Multi-dog households

Old July 16th 12, 11:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
canisfamiliaris

Default Multi-dog households

Old-timers may recognise some of the people mentioned in the
acknowledgements in this article. This started out as a research
project, resulting in 'Owners Experiences of Multi-dog Households.'
That has been turned into this 'how to' article, with tweaks, eg this
article is more bearish on littermates, less breed deterministic.
Wendy has more experience and dog-related qualifications than I have,
so she provided comments. One interesting pattern that emerged is that
'two camps' divisions were less important than experience. Also, tho'
there were some cultural differences between Brits and US owners, they
were not very marked. The research looked at both what made successful
multi-dog households work, as well as why problems arose. If there is
anyone still around who helped with this, thank you.

http://www.infopet.co.uk/pages/0137.html

Alison in Spain
Old July 16th 12, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 03:06:10 -0700 (PDT), canisfamiliaris
wrote:

Old-timers may recognise some of the people mentioned in the
acknowledgements in this article. This started out as a research
project, resulting in 'Owners Experiences of Multi-dog Households.'
That has been turned into this 'how to' article, with tweaks, eg this
article is more bearish on littermates, less breed deterministic.
Wendy has more experience and dog-related qualifications than I have,
so she provided comments. One interesting pattern that emerged is that
'two camps' divisions were less important than experience. Also, tho'
there were some cultural differences between Brits and US owners, they
were not very marked. The research looked at both what made successful
multi-dog households work, as well as why problems arose. If there is
anyone still around who helped with this, thank you.

http://www.infopet.co.uk/pages/0137.html

Good article. I only vaguely remember this - when was the information
collected here?

Sally Hennessey

Old July 17th 12, 06:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Yep, good article.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old July 17th 12, 11:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
canisfamiliaris

On 16 jul, 21:22, sighthounds & siberians wrote:

Good article. *I only vaguely remember this - when was the information
collected here?

Sally Hennessey

Think it was 2003, the work is on my old computer at home, and I'm in
the library. I contacted a lot of people privately and badgered
them ... and you were one of those people. You told me a lot about
fencing, which you needed to know about with Sibes being escape
artists. Melissa was also helpful on Sibes. Spitz dogs are not common
in the UK, it was easier to find out about spitz characteristics from
America, and with Rug having many spitz traits, that was very helpful.
There's a two-year-old dog in Lagartera very like him, half border
collie, half husky. Poor thing is kept in a small yard, fed kibble and
stale bread, and never walked. Lady owner annoyed with him because he
destroys things. I'm tempted to offer a free walking service. There's
a lot of deja vu with that dog. Tilly and Conor, my littermates, also
half spitz, are still going strong, btw, deaf, almost blind, but
pretty perky for their age. Tobe, the newbie, would interest you if
you met him, because he is predominantly sighthound, with a twist.

Alison in a hot and dry part of central Spain

Alison in Spain
Old July 17th 12, 12:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"canisfamiliaris" wrote in message
[...]

That looks interesting. I hope to read it soon. I still have the
original research you did for the Think dog course and was reading it
recently. You put a lot of work into it.
Say hello to Wendy ! She was a great help when I did my Think cat course
in 2003.
Sarah Whitehead seperated from COAPE and took Think Dog with her and
her company is Clever dog co . There are three Think dog courses and I am
half way through the second one. I started last December and have two
modules to go . It's been the year from hell and I don't think I will be
able to finish it in time. (

Alison in wet soggy England !

Old July 17th 12, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 03:48:56 -0700 (PDT), canisfamiliaris
wrote:

[...]

I remember now...and now that you've mentioned your dogs' names, I
remember you! How pathetic...I'm usually not one of those who
remembers dogs' names but not their owners' names. Is Rug still with
you? That would be a perfectly descriptive name for a lot of Borzoi.
How old are Tilly and Conor? We are sighthounds only now, no
Siberians. The Borzoi hair is actually worse than the Siberians' was,
but Borzoi activity level suits us better. Do you have any idea what
Tobe is mixed with?

Old July 18th 12, 09:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
canisfamiliaris

On 17 jul, 13:55, "Alison" wrote:

*Say hello to Wendy ! She was a great help when I did my Think cat course in 2003.
* *Sarah Whitehead seperated from COAPE and took Think Dog with her and her *company is Clever dog co . *There are three Think dog courses and I am half way through the second one. I started last December and have two

modules to go . *It's been the year from hell and I don't think I
will be able to finish it in time. (

Hi Ali,

Wendy is a lovely lady, funny, open-minded, and tough, at the same
time with lots of heart. I did a Bruce Fogle review for her

http://www.animalcarecollege.co.uk/page.php?page_ID=32

which is a longer version of a review here (you need to scroll down to
finf it)

http://www.infopet.co.uk/pages/2037.html

As for Sarah Whitehead, well, she has recently brought out two books,
Good Dog and Clever Dog. I shelled out good money for Good Dog, as
this is an intelligent, dog-savvy lady with a lot of dog sense, and
was disappointed. There is a big gristly gobbet of undigested
oversimplified behaviorism bang in the middle ... and I know the lady
can cook when she wants to. So I wrote this

http://www.infopet.co.uk/pages/2033.html

which is more about the misuse of behaviourism in dog training, and an
unravelling of some of the tired old behaviourist platitudes that
people spout. It does dogs no favours to have such a polarised debate,
oversimplified crap on one side and on the other ...

Her Clever Dog has sold much better than Good Dog. Maybe she will
rethink her stance on training. Hope so for Dogs' sake.

If you have the stomach, please read the Sarah review. It probably
goes against everything you believe in, but check it out and let me
know what you think.

Take care, Ali in Spain
Old July 18th 12, 10:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
canisfamiliaris

On 17 jul, 18:57, sighthounds & siberians wrote:

Is Rug still with you? *That would be a perfectly descriptive name for
a lot of Borzoi. How old are Tilly and Conor? *We are sighthounds only
now, no Siberians. *The Borzoi hair is actually worse than the
Siberians' was, but Borzoi activity level suits us better. *Do you
have any idea what Tobe is mixed with?
-----
Rug died in 2008, general failure of everything due to age, I think.
He was frail for a long time, so there was plenty of time to tell him
what a wonderful dog he was, and say goodbye. Tilly and Conor will be
13 in October.

Tobe has been described as 'a dog with many fathers'. Almost certainly
he has a lot of podenco in him, and they are all-purpose hunting dogs.
He may also have some rat terrier. What surprised me is that he is an
obsessive retriever, and a velcro dog ... in that he pads round the
house after me if permitted, and wants to be right next to me when I
sit down. Except as he was a stray and had no owner for a long while,
he is also capable of independent forays on his own. If he gets bored
on our land, he just goes home along and barks at the door of our
house in the village to be let in. Plus he doesn't fret if you shut
him up alone.

He was thrown out of a hunting dog stockyard for being dog-agressive,
ie he had to fight bigger dogs in order to eat, because the owner
didn't give them individual bowls and supervise feeding. I can find
some podenco links, but think Ibizan hound, working line, then give it
a curlier tail and drop ears, scale the size down, and you have Tobe.

Alison in Spain
Old July 18th 12, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 02:01:51 -0700 (PDT), canisfamiliaris
wrote:

On 17 jul, 18:57, sighthounds & siberians wrote:

Rug died in 2008, general failure of everything due to age, I think.
He was frail for a long time, so there was plenty of time to tell him
what a wonderful dog he was, and say goodbye. Tilly and Conor will be
13 in October.

That's a good age. Only a couple of my Siberians have made it to 13.
Even my whippet littermates didn't get much past 12.

Tobe has been described as 'a dog with many fathers'. Almost certainly
he has a lot of podenco in him, and they are all-purpose hunting dogs.
He may also have some rat terrier. What surprised me is that he is an
obsessive retriever, and a velcro dog ... in that he pads round the
house after me if permitted, and wants to be right next to me when I
sit down. Except as he was a stray and had no owner for a long while,
he is also capable of independent forays on his own. If he gets bored
on our land, he just goes home along and barks at the door of our
house in the village to be let in. Plus he doesn't fret if you shut
him up alone.

It's such a different culture/lifestyle to be able to let the dog out
for a long jaunt on its own. Of course that also requires a dog that
would come back, and not attack livestock, etc.

He was thrown out of a hunting dog stockyard for being dog-agressive,
ie he had to fight bigger dogs in order to eat, because the owner
didn't give them individual bowls and supervise feeding. I can find
some podenco links, but think Ibizan hound, working line, then give it
a curlier tail and drop ears, scale the size down, and you have Tobe.

Facebook has a worldwide sighthound group, so I have some idea what
podencos look like, though there are different sizes. Does Tobe have
a wiry coat? Do you see a lot of Ibizans where you are?

Alison in Spain

Old July 19th 12, 09:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message

I remember now...and now that you've mentioned your dogs' names, I
remember you!

Alison used to post here as Roo as there was already another Alison
here.
The Other Alison !