Moving home with a spoilt Pom X Terrier

Old May 12th 12, 05:34 AM
rhiankadi rhiankadi is offline
Junior Member

Default Moving home with a spoilt Pom X Terrier

Hi there, this is sort of a complicated situation. We got our baby pom x terrier (not sure what kind), Buddha, 14 years ago. She is in good health considering she has been housebound for the last couple of years because my mum has been stalked and cannot leave her out for safety reasons. She has met a new partner and is moving in with him and his dog. His dog is much younger than Buddha but Im concerned as they have never really met and Buddha has become a bit of a grumpy old girl and she is used to being top dog (or human as she believes). She sleeps in the bed with my mum and is extremely jealous of anyone else that gains mum's attention including my 14 month old son, although she is getting a little better. My mum has said that if things are working out then she may ask my brother to take buddha or me. I would love to have her but as she is not toilet trained I couldnt have her inside and I just think putting her outside after she has been housebound for so long would be incredibly cruel. We also have chickens which look pretty damn tasty to Buddha when she comes to visit.

Im just wondering if there is anything i can do to aid the move, are there any tips or tricks for getting dogs to get along in this sort of situation?

would it be worse to remove her from living with my mum altogether and making her sleep outside or to put her into living with another dog, in their territory?

I love this dog with all my heart, she has been more like a sister to me than a pet, in fact when i had to move house to start my own family i cried more about the fact that I would miss her than anyone else in my family.

So anything people can suggest would be so much more appreciated than u can believe.
Old May 18th 12, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
canisfamiliaris

Dear rhiankadi,

No-one has answered this, maybe because it is kinda complicated!
1) old dog, 2) not housetrained 3) 'housebound' 4) doesn't like any human much except your mum 5) doesn't like other dogs ... 6) thinks chooks are prey and 7) mum wants to move her to live with another human and his dog.

First, it's worth having the dog vet-checked. See if there is a medical reason why she may need to wee indoors. Have her eyesight and hearing checked, and see how much exercise the vet thinks she can handle. If there is no medical reason why she cannot be walked, and is weeing indoors, then a short walk a few times a day should help her learn to wee outside. It should also help her be calmer indoors, ie she is more likely to sleep than be grumpy, once she comes back from a walk. This is true wherever she ends up living. If she doesn't trust your mum's partner, and he wants to get on with her, it may help for your mum to lead her up, them hand the lead to him, and have him walk her alone. Dogs tend to get on with people who walk them, tho' if she's nippy, it's safer to have your mum put the lead on at first.

Old dogs are often partly deaf and blind, and if so it takes them a while to get used to new surroundings. She will probably need to get to know her new home a little at a time, so it is easier for her to find her bearings.

As for getting on with another dog, this very much depends on the other dog, whether it will respect her need for space, or is socially inept and pesters her. Sometimes grumpy bitches can get on very well with polite younger dogs. However, whatever the other dog is like, meeting first on neutral territory helps (eg in a park), as does supervising the dogs all the time they are together at first, and giving them separate spaces to sleep until you are sure they get on.

And if she won't share a human's bed, your mum, (or you if you end up with her)could give her her own comfy spot that is gentle on her old bones, outside the human bedroom, and keep the bedroom door shut.

There are some articles on incontince here
http://www.infopet.co.uk/pages/5031a.html
but I would have her vet checked for possible medical problems.

Good luck.

--
rhiankadi