Bark Collar? Which one?

Old July 31st 08, 06:37 PM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pet.dogs,rec.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Bark Collar? Which one?

I have a French bulldog that is a very good dog, but often goes to the fence
and barks excessively. A little barking is good, but I don't want to
alienate the neighbors with constant yapping. Will an anti-bark collar
help? She is very trainable and remembers unpleasant consequences very
well.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

Old July 31st 08, 07:19 PM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pet.dogs,rec.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Tom Ginkel" said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

[Follow-ups set to rec.pets.dogs.behavior]

I have a French bulldog that is a very good dog, but often
goes to the fence and barks excessively.

What do you currently do to stop this behaviour?

A little barking is good,

In this case, I'd say that a little barking is not good. Dogs
deal easiest with black and white, and a little barking is
still barking.

but I don't want to alienate the neighbors with
constant yapping.

A very good goal. Some dog owners don't consider their
neighbours.

Will an anti-bark collar help?

No. I have no problem with remote e-collars used properly,
but bark collars (set off by the bark) may lead to an
unintended increase in your fence fighting issue.

She is
very trainable and remembers unpleasant consequences very
well.

Train her, then. A bark collar doesn't train.

From: Shelley )
Subject: no bark training revisited
Date: 2003-11-06 14:50:21 PST

Typically, the dog stops barking within seconds.

I have to disagree with this. Not our dog. We tried
one (and never will again). When the doorbell rang,
he would tear over to the door and bark and bark
and bark with this collar on.

He'd end up screaming in pain and it continue to
zap him until it hit its maximum.

I will never torture my dog like that again.

--
Shelley & Rusty
http://www.bump.us/rusty

------------------------------

BARK! ZAP! SCREAM...ZAP ...SCREAM...ZAP... SCREAM...
ZAP... SCREAM...ZAP...SCREAM...ZAP ...SCREAM

"Susan Fraser" wrote in message

Did you try it on your throat? Not very pleasant.

Umm, yes. As a matter of fact, I did. It the sensation is actually much
milder than it is on the palm, which has sweat glands and so conducts
more.

You're full of crap.

"JC" wrote in message
.. .

A friend of mine told this story about his experience with a
shock-collar:

Jim's sister-in-law had a shock collar she wanted to use on
her dog stop it from barking. Not being very technical, she
brought it over for Jim to assemble and adjust. Jim got it all
put together and decided to try it on himself to see which
setting would be most appropriate.

With the collar around his neck, set on minimum, Jim tried
a little bark... woof.

Nothing.... Woof Woof. Nothing.... Bark. Nothing.... Bark
Bark. Nothing... BARK! ZAP! The collar worked! Unfortunately,
the zap was painful enough to make Jim scream with pain,
which the collar interpreted as another bark, which lead to
another ZAP!

Which made Jim scream again...

ZAP...SCREAM...ZAP...SCREAM... Eventually, Jim got the
collar off but it never survived the chance to end up on
the dog.

(Names have been changed to protect the stupid) : )

--------------------

From the Dayton Daily News: 05.05.2001]
Lawsuit on dog's behalf could set legal precedent

Electrified collar burned family pet

By Cathy Mong
Dayton Daily News

VANDALIA | A civil lawsuit filed by a Vandalia family on
behalf of its injured dog could set legal precedent in Ohio,
says Dayton attorney Paul R. Leonard, an avowed animal
lover who wants the state to toughen its penalties for
abuse of pets.

Leonard, former Dayton mayor and state legislator in the
1970s, said the case of Boomer, a 4-year-old rambunctious
golden retriever burned by an electrified collar, is the first to
be filed by his newly formed Center for Animal Law and Advocacy.

The lawsuit, brought by Andrew and Alyce Pacher and
their children, Andrew III, and Sarah, against Invisible
Fence of Dayton, is set for a pretrial conference May
17 in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court.

Leonard, who has studied animal law the past 18 months
through Lewis and Clark College in Portland, Ore., is
incorporating his center as a nonprofit organization.
He said he hopes Boomer's case can put some bite into
what he describes as antiquated criminal laws regarding
animal cruelty.

Scott G. Oxley, the lawyer for the Centerville fence company,
has filed a motion to dismiss three of the five counts in the
lawsuit because he said that, under Ohio law, companion
animals are considered personal property.

"This (lawsuit) was filed by Boomer, that's how I read it,"
Oxley said. "It's my opinion that it's clear dogs cannot sue
under Ohio law. I would be surprised if a court would extend
to this dog an ability to file a lawsuit."

Leonard said Oxley is correct, but he's going to court because
the legislature has not toughened criminal laws. Leonard said
his center's focus is to use the civil courts to collect damages
when animals have been intentionally harmed or suffered from
someone's negligence.

"If judges aren't going to penalize them criminally, we'll go
after pocketbooks," Leonard said.

Leonard said "Animal-friendly" legislation gets "little or no
serious consideration" by lawmakers, "but I think the
movement is getting stronger. People are treating animals
more like family and less like property. I think the votes are
there."

Although 27 states recognize forms of inhumane and cruel
treatment of animals as felonies, Ohio does not. Only
Tennessee limits awards in civil lawsuits - $4,000 - based
on emotional distress and loss of companionship of a pet.

Ohio House Bill 108, introduced last year to increase
penalties for people who are abusive or cruel to companion
animals, died in committee, said Kevin Usilton, executive
director of the Humane Society of Greater Dayton. Ohio's
existing animal welfare laws have remained virtually
unchanged for 125 years and are among the country's
worst, he said.

The Pachers' lawsuit claims the fence company's negligence
caused Boomer to suffer psychological damage and physical
injuries.

The Pachers purchased Invisible Fence of Dayton's "Top Dog
Package," which cost $1,527.80 and advertised "praise-based
training" in its "classic conditioning techniques with radio
technology." An electrical wire is buried in the yard and the
dog wears a special collar that shocks the dog with electricity
if it goes beyond the fence.

Boomer repeatedly escaped the Pachers' back yard after
the fence was installed so the company's "pet consultant"
told the Pachers that Boomer needed sandbags attached
to his collar to slow him down so he'd get a "greater
correction " - a more prolonged zap of electricity transmitted
through a metal-pronged collar, according to court papers.

After a month, the Pachers asked for another consultation,
and this time a second collar - providing a total of six metal
prongs - was placed by the company representative snugly
around Boomer's neck, and the amount of electricity was
increased, the lawsuit states.

According to the Pachers' veterinarian, Boomer received
second-degree burns on his neck.

Usilton said the voltage appears to be a "brutal amount of
(electrical) charge to cause that kind of pain and injury,"
and said Boomer's owners should bear some responsibility
for the injuries.

Nevertheless, Usilton said the case might "bring to light the
stupid, antiquated laws" governing companion animals in Ohio.

Old October 30th 08, 08:15 PM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pet.dogs,rec.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:37:33 GMT, "Tom Ginkel"
wrote:

I have a French bulldog that is a very good dog, but often goes to the fence
and barks excessively. A little barking is good, but I don't want to
alienate the neighbors with constant yapping. Will an anti-bark collar
help? She is very trainable and remembers unpleasant consequences very
well.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

I use a citronella spray collar on my doxie. It's extremely effective
and humane. It helps a ton with safety issues, too, since he'll try
to bolt into the street after a passing dog or person unless he's
wearing the collar.
Old October 30th 08, 08:23 PM posted to alt.animals.dog,rec.pet.dogs,rec.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Mason Barge said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I use a citronella spray collar on my doxie. It's
extremely effective and humane.

How is it humane? The smell lingers - there's no defined end to
the pushment that the collar provides.

It helps a ton with safety issues, too, since he'll try to
bolt into the street after a passing dog or person unless
he's wearing the collar.

Why do you think that happens?