Any such thing as a LOW ALLERGY dog

Old December 11th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Any such thing as a LOW ALLERGY dog

Any such thing as a LOW ALLERGY dog

just as it says , both myself and my daughter seem
to have an allergy , itchy when around dogs or cats
for some time , never officially had anything diagonosed

Just wondering if theres any particular breed that has a
particular coat thans known to be less problematic

Old December 11th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Espaceman" wrote in message
Just wondering if theres any particular breed that has a
particular coat thans known to be less problematic

Most of the wiry coated breeds. Think first of those breeds that require
professional (although you can learn to do it yourself) grooming. Poodles,
schnauzers, bichon frise, soft coated wheatens, many of the terriers.

You can check out the individual breed clubs - they all have websites.

You also need to spend some time with a breed - in a closed area. You can
then determine whether or not you are reactive to that particular breed.
It's really the only way. I know people who are allergic to some of the
normally "safe" breeds but not to other.

Judy

Old December 11th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article ,
"Espaceman" wrote:

itchy when around dogs or cats
for some time , never officially had anything diagonosed

First step - see an allergist. I *am* very definitively, allergic to
both cats and dogs. I live with both and surround myself with literally
hundreds of dogs every year. There's a price in the form of medication
and immunotherapy, but for ME, it is all worth it. Self-diagnosis
isn't much good, nor is iffy commitment. Find a breed that is
compatible with your lifestyle. Better yet, find a few. See an
allergist. Get started on whatever you need to start on. Then
volunteer to help at events with the breed rescue for the breed, then
volunteer to foster. You can experience being around the dogs, living
with them, helping them, without a permanent commitment. If you then
find yourself able and willing to make the commitment, you're all set.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 11th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Espaceman wrote:

Any such thing as a LOW ALLERGY dog

Not really. Most people are more allergic to dandruff and saliva than to
coat per se. The specific proteins in the dandruff and saliva can vary
between breeds (and individual dogs) and the sensitivity to those
proteins can vary between people. Things that help include dog size,
small is better, a coat that retains dandruf between washings, and that
requires frequent washings will be better.

That being said medications help some people a lot. I have a friend that
claims to have strong cat allergies, takes medications, and has two cats
that sleep on his bed. He also has a Irish Setter. However I also
volunteer at a shelter and we get several pets a year turned in because
of allergic reactions, typically asthma in children. Before getting any
pet where allergies are a concern I would see the animal (with your
daughter) several times to judge the strength of the reaction, and be
very cautious if the reaction has a strong effect on the respriatory
system.

Old December 11th 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Espaceman" wrote in message
Any such thing as a LOW ALLERGY dog

just as it says , both myself and my daughter seem
to have an allergy , itchy when around dogs or cats
for some time , never officially had anything diagonosed

Just wondering if theres any particular breed that has a
particular coat thans known to be less problematic

I suffer from moderate allergies and was very worried when we first started
looking for a dog. We ended up with Nelson, a pedigreed Havanese. He's
been fine and I've not had any allergy problem that I can attribute to him.

Since then we've also added Bindi, a mix of Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
and Coton du Tulear. Again, no serious problems.

A friend of ours has a Samoyed whose coat drives me insane.

But that's just me. Each person needs to do research and to spend some time
with a breed.

Old December 11th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article ,
"Tom Royer" wrote:

A friend of ours has a Samoyed whose coat drives me insane.

But that's just me. Each person needs to do research and to spend some time
with a breed.

Keep in mind too, that building immunity to one's own pets is common. I
don't touch "strange" cats, but have had several cats over the years,
most of which cuddle near my face at some point of each day. To the
OP - I live with moderately coated dogs (lab mix and longer-haired
retriever breeds - Golden and Flatcoated). I actually tolerate that
type of dog better than dogs with incredibly short and smooth coats
(pointers, bully breeds, etc).

--
Janet Boss