Did Cesar have to hang the husky?

Old June 21st 12, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
digitydew

Default Did Cesar have to hang the husky?

I'm sick and tired of people dissing Caesar.
1. he only takes on problem dogs
2. he gets results, usually in a very short time
3. I don't know of a single dog that was ever harmed, even if some people think his method looks too severe.

I'm also sick of "positive only" trainers acting like every dog can be trained that way. Some can, some cannot. Soft dogs can, usually. Hard headed ones with huge prey drive are not going to be impressed by it.

Get real, you so-called "trainers" out there. Respect someone who actually gets results *quickly*.

On Monday, April 30, 2012 1:24:31 PM UTC-4, Matt wrote:

(Jo Wolf) said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have seen "hanging" (short period, not going to make the
dog loose consciousness, but two feet off the ground, and
darn little weight still on the back feet) used ONCE in a
training session, for failure to sit promptly. It was not
my dog. It was a very soft Doberman bitch with a very
experienced owner. No aggression was shown by the dog. It
was done by a senior trainer hired by a club before I
became training director. I fired her. On the spot.

13+ years ago, Rocky was hung in the way you described by an
assistant trainer in an obedience class. In that situation, it
was for not staying while I was at a distance. If I'd been more
confident that my gut reaction trumped stupid training, that
"trainer" would have yelped louder than my dog.

That situation lead me to learn how to properly train my dogs
myself and it's turned out well.

--
--Matt.

Old June 22nd 12, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Having been involved with dog training since the mid-1970s, I've used
gazillion methods and combinations of methods. I have seen "hanging"
prevent dog fights and dog bites, but I have never seen it effective
beyond the short term as a training method. Good strong collar
corrections are usually pretty effective for certain dogs, but not
really before the dog already has a pretty reliable response to the
command (however That status was achieved).

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old June 27th 12, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Matt[_3_]

digitydew said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I'm sick and tired of people dissing Caesar.

Where did I diss Cesar (note the spelling)?

--
--Matt.
Old June 28th 12, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen[_2_]

"Matt" wrote in message

digitydew said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I'm sick and tired of people dissing Caesar.

Where did I diss Cesar (note the spelling)?

You only remarked that the trainer "hanging" your dog, for a relatively
minor disobedience, was totally inappropriate and you would have had every
right to accost the trainer physically and/or bring charges of animal
cruelty. The incident with Cesar was practically a matter of life or death
(or at least great injury), and he explained the situation very well.

I don't think that remark was meant for you, specifically, and the tone was
not in keeping with Cesar's calm assertive attitude and allowance for other
training and behavior modification techniques.

But I think digitydew has "left the building".

And Cesar has announced that this will be the last season for "Dog
Whisperer".

http://www.cesarsway.com/dogwhispere...n-Final-Season

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Husky cam! Lynne Dog behavior 3 February 9th 07 01:21 AM
It's true - anyone can hang out a shingle....... Janet B Dog behavior 12 May 25th 06 05:00 PM
Toy Husky?!?!? Janet B Dog breeds 5 December 6th 05 05:01 AM
Sibierian Husky pup Psychosis Dog behavior 0 April 25th 04 11:16 PM
[husky] Who owns a Husky here? Melinda Shore Dog behavior 4 August 1st 03 02:29 PM