Amazing Chocolate Lab Mix Needs a Big Fenced In Yard

Old April 16th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
Jennifer Krier

Default Amazing Chocolate Lab Mix Needs a Big Fenced In Yard

I have an amazing chocolate lab mix (7 yrs old) - great with other
dogs, great with children, a good watchdog, very sociable, etc. Up
until 4 months ago, she basically lived outside (came in only for
inclement weather and to watch TV at night). However, due to the
economy, we had to move to a much smaller house with no fenced in
yard, and Sam (female) is rebelling against being domesticated -
having accidents on purpose on the carpet and furniture. She loves to
run and explore and lay in the sun, and, quite honestly, she doesn't
get to do much of any of that in this new house. We're looking for a
new home for her that can offer a large fenced-in yard and plenty of
time and opportunity to enjoy it. Sam is truly a wonderful dog (about
75lbs - fully chocolate with a white star on her chest), and my son
and I are sorry to make this decision. However, we know it is for the
best.

Annapolis, Maryland
Old April 17th 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue
sighthounds & siberians

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 05:37:24 -0500, Charles Richmond
wrote:

Jennifer Krier wrote:
[...]

You've got two strikes against you already. During these tough
economic times, it is *very* hard to re-home a dog. So many folks
are dumping their dogs at the shelters because they can *not*
afford the dog. The second thing is your dog is considered a
*senior* dog. She *may* have seven more years, but most folks will
look for a younger dog.

Yes, and the third thing is that you've trained her not to enjoy being
indoors - not an easy feat, as most dogs want to be inside with their
people.

Perhaps you could give her more walks or look into some behavior
modification training.

An excellent suggestion.