Question 3 in MA and Prop 2 in CA Good news

Old November 6th 08, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

Default Question 3 in MA and Prop 2 in CA Good news

"Kathleen" wrote in message
And the school I was at today is rural. Really rural. That school and
the middle school and high school that it feeds into practically have to
call an official holiday for the opening day of deer season.

Around here, the translation of "practically have to" is "have to". School
has been closed here for opening day for generations - and there's no end in
sight. Not just because the *students* don't show up. It used to be that
they closed the first day of buck season then held an inservice day the next
day. Then two weeks later, school closed for the opening day of doe season.
PA has now combined the seasons so there are now only the first two days off
for students and one for teachers.

They held a mock election, and did an exit poll. The exit poll predicted
a landslide victory for McCain/Palin, which turned out to accurately
predict the actual results of the student election. I found that mind
boggling in a working class/agricultural community.

Not surprising to me. The NRA was working overtime here in PA. And the
Right to Lifers. They had people convinced that if Obama were to be
elected, the very first things he would do (probably even before being
inaugerated) would be to overturn Roe v. Wade - or at least guarantee tax
dollars funding abortion - and tax and license all guns to the point that no
one would be able to afford to continue to own them. My SIL has started to
hunt this year for the first time since she was a kid living at home. My
FIL told her to enjoy it this year because by next year, no one would be
able to.

And what Obama was going to do to your taxes - OY! I saw an interview with
a night security guard (even she was disappointed with her job so how much
could she possibly be making?) who was terrified that Obama was going to
raise her taxes to take care of the poor people! There was a letter to the
editor here from a new attorney who has a small office. Small as in just
him, not even a receptionist. He said that if Obama were to be elected, he
would never be able to grow his office to a reasonable and profitable size -
he'd have to stay like that forever. I'd guess that the average private,
family practice attorney in my county is netting something in the $75,000 -
$100,000 range after fully establishing his business. I'm pretty sure that
I'll never be hiring that young guy to mange my affairs!

The consensus in my class, however, was that Obama's big win did have an
up side, in that his girls were going to get their puppy. You've got to
admire that kind of generosity of the spirit.

Don't tell them but Obama said that there would be a puppy either way.
Originally he said only if he won but, in the way of all parents, he knew
when he gave that inch that it was going to translate into a puppy no matter
what.

Judy