expectations

Old February 15th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Default expectations

"Sue and Atty" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
"Sue and Atty" wrote:

At 11 p.m. Tuesday, police responded to the 2200 block of Oak St. to
assist
the homeowner get her poodle back inside the house. The poodle was
attempting to make friends with an opossum that was in the back yard
and would not listen to the complainant. The responding officer went
into the back yard and advised the poodle to get in the house, at
which time it left
the opossum and went for the back door. The complainant gained control
of the poodle and thanked the officer."

That is too funny. My opossum experience has not been all that fun (my
dogs killed 9 of the young 'uns and brought one half dead one in
through the dog door without my knowledge. It died behind something
and we had to try to find where the smell was coming from. Another
time, and adult decided to hunker down right up against my glass patio
doors to the yard. Shooing did not work). I love that the poodle was
"advised" to get back in the house!

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I've been a bit luckier - the baby played possum right in the middle of
the yard lat summer and Atty surprised me with a great "leave it"
(Maybe I just expected it??). The adult the other month was near the
border of the yard when it played possum and Atty wasn't about to go
that far out to investigate, even though she didn't have her invisible
fence collar on. But she did stand guard over it.

Our police reports crack me up - I loved the "advised" part, too. I
remember reading one where they listed exactly how many CD's, tapes,
etc. were stolen, and then proceeded to state that the "dog slept on the
floor during the robbery."

Must be a "very" rural location. Local papers will print just about
anything for content. Heck, here, even Tuck made front page, full color
Old February 15th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Sue and Atty" wrote in message
..bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I've been a bit luckier - the baby played possum right in the middle of
the yard lat summer and Atty surprised me with a great "leave it"

Not that you don't have a great Leave It but there is a reason why possums
play possum. It works on predators. There may be a dog who would still
attack a possum-playing possum but I've never seen one.

Judy

Old February 15th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
snip
Oh my GOSH.. That's hilarious! I read it to my husband, and he asked..

Are
these people breeding and turning their babies loose on society?

yup..... I'll never lose my teaching job!
Sue and Atty

very sad reflection on job security

Isn't that the sad truth.

Sue and Atty

Old February 15th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Judy" wrote:

There may be a dog who would still
attack a possum-playing possum but I've never seen one.

I think the reason my dog killed the 9 of them was that they weren't
mature enough to know to play possum. They were about the size of a 6-9
month old kitten.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 15th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
snip
Must be a "very" rural location. Local papers will print just about
anything for content. Heck, here, even Tuck made front page, full color

We had a flyball tournament in January and some of the teams from Mich. and
Maryland told us that they'd be back for another - they'd never seen such
newspaper coverage. The photographer gave me her cell phone number and
asked me to call about a half hour before lunch was over on Sunday so she
could pop over and take pictures of the local teams. I wouldn't say we're
"very" rural, but we're definitely not in the big city and there's often not
enough local news to fill the local daily paper. I wasn't thrilled by their
headline though - something along the lines of "Dog Racing comes to Town".

Sue and Atty

Old February 15th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:48:48 -0500, montana wildhack

On 2008-02-15 08:56:12 -0500, diddy none said:

What that magic is, I think is simply expectations.

I think confidence is part of the equation.

But people do transmit all sorts of negative energy to animals.

Boy, is that the truth.

We just got an application to adopt a greyhound from someone who has
had a lab or lab mix for about 5 years. The lab was supposedly found
wandering (neutered, so presumably was once someone's) and of course,
had been abused. He has fear issues and the owner said he keeps
developing new quirks, isn't that cute. He hasn't been to the vet
during the entire time they've had him because he's afraid of car
rides. So her niece, a vet tech, was "caring for him", getting him
heartworm meds and giving him shots. He hasn't had any health
problems. When I (very politely, believe it or not) pointed out the
gaps in health care provided only by a vet tech (and I mean no
disrespect to vet techs here), such as no comprehensive physical exam,
no rabies vaccination which is required by law, and wondered about
heartworm preventative etc. being supplied by a vet who had never seen
the dog, she went off on me big-time, saying I was condescending and
snobbish and practically electronically screaming that how were they
supposed to know they were "breaking the law"? I suggested
socialization to get the dog used to car rides and they said they are
NOT going to subject him to that. This family had done no reading or
research about greyhounds whatsoever and she didn't think they could
attend a meet & greet because her husband found them frightening.

She finished, of course, by saying she felt sorry for the greyhound
that was not going to live with them because they're a great home, and
her coup de grace: one more dog was going to be put down because they
weren't good enough for me.

Mustang Sally
Old February 15th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"Judy" wrote in message
"Sue and Atty" wrote in message
.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I've been a bit luckier - the baby played possum right in the middle of
the yard lat summer and Atty surprised me with a great "leave it"

Not that you don't have a great Leave It but there is a reason why possums
play possum. It works on predators. There may be a dog who would still
attack a possum-playing possum but I've never seen one.

Judy

No, I don't have a great "leave it", and I'm the first to admit it! - hence
the surprise when she actually did walk away on the first command. I was
thrilled she didn't poke and prod the possum-playing possum. I don't have
alot of experience with possum-playing possum, so I didn't know what to
expect from the little varmit.

Sue and Atty

Old February 15th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_3_]

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
(snip)
His idiocy never stopped, until my friend pulled him out as a demo dog.

As soon as she took the leash, she gave no corrections, talked softly, and
asked him to do an exercise. His attitude transformed. He was immediately
soft and supple, His obedience and attention were picture perfect. He was
on a loose leash, She handed back the dog to it's owner, and the dog made
MR HYDE transformation with the leash transfer.

WHY?

I think it was because my friend EXPECTED success. The owner expected
chaos. The dog lived up to expectations of both handlers.

I think expectations have a lot to do with successful dog training. I
think
it's that expectation that makes the magical property between success and
failure. If you don't expect high achievements, you will never get them.

I witnessed the magic of expectations with my friend, as I do in every
class I teach. It's nothing new, it happens in every obedience class
around
the country every day. The owners jaws drop in amazement as they watch the
transformation of their dog in the effortless hands of experience.

What that magic is, I think is simply expectations.

Yes, and an ability to communicate those expectations, quietly and clearly.

I've seen this with horses also, one rider can't control the horse, another
rider has the same horse performing dressage movements, willingly.

Karla

Old February 15th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
sighthounds & siberians wrote:
She finished, of course, by saying she felt sorry for the greyhound
that was not going to live with them because they're a great home, and
her coup de grace: one more dog was going to be put down because they
weren't good enough for me.

I suppose the good thing is that she didn't still think
she'd get the dog. Yikes.