When is the right time to neuter ??

Old May 13th 11, 11:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default When is the right time to neuter ??

On 5/12/2011 6:29 PM, cshenk wrote:
Char wrote in rec.pets.dogs.health:
Daisy-chan wrote:

When did your cat get an email address?

She's a smart cat.

I can't believe you would recommend not treating a dog with
heartworms because 'it takes many years to kill a dog'.

Of course you would not believe it. You are clueless.

Oh I've got clues on you now. You'd let a heartworm infected dog just
linger on without vet treatment until it killed them, hoping your raw
feeding diet and holistic tinctures would magically fix it.

You are making things up again. First of all there are effective cures
that don't involve a vet or their pesticides. However, that is not what
I was referring to. Heartworms take years to kill and the most common
"cure" vets use is to poison your pet with arsenic. Sometimes dogs don't
make it through the treatment because it's so severe. If a dog is
elderly already then just leaving them be can be the best way to go
because the dog will actually live longer untreated. You'd rather give
the dog arsenic anyway even though it is old and has been living on a
very poor diet which means it has less of a chance to make it through
the treatment. That is because you don't know what the "cure" involves.

That is why some use ivermectin if the infection is not far along. Even
that is not safe for many dogs, particularly those collie breeds.

The gestalt of what you say leads to 'you do not take your pets to the
vet' or if you do, it's when it's too late for preventive treatment or
early intervention.

You need to stop lying about what I say and mean just to suit your purpose.

Me, when mine go, I'll *know* I've done the best for them as I always
have which I am sure you *think* you are doing as well.

I would never, ever even *consider* leaving a heartworm infected pet to
suffer the final fate without treatment as you say you would.

What I said was that older dogs will die of something else before the
heartworms kill them, especially if they have a strong immune system. It
was never suggested that a dog suffer in any way. Stop being dramatic.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Heartworm-...ion&id=2350468

"Most holistic practitioners and alternative veterinarians will explain
that the healthy pet, that eats a good diet, is vaccine free, and is not
currently on any heartworm medication or chemical flea and tick
preventatives, most likely has a strong immune system that will fight
off heartworm. None of the larvae will survive and become adults. In the
unlikely event that some of the larvae should manage to survive to
adulthood, it is not the death sentence that many vets and
pharmaceutical companies want us to believe. A truly healthy dog will
not be a hospitable host. His strong immune system will weaken
heartworms and the pet should be able to fight them off with no lasting
ill effects to his health.

Dr. William Falconer, a homeopathic veterinarian in Austin, Texas
states: "The heartworm has been out there forever as far as we know, but
we don't read reports of wolves and coyotes being wiped out by
heartworm, and yet domestic dogs are falling prey to it."

The reason why our domesticated pets are falling prey to heartworms is
because they have weakened immune systems. Canines in the wild are
eating raw meat and bones and are never exposed to chemical treatments.
Their strong immune systems fight off heartworm in the larvae stage, or
very few heartworms survive and they do not threaten their hosts' lives.

Veterinarian Dr. Levy practiced for many years in California and treated
many dogs with heartworms. He observed that the only dogs that developed
symptoms of heart failure were those with yearly vaccines, being fed
commercial dog food and receiving drug treatments for other symptoms
such as skin conditions.

Old May 13th 11, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Daisy-chan wrote:

[...]

There are treatment alternatives, such as ivermectin at higher doses
than the montly preventative, which are safer for older dogs and are
used by many rescues due to affordability. I doubt that's what Char's
talking about, though, since she is against montly heartworm
preventative.

It's not that I'm against it. I just feel, as do many others, that a dog
that is on a species appropriate diet, isn't exposed to pesticides and
other chemicals (such as the preventative) and is healthy, will be able
to fight off a heartworm infection on it's own. I know people who have
done this for decades successfully. And since the preventative is a
poison, it's not good for dogs and would decrease their natural ability
to fight off illnesses and heartworms.

Your average dog that lives on kibble, gets way too many vaccinations
and is given heartworm preventatives and flea products like Frontline
(both of which harm dogs) would not be able to fight them off. Such a
dog would be better off with a "preventative" unfortunately but would
never be as healthy as it's raw fed, vaccine free, chemical free
counterpart.

There would be a huge difference in the one dog to the other in how
affective their immune systems were working.

When is the right time to neuter ?? kundian Dog health 3 April 30th 11 09:20 PM
Dog neuter cshenk Dog behavior 5 September 8th 08 12:03 AM
neuter?? MauiJNP Dog behavior 4 November 30th 04 03:33 PM