Pfizer Sued After Dog Dies From Rimadyl Toxicity

Old September 11th 11, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Pfizer Sued After Dog Dies From Rimadyl Toxicity

I was speaking in generalities, and am certainly glad that your dog had
those painfree days!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old September 16th 11, 10:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Pfizer Sued After Dog Dies From Rimadyl Toxicity - Char

On 9/7/2011 11:13 PM, Jo Wolf wrote:
It was on the MSNBC medical news page on Wed. Will try to remember to
post the url after i do email. Not the study report itself, but
reporting on it. The study was looking at (Hold onto your hat, this
sounds weird, but it made sense.....) how many people had to take what
dose of what drug before a significant number reported satisfactory
relief from pain. It was a retrospective study.... using patients'
reports to their doctors, as recorded in medical records. They
obvioulsy couldn't go out and arbitararily give multiple drugs and
combinations of drugs. To keep the source and type of pain standard,
they looked at records of people who had teeth pulled. I recall one rug
required 2.5 people to get it in that dose before one person reported
relief. Codiene wasn't very effective at all.... that one I recall.
The general finding was that NSAIDS, non-NSAIDS weren't very good, and
neither were the codiene based drugs, but some combinations were. One
good one was acetomenophen (Tylenol) and Ibuprofen in combination....

The problem with the study is that different pains react differently to
different drugs. If I take my back meds for tooth problems there is not
much in the way of relief. For me, a tooth problem is cured best with
ibuprofen for example.

And both acetomenophen and nsaids like ibuprofen are hard on kidneys and
liver. I have a liver disease and have to steer clear of both as much as
possible yet oxycodone is safe (at least for my situation) and I don't
become addicted to it.

Patients and nurses kept telling surgeons, Years Ago, that Demerol was
not very effective for most surgical pain. Finally some
anesthesiologist did a study and came up with the no-news-to-us that
Demoral was only a "medium" pain reliever with significant respirary
depression. Soon as that hit the journals, we started going back to
good, dependable morphine, which is a good pain reliever and also a
significant respiratory depresant, after major surgery.

I can testify to that also since I had Demerol given to me after a liver
biopsy and it didn't help much at all. However, since the study was
about tooth pain I guess surgery pain isn't relevant. If only all pains
were the same and could be treated the same but they aren't.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old September 17th 11, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Yeh, all Demerol did for me post-op was make me "drunk" and in pain....
but fortunately, the pain wasn't severe (gall bladder removed using
endoscopes, so just 3-4 1 inch incisions.... not the huge incision
required in the past and still in specific cases. The next day, they
changed my meds, and I really only Needed it Desperately when the doc
pulled the drain, and for that, I got a nice jolt of morphine.

I usually worked in surgical ICU or the regular surgical ward, and it
was interesting to see who reported having how much pain, for how long.
It varied widely. Now, with the precision electronic pumps, a patient
can control pain med administration, and Much less is usually needed.
In the past, the patient would wait until it hurt like hell to ask for
pain med, and the nurse might be tied up with something for some time
before s/he could get to the desk to sign out a narcotic and get it to
the patient.

The most horrible night of my career was during my senior year (1963) in
a hospital nursing school when I was covering TWO adjacent 35+ bed
cancer wards as charge nurse and the only person who could give
medications..... with two (expected) deaths on one ward, and one
(expected) death on the other, and the paperwork required for those. I
literally ran all night, giving pain meds, trying to pass regular meds,
and dealing with the deaths. Today, NO hospital would permit that kind
of staffing deficit.... The LPNs couldn't give any meds or adjust IV
speed or do sterile procedures.... the aides and orderlies could do less
than the LPNs.... and the intern had to be called to re-start any IV
that quit working. And only students or RNs could write notes and chart
meds. Patients ended up having much more pain than was justified.
Those two wards were in a T configuration.... I was so exhausted that
when I got off duty that morning about 8:30 or 9, I slept 12 hours and
my classmates knew I hadn't eaten, so had gone out and brought back
canned soup and sandwich makings for me.... I almost cried when I got
to work that second night and found out that I had the same two
wards.... but the evening shift had been told to make sure that patients
were well medicated, even if their shots were a half hour early, a no-no
in those days. Most of them slept through the night, no one died, and
there were no sterile procedures ordered for night shift.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old October 15th 11, 06:15 AM
Member

That's something we should be aware of. We should always be cautious of what our dog is ingesting especially the medicines.
Pekingese training is not a joke. You need to have patience, dedication, perseverance, and heart. Do you have them all???

Last edited by PickePekingese : October 15th 11 at 05:27 PM.

Raisin Toxicity Leah Dog behavior 12 May 1st 04 04:53 PM
Raisin Toxicity Leah Dog behavior 0 May 1st 04 01:15 AM
Raisin Toxicity Leah Dog behavior 0 May 1st 04 01:15 AM
Raisin Toxicity Leah Dog behavior 0 May 1st 04 01:15 AM