery.

I know less about distemper......I think it is characterized by lots of
mucus and discharge from the eyes/nose along with a fever that comes and
goes. Good luck with the pup.

Tracy

Old January 31st 05, 05:21 PM
Rocky

Tracy Custer said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Your best bet is to get that pup into the vet asap for a
test for parvo......

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask: If you suspect your
dog has parvo, should you alert your vet so that you can bring
it in through a back entrance, bypassing the waiting room?

Old January 31st 05, 05:57 PM
Mali More

--

That would make sense to me, if Parvo is contagious (like I think it
is...notice that "think," that's why I'm asking questions. Was the post

Mali

Old January 31st 05, 08:26 PM
Kepytan

"Rocky" wrote in message

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask: If you suspect your
dog has parvo, should you alert your vet so that you can bring
it in through a back entrance, bypassing the waiting room?

my vet has a sign on the entrance saying that if your dog has diahrea to
please knock on the staff entrance.

dainerra

Old January 31st 05, 08:56 PM
AndreaS

"Mali More"
snip
That would make sense to me, if Parvo is contagious (like I think it
is...notice that "think," that's why I'm asking questions.

Yes, Parvo is highly contagious.

Was the post
from Tracy Custer in this thread, because the only reply I received is the
post from Matt. Is my OE screwing up?

Yes, OE is screwing up. There have been other posts in this thread. Get the
puppy to a vet ASAP. That is _now_. Parvo is very contagious and is
transmitted via feces. That is, if you stepped where parvo-poop was and
walked around, you're now spreading it. If you are in contact with Parvo
pups and don't wash up and sterilize you can easily transmit the disease to
other dogs. It is contagious to unvaccinated adults and puppies. It can live
in the ground for, IIRC, up to a year. Bad, bad stuff. The sooner Merlin is
treated, the better chance he has.

Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old January 31st 05, 09:20 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:57:20 GMT, "Mali More"
wrote:

Was the post
from Tracy Custer in this thread, because the only reply I received is the
post from Matt. Is my OE screwing up?

it's more likely that your newsfeed is dropping posts (unless you've
inadvertently killfiled the people whose posts you aren't getting). i
highly recommend trying the free server from Berlin. it updates
almost immediately and does not drop posts. It also filters out most
of the junk that gets posted in HTML.

http://news.individual.net/

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Thought is made in the mouth.
-- Tristan Tzara
Old January 31st 05, 11:21 PM
Tee

"AndreaS"
Yes, OE is screwing up. There have been other posts in this thread.

Its probably not OE since it doesn't know to do anything but download the
specified number of posts from the news server. It wouldn't be selective
about it. Its more likely that Mali's news server is to blame.

--
Tara

Old February 1st 05, 12:50 AM
Tracy Custer

Matt, that's a great tip......when our 1 yr old foster dog had parvo, I
suspected it right away from that familiar nasty smell of his stool.
When I told my vet, they honestly thought I was mistaken - they just
don't see parvo that often in adult dogs around here. But I persisted,
and talked them into a back door entry. Thank goodness, as he was
positive.

Tracy

EAT, SLEEP, DISC-DOG!

http://www.flyingk9s.com