Old dog cannot hold it, overnight - ideas?

Old February 3rd 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Roger Taylor

Default Old dog cannot hold it, overnight - ideas?

We have a 16 year old active and well exercised Pomeranian in otherwise good
health. In the past year he often cannot make it through the night without
popping out of his basket and quietly peeing on the bedroom rug. Half the
time, he manages to make it to the door and scratch, and we let him out, but
other times he doesn't appear to have time to express his wishes. Our only
solution so far is to hop-to, soak up the pee, and apply one of those
bio-digesters that is supposed to remove the scent.
One option that occurred to me was to put aluminum foil sheet around the
base of his basket, so the crinkly sound would awaken us. I tried it, and it
wakes us up, but he has too many false alarms, where he just wants to
stretch and have a limber-up session.
How about reverting to crate training, and putting him in a large open top
cardboard box at night, on the assumption he will scratch when he has to
pee, rather than soil his nest?
I am interested in how some of you with older dogs handles this inevitable
issue with elderly or incontinent pets.
Roger

Old February 3rd 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

At this age it would surprise me if his kidneys weren't compromised in some
way. A blood panel should be done to check his kidney function and you may
have to change diets so as not to overtax his aged kidneys so much. Also a
urinalysis should be performed to rule out urinary tract infection or other
related bladder abnormalities.

Either way, he's uncomfortable. Time to see the vet.

-Sharon

--
*The first casualty of war is always truth*
. ..

Old February 3rd 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Roger Taylor

"Sharon Too" wrote in message
At this age it would surprise me if his kidneys weren't compromised in
some way. A blood panel should be done to check his kidney function and
you may have to change diets so as not to overtax his aged kidneys so
much. Also a urinalysis should be performed to rule out urinary tract
infection or other related bladder abnormalities.

Thanks for the ideas, Sharon.
He has been to the vet recently, had a full blood panel, and was a bit low
on thyroid, so he has been taking a thyroid supplement.
Re his kidneys, two and one half years ago he had his left kidney removed
due to renal sarcoma, and had a stone removed from his bladder, but the pee
problem at night began at least a year or so later.
He has other signs of age, including pacing, both inside and outside,
repeating his route, suggestive of some degree of dementia, but has his
frisky and perky times, too.
Roger

Old February 4th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jen lynn

make him up a couple of belly bands they work great and you can buy on
line or make your own.

Old March 5th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Roger,
Someone here mentioned the belly bands for your incontinent dog. These
are also called dog wraps for males and they do work wonderfully well.

C and B

Old March 5th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Mar 4, 9:41 pm, wrote:
Roger,
Someone here mentioned the belly bands for your incontinent dog. These
are also called dog wraps for males and they do work wonderfully well.

C and B

I know what you are going thru. I have a 15.5 yr old mini poodle. He
can hold it thru the night if he doesn't get up to get water. He has
been checked for infection and had blood work. He is a little senile
and i think that is the most of the problem. He doesn't have
accidetns during the day or night (mostly) it is when i get
home. .there is more activity, he forgets where he is and that he was
just out an hour ago and will just start peeing in front of me. So
sad. I need to measure him for a belly band. He doesn't really squat
or hike his leg anymore. Rarely is there any indication that he needs
to go out. Sad that I will have to be making a decision this year.
The incontinence once in a while i can handle but if his mind starts
to go and stays gone.. I can't handle that

Good luck
tracey
Old March 5th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

He doesn't have
accidetns during the day or night (mostly) it is when i get
home. .there is more activity, he forgets where he is and
that he was just out an hour ago and will just start peeing
in front of me. So sad.

I'm glad that you had him checked for health issues which may
be causing this.

That said, he's peeing because he's happy to see you. At his
age, his muscles are no longer what they used to be, and he
may be lacking some control with his bladder.

If my old girl was still alive and happily greeting me at the
ripe old age of 15.5, I'd gladly clean up her pee. In fact,
she had bowel incontinence in her final months; pee is way
easier to clean up.

I need to measure him for a belly
band. He doesn't really squat or hike his leg anymore.
Rarely is there any indication that he needs to go out.

Then take him out on a schedule. At his age, treat him like a
puppy again. It'll make the both of you happier. At the end,
I had to hold good ol' Murphy while she peed, and I was happy
to.

Sad that I will have to be making a decision this year. The
incontinence once in a while i can handle but if his mind
starts to go and stays gone.. I can't handle that

Old age stuff can be managed to a certain extent. Our ability
to manage, though, is secondary to the dog's ability to cope.
In other words, even if it's gross, deal with it for the sake
of your old dog.

Overnight -how many hours? Q Dog rescue 4 December 1st 04 10:13 PM
Overnight Pooping bcj6402 Dog behavior 0 July 17th 04 12:38 PM
Overnight Pooping bcj6402 Dog behavior 0 July 17th 04 12:38 PM
Overnight Pooping bcj6402 Dog behavior 0 July 17th 04 12:38 PM
Overnight Pooping bcj6402 Dog behavior 0 July 17th 04 12:38 PM