Earthquake Observations

Old August 23rd 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Default Earthquake Observations

The temblor today in Virginia wobbled me and my worktable, an 8 hour
drive away.... which brought to mind the years I lived a quarter mile
(well, a bit farther than that, but not much) off the San Andreas fault
just south of San Francisco. My Dane never seemed to notice the
shakers, after the first one, which confused him while the floor was
moving.

Some of the Border Terrier owners in MD, DE, southeastern PA, and, of
course, the Charlottesville, VA, area, very near Mineral, the epicenter,
are reporting that their dogs were all taking afternoon naps and
suddenly jumped up, whining and crying, and starting to pace, seconds
before the owners felt movement. But can't recall any odd or just
somewhat different behaviors for the last 3-4 days.... No damage at
their homes.... a few things fell off walls and shelves.

Noticed that there was one last evening in a low-population area of
Southern Colorado....

Here, the movement was just enough to make me think I was having dizzy
spell. Within 5-10 miles here, there was significant movement....
window blinds moving, noticeable vibrating of floors. My guys?
Afternoon naps not disturbed. Birds? Their afternoon nap time, too,
apparently..... because they've been noisey just before and for an hour
or so after the few very faint temblors we've had from an epicenter
70-ish miles from here during the night.

Animal behavior before earthquakes fascinates me.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old August 26th 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Yeh, hit the road!

The only way we would get really hammered is if the hurricane made a
square hit on Savannah and came right up the Savannah River..... which I
understand hasn't happened in recorded history... or close to that. We
may not even get measurable rain from Irene.... but the season isn't
over yet.

We get evacuees.... and usually some rain, if it hits SC or GA.... East
side of FL.... And most SC and GA emergency services districts have
pet-friendly shelters... temporary, often in sports arenas, fairgrounds,
no cost, but with human shelters co-located or nearby, so owners can
care for their animals. Crates available, food, water, sanitation
supplies.... FEMA has required them since late '80s or early '90s, but
some states dragged their feet..... Horses can be housed at equine
facilities and boarding stables, farms, for free (signed contracts with
FEMA after inspections). There are even farms that take livestock. And
GA has one or more exotic pets facility. The boss and I took the
certification course for the state for shelter managers... but
realistically, would work under supervision of animal control officers.

FEMA has two very interesting home study courses dealing with animals in
disasters.... not exactly difficult.... Some states have the types of
course that the boss and I took, and courses for physical
rescue/extraction of animals after disasters. Some states, like NC and
GA, have a full time vet in the Office of Emergency Management. NC had
the first, GA had the second.

We have to take coastal evacuation seriously. But locally we do have a
couple of large dams upstream on the Savannah, and two nuclear
facilities in our metro area.... one a Dept of Energy facility and the
other a power plant.

Yeh.... earthquakes are not a major threat in my area. That's what
makes them so interesting. There are two small,minor faultlines in this
area... one in GA (my county) and one right over in SC, on the other
side of the river. Now and then we get a 1.6 or 2.1.... with much
excitement. And there's a slightly larger one up near Athens, home of
University of GA, that we feel on rare occasions.... never much over a
3-ish.

The first time GA set up one of the pet-friendly shelters, down in Macon
in the middle of the state, some guy showed up with an 8-foot alligator
in the back of his pick-up.... mouth taped shut. They sent him on to
the exotic pets shelter.....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old August 26th 11, 11:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

cshenk" wrote in message

I wish we could. Highways from here already glommered. Wish me well.
Virginia Beach.

--

Keep safe!
ali

Old August 26th 11, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Dogman wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:41:02 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

Dogman wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:11:23 -0400, (Jo Wolf)

wrote:
The temblor today in Virginia wobbled me and my worktable, an 8

hour drive away.... which brought to mind the years I lived a
quarter mile (well, a bit farther than that, but not much) off
the San Andreas fault just south of San Francisco. My Dane
never seemed to notice the shakers, after the first one, which
confused him while the floor was moving.
[...]

I wouldn't worry about the earthquake, Jo.

Worry about Hurricane Irene!

Ruuunnnn!

I wish we could. Highways from here already glommered. Wish me
well. Virginia Beach.

You should evacuate, Carol.

"God helps those who help themselves."

Thanks! One note for all and thank you for the messages.

Hurricane Irene slowed then shifted. They have evacuated many areas of
Virginia Beach and low laying Norfolk. People fleeing from North
Carolina glommered our roads last night. There was a free zone this
morning where it was not bad as the last of the folks from the
outerbanks came though. Then, sandbridge evacuated and finally at noon
they let the military go. (ships left already).

We are on high ground, 15 miles from the ocean and have a generator.

Only prep we needed? Second puppy-pad setup! Cash is adamant that he
will NOT go out in the yard to pee if it is raining. He will let his
eyeballs float as long as he can take it then bashfully make a puddle
or pile at the door we use to let him out at.

Hehehehe got him a puppy-pad and tray for that spot. It will rain for
36 hours or more straight.

Old August 26th 11, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dogman[_3_]

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:31:12 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

[...]
You should evacuate, Carol.

"God helps those who help themselves."

Thanks! One note for all and thank you for the messages.

Hurricane Irene slowed then shifted. They have evacuated many areas of
Virginia Beach and low laying Norfolk. People fleeing from North
Carolina glommered our roads last night. There was a free zone this
morning where it was not bad as the last of the folks from the
outerbanks came though. Then, sandbridge evacuated and finally at noon
they let the military go. (ships left already).

When you see Navy ships leave, it usually means that you should leave
too.

We are on high ground, 15 miles from the ocean and have a generator.

Do you have hurricane shutters? Reinforced garge door? Roof tie-downs?
Lots of fuel for the generator? Fuel for cooking?

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, kiddo.

You're going to need it!

--
Dogman
Old August 27th 11, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Dogman wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 13:31:12 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

[...]
You should evacuate, Carol.

"God helps those who help themselves."

Thanks! One note for all and thank you for the messages.

Hurricane Irene slowed then shifted. They have evacuated many
areas of Virginia Beach and low laying Norfolk. People fleeing
from North Carolina glommered our roads last night. There was a
free zone this morning where it was not bad as the last of the
folks from the outerbanks came though. Then, sandbridge evacuated
and finally at noon they let the military go. (ships left already).

When you see Navy ships leave, it usually means that you should leave
too.

Actually no, the ships leave early because most of them max out at 30
knots so in a storm wash, they may only make 15 knots headway. I shot
the straits of Malaka on the Fort McHenry (LSD43) at an overall headway
of 7 knots as we rode it out between 2 typhoons for 3 days with no safe
harbor to pull to.

Many of the Norfolk ships are at anchor because the swells would have
damaged the piers if tied to them. Rode out a Cat 5 in Sasebo at the
pier with double bumpers and every line they could manage to fasten to
the ship to hold her in place. Shipyard work time and we were riding
light until we loaded every piece of heavy stuff we could find (she'd
been defueled and deadsticked to the pier for work).

It's not a *bad* idea however to use that as an indicator.

Radio has 'well over 100,000' without power. All roads out from
southside now closed (mostly trees).

We are on high ground, 15 miles from the ocean and have a generator.

Do you have hurricane shutters? Reinforced garge door? Roof tie-downs?
Lots of fuel for the generator? Fuel for cooking?

Yes for all but roof tiedowns ;-)

I took a moment out to check my newsgroups but mostly our local
companion to the VB Freecyle group called the VB Cafe is popping and
has been last 2 days as we help folks new to hurricanes know what to
do. I'm proud to say the VB Freecyle is recognized in our area as one
of the best. With over 5,500 members in Virginia Beach, the other
cities versions of it have many asking to shift to ours but it's a
geographical thing so they have to live or work in VB to enter it.

We just shifted gears in the local freecycle to support post storm
needs.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, kiddo.

You're going to need it!

Thanks! Both pooches are taking a nap. The cat is bitching at all the
'water monsters' outside.

Irene is now 85MPH sustained winds and slowly getting worse.

Just in, 160,000 without power. See ya on the other side!

Old August 27th 11, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dogman[_3_]

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 11:22:04 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

[...]
It's not a *bad* idea however to use that as an indicator.

That was precisely my point, Carol.

Radio has 'well over 100,000' without power. All roads out from
southside now closed (mostly trees).

It now looks like Irene has been over-hyped, but...

We are on high ground, 15 miles from the ocean and have a generator.

Do you have hurricane shutters? Reinforced garge door? Roof tie-downs?
Lots of fuel for the generator? Fuel for cooking?

Yes for all but roof tiedowns ;-)

I'm surprised that local code doesn't mandate them for where you live.

[...]
Anyway, I wish you the best of luck, kiddo.

You're going to need it!

Thanks! Both pooches are taking a nap. The cat is bitching at all the
'water monsters' outside.

Irene is now 85MPH sustained winds and slowly getting worse.

Just in, 160,000 without power. See ya on the other side!

You'll be okay, but you'll probably lose power for a while.

What started out a Cat 4 is now barely a Cat 1.

--
Dogman

News on the Japan earthquake cshenk Dog behavior 2 March 12th 11 04:40 AM
ASCA observations Robin Nuttall Dog behavior 0 October 5th 08 10:06 PM
Observations diddy[_2_] Dog behavior 2 February 26th 08 07:13 PM
Cubbe- Observations Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 4 February 24th 08 02:10 PM
Boxer Bash Observations Tara O. Dog behavior 0 September 28th 03 02:27 AM