Vunerable British and Irish breeds

Old March 28th 05, 07:25 PM
Sionnach

"Alison" wrote in message

19) Climber Spaniel....158

Was that supposed to be "Clumber" Spaniel by any chance?

Old March 28th 05, 07:39 PM

on 2005-03-28 at 13:25 wrote:

Was that supposed to be "Clumber" Spaniel by any chance?

what, you've never heard of the Vunerable Climber Spaniel?

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/
Old March 28th 05, 09:04 PM
Sionnach

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
on 2005-03-28 at 13:25 wrote:

Was that supposed to be "Clumber" Spaniel by any chance?

what, you've never heard of the Vunerable Climber Spaniel?

No, nor the vulnerable one, either.... or did you mean "venerable"? G
Wonder what a Climber Spaniel does - goes up the trees after the birds?
Suppose you could get that, if you crossed in Jack Russells....

BTW, Alison, I only commented on it because I suspect that even in this NG,
there are people who don't know there IS such a thing as a Clumber
Spaniel... well, and because "Climber Spaniel" *does* lend itself to funny
mental pictures. :-)

Old March 29th 05, 12:58 PM
Alison

"Sionnach" wrote in message

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
on 2005-03-28 at 13:25 wrote:

No, nor the vulnerable one, either.... or did you mean

"venerable"? G
Wonder what a Climber Spaniel does - goes up the trees after the

birds?

He's a dog that climbs down cliffs to rescue people and he carries
climbing gear and a fold up ladder.BG

BTW, Alison, I only commented on it because I suspect that even in

this NG,
there are people who don't know there IS such a thing as a Clumber
Spaniel... well, and because "Climber Spaniel" *does* lend itself

to funny
mental pictures. :-)

I'm glad you pointed it out , I hadn't noticed. I posted that to
loads of other groups and forums too !,sigh
Alison

Old March 29th 05, 06:43 PM
culprit

"Alison" wrote in message
PS I don't think Am staffs are banned in the UK , They advertise them
in the Exchange and Mart, which is not good for the breed or
individual dog

it seems like it might be open to interpretation...

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1991...en_2.htm#mdiv1

Dogs bred for fighting.

1.-(1) This section applies to-
(a) any dog of the type known as the pit bull terrier;
(b) any dog of the type known as the Japanese tosa; and
(c) any dog of any type designated for the purposes of this section
by an order of the Secretary of State, being a type appearing to him to be
bred for fighting or to have the characteristics of a type bred for that
purpose.

that seems like it could cover AmStaffs, or perhaps people use the name
AmStaff to get around the regulation... vague laws like this are what make
BSL so innefectual, IMO.

oh, interestingly, most dangerous dog bans in the US include Staffies as
dangerous. :-)

-kelly

Old March 30th 05, 09:33 PM
Alison

"culprit" wrote in message

"Alison" wrote in message

[...]

Hi kelly,
I think it's illegal to import those breeds into the country but it
wasn't illegal to own one that was already here but they had to be
neutered and muzzled in public. But pitbulls as a breed would die out
here under those rules. If Am Staffs aren't subject to neutering and
muzzling, then I would think they would be allowed into the country.
There's a Staffie on every corner where I live, I can't imagine them
being dangerous!
How different is US the dangerous dogs act or ban different from the
UK one. Is any breed of dog banned from the US ?
Alison

Old March 31st 05, 03:13 AM
Rocky

Alison said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

There's a Staffie on every corner where I live, I can't
imagine them being dangerous!

Perhaps that's why Staffordshire Bull Terriers aren't part of
the UK breed ban, it would be politically damning.

How different is US the dangerous dogs act or ban different
from the UK one. Is any breed of dog banned from the US ?

It's regional.

Old March 31st 05, 04:07 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:33:27 +0100 Alison whittled these words:

How different is US the dangerous dogs act or ban different from the
UK one.

There is no ban at the federal level. VArious citites and towns address
dangerous dog issues in various ways. Some by breed type as in the UK,
some by registered breeding, some in a kind of middle ground, the vast
majority deal purly with actual behavior, not noting breed at all.

Is any breed of dog banned from the US ?

No. There are some communities banning breeds, and a few bsanning by
breed type. There is no nationwide treatment of dog behavior in any
regard. Federal law (national law) does not even address actual vicious
or dangerous dogs nevermind presuming one to be so. That is consistent
with our legal system. Most laws are at the state level, individual
cities/townships/counties can have their own regulations. The general
social values of the US is that one does not judge an individual by making
presumptions based upon race/breeding/class. Obviously this is not
universal in the US but it is strong enough that a state like California
has a law that probibits local communities from creating breed specific
legislation. California law requires that dogs be judged on observed
behavior, not breed based presumptions.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old April 4th 05, 12:23 PM
caroline

"Alison" wrote

"culprit" wrote in message

today, AmStaffs and APBTs are illegal in the UK (they're

dangerous, doncha
know), but Staffy's aren't, and are popular dogs for children.

whew

any questions? :-)

They're not going to be on the list of vunerable *British* breeds
are they !
The Kennel club has a strict criteria for recognising a breed. JRT
are not recognised (, only Parsons are.

But if it was a true reflection of vulnerable breeds, between the IKC and
the EKC, then numbers wise the Jack Russell should be on the list with
regard to the number registered each year