Dog - Treatment for Vitiligo (Leucoderma)

Old July 25th 08, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.health
mlv

Default Dog - Treatment for Vitiligo (Leucoderma)

I took on a rescue Black & Tan Doberman bitch about 9 months ago. She is
just coming up to 2-years-old.

Over the past 2 months or so, she has started to develop pale (almost white)
patches on her nose, lips, eyelids and jowls. Onset of this problem seems
to have coincided with her being spayed.

The problem is the skin pigmentary disorder Vitiligo, also known as
leucoderma or achromia, which is the loss of skin-pigmentation (melanin).

Does anyone know of an effective treatment or cure for this disorder?

TIA
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from email address before firing off your

Old July 25th 08, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.health

The problem is the skin pigmentary disorder Vitiligo, also known as
leucoderma or achromia, which is the loss of skin-pigmentation (melanin).

Does anyone know of an effective treatment or cure for this disorder?

I'm not sure that one exists for people, nevermind dogs. The
treatment for people seems to be mostly to stay out of the sun or wear
heavy sunscreen so that the contrast is less noticeable. A quick
google shows that most of what's being pandered out there are herbal
remedies and pigmented oils, nothing "medical".

My only suggestion would be to keep her out of the sun as much as you
can, watch for burns, and maybe rub sunscreen into those areas that
tend to get burned (but I don't know how effective that'd be on the
nose, lips and jowls, or if it'd simply get licked off).

Good luck,
--Glenn Lyford
Old August 5th 08, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.health
mlv

Glenn wrote:

My only suggestion would be to keep her out of the sun as much as
you can, watch for burns, and maybe rub sunscreen into those areas
that tend to get burned (but I don't know how effective that'd be on the
nose, lips and jowls, or if it'd simply get licked off).

Thanks for the advice.

The dog hasn't been in the sun much, so I don't know whether ultraviolet
rays are contributing towards the skin- disorder, or not. It may be an
autoimmune problem, or it may simply be genetic.

There are a couple of websites claiming a cure for vitiligo in humans (e.g.
Vitligo Tab), but unfortunately no such claims for animals.

I'll keep searching!

Old August 5th 08, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue
mlv

"Human_And_Animal_Behaviour_Forensic_Sciences_Rese arch_Laboratory" wrote:

Welcome to The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin
Insanely Simply...

stanch verbal diarrhoea

Unfortunately, any useful information that may have been contained in your
post was rendered inconspicuous by the seemingly pointless verbosity.

Old August 8th 08, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.pets.misc,rec.pets.dogs.health,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue

On Aug 5, 10:31*am, "mlv" wrote:
"Human_And_Animal_Behaviour_Forensic_Sciences_Rese arch_Laboratory" wrote:

Welcome to The Sincerely Incredibly Freakin
Insanely Simply...

stanch verbal diarrhoea

Unfortunately, any useful information that may have been contained in your
post was rendered inconspicuous by the seemingly pointless verbosity.
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from email address before firing off your
reply-

Perhaps we have another Todd on our hands.

I've come to have my doubts about spaying. A birth control option
might be
healthier. The female dogs would be far less likely to be incontinent/
leaky
and not need other daily meds to combat it if they still have a decent
estrogen level
from their ovaries.

On the other hand a bitch in heat can bring the "guys" in from blocks
around so
avoiding that experience is important to me. Though these days I'd
assume
most of the "guys" are traveling light and hence uninterested.

Would DHEA improve female canine incontinence? Any opinions.
Old April 4th 14, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Hi Mike,
5
I think we might have the cure for canine vitiligo. Our female retriever came down with canine vitiligo about 4-to-5 months ago. The good news is that she is just about CURED.

Here is what we did: Breeder has us start her on fish oil and granulated kelp, our vet put her on tritop cortisone creme and told us to take her to a canine dermatologist, So, we took her to UC Davis, a veterinary university in California. They had us put her on vitamin C and (very important) B vitamins that ALSO contain Intrinsic Factor, which is a dietary protein that aids in the absorption of b-vitamins. The very special intrinsic factor B-vitamins are manufactured and sold by Wonder Laboratories, and are called TrinFac B Intrinsic Factor. She has been on the Trinfac B and the vitamin C for about two months and her vitiligo is about 3/4 cured. I am optomistic, in another 2-months, it will be just about completely gone.

To put it all together for you, here is what we do:

Once a day:

1/2 tsp granulated kelp
1/2 tsp Norweigian cod liver oil
2 tablets Mega Red krill oil

Twice a day:
one in the morning and one in the evening evening, one tablet 500 mg vitamin C (two tablets per day)

3 times a week:
1 tablet TrinFac B (Mon Wed Fri)
1 tablet Solaray Zinc and Copper (Tues Thurs Sat)

Best wishes - I hope this helps you dog as it has helped ours. TO find the TrinFac, Google : Wonder Laboratories TrinFac B Intrinsic Factor. A bottle of 100 or 120 capsules costs about $15 US.