Confusion in Aisle 6

Old November 19th 13, 05:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
SteveB[_4_]

Default Confusion in Aisle 6

I am trying to get my two dogs settled on a good kibbled dog food. The
brands are endless, and confusing. And the prices are all over the
board. They are a poodle/terrier mix, and a bischon possibly pedigree,
or slight mix, a rescue dog.

My bischon has upset stomach, and diarrhea occassionally. My wife is
always changing foods, according to the latest greatest thing she reads
or sees on tv. We have used Pedigree, Iams, Old Roy, Purina, and now,
Blue Buffalo.

Without spending as much as a human dinner would cost at a good
restaurant, what are your suggestions for a good standard nutritious
staple kibble? And do you mix yours with some canned? A client left
some Pedigree cans in one of our rentals, and they really liked a couple
of spoons of it in their kibble.

I want to take good care of them, just not sure about a good food for
them. They are very active dogs, as we live on a ranch, and they get
lots of exercise in their daily lives.

Thanks.

Steve
Old November 20th 13, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
William Clodius[_3_]

SteveB wrote:

[...]

As always check with your vet for the final word. One thing that helps
with some digestive problems is pumpkin. It usually inexpensive and
readilly available, though a couple of years ago the crop was widely
affected by a diseasse.
Old November 20th 13, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dave Garrett

In article ,
says...

[...]

We used to feed Innova kibble, but switched to Taste of the Wild after
the last Innova recall. Our GSD seemed to like Taste of the Wild better,
so it's worked out well so far. We mix it with Innova Adult canned.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Any high-quality kibble is going to cost more, and it's also likely to
be harder to find in stores as well. You'll find detractors for any
brand that's out there, but ultimately you need to do some research and
make as informed a decision as possible as to what's best for your dogs.
You'll definitely want to keep abreast of dog food recalls, as there
have been a bunch of them in recent years. I've found this site useful:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recalls/

Old November 21st 13, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cshenk

SteveB wrote in rec.pets.dogs.health:

[...]

Hi Steve,

There are many parameters to 'what makes a good food' for a dog. Lets
bring it down to the basics though.

1) Stay away from anything with big bold letters about how'holistic' it
is. Although there are some very reputable brands that say that, most
of them are bunk. They add 1/2 a cup of dehydrated blueberries to
lowest common denominator other ingredients and just to price to Blue
Wilderness levels.

2) Dogfoodanalysis.com can be your friend in learning how to read the
labels so you can avoid the hype and see what you are getting. REad
them with a little grain of salt though. They are a bit condecending
on any food with any wheat, corn or soy event though most dogs do not
have issues with this.

3) Roughly 1/2 the foods that are priced in the middle zone, belong
among the cheapest foods due to quality issues. Roughly 1/2 the top
end prices belong at best in the middle zone prices.

4) Blue Buffalo/Blue Wilderness is a very decent brand. They had one
recall about 5 years ago. Acana has not had a recall yet but their
company sister product Orijen has had recalls.

5)Your Bischon probably would benefit from a stable diet without any
fast shifts. If she also is ear infection prone and itchy, she probably
has some level of food allergies. You do not need expensive and often
not very reliable tests if so. Look at the label for a food she/he
tolerates well plus ones they do not. There's a high chance you will
find either a specific meat or wheat/corn/soy in the one they do not
tolerate that is missing from the one they do tolerate. Once you find
that, check treats as they can be as much at fault.

6) Yes you can add a little wet to their diet along with the kibble.
Just follow the same allergin issues on what is in the can if that is
an issue at your end.

Carol

Old November 26th 13, 10:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Roshan Lal

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:59:30 PM UTC+5:30, SteveB wrote:
[...]

Its really nice to know it...

thanx
Old December 8th 13, 10:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cyndi

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:29:30 AM UTC-5, SteveB wrote:
[...]

If you really want a good food stop feeding kibble. It's garbage. Dogs are meant to eat meat. They are carnivores. Kibble is cereal.