Need Dog Food Recipes for Kidney Disease / 14 year old Bearded Collie

Old December 12th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
GillisMcGill

Default Need Dog Food Recipes for Kidney Disease / 14 year old Bearded Collie

My beautiful black and white 14 year old Beardie was diagnosed with
Kidney Disease last week. They vet has prescribed Hills Science Diet
Prescription K/D for her. I am trying the dry and the canned. She ate
one or the other mostly the canned for a few days. Now she is loosing
interest in both. I tried spiking the canned with some of the canned
version of her old dog food [Premium One Lamb and rice] but she just
isn't very interested. She's still eating it but not eating as much.
So now I am thinking I need to make my own. I need some recipes. It
would be great to get a few different ones. I will do anything for
this dog. I don't care how complicated the recipe is I will try it.
Thank you for your help and or advice. - Gillis McGill
Old December 12th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"GillisMcGill" wrote in message
My beautiful black and white 14 year old Beardie was diagnosed with
Kidney Disease last week.

She's still eating it but not eating as much.
So now I am thinking I need to make my own. I need some recipes. It
would be great to get a few different ones.

.......First, kidney disease sometimes causes excess acidity, which gives
them a belly ache. Ask your vet for meds to control it. Regular antacids
will work (like Pepcid), but you'll need to get dosages from your vet.

......There's a couple of Yahoo Groups dedicated to canine kidney issues, one
is general, the other has to do with nutrition. Think one is K9kidney.
Check this site for info on kidney and diet and referrals to the groups:
www.dogaware.com

Good luck to you and your pup. Kidney disease isn't an instant death
sentence. Can't be cured, but it can be managed.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old December 12th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"buglady" wrote in message

Check this site for info on kidney and diet and referrals to the groups:
www.dogaware.com

...For some weird reason this site won't come up for me right now. Don't
know if it's the ice storms or she's been hacked. So go here instead:
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsindex.php

One of the newsletters on kidney issues with link to Yahoo kidney diet
group:
http://www.b-naturals.com/May2004.php

Old December 12th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

"buglady" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

www.dogaware.com

..For some weird reason this site won't come up for me
right now. Don't know if it's the ice storms or she's been
hacked.

Must be the ice storms, it works for me.

OP: you may want to look at Caroline Levin's books. I'm not
sure if _Dogs, Diet and Disease_ (Subtitle: "An Owner’s Guide to
Diabetes Mellitus, Pancreatitis, Cushing’s Disease, and More")
covers kidney issues, but the author is responsive to email if
you have questions.

http://www.petcarebooks.com/books.htm

Old December 12th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Rocky" wrote in message:

http://www.petcarebooks.com/books.htm

Do you have her Canine Epilepsy book? In light of whatever is going on with
Khan, I would like to try 'Dogs, Diet and Disease', but statements like
this" Dog owners want to know which of their dog's health problems initiated
the others. In reality, these conditions are not precipitated by one
another, at all. These problems are simply different expressions of the same
root problem - commercial pet food." make me wary. If you have the other
book, did you find it to be well cited?

Suja

Old December 12th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Do you have her Canine Epilepsy book?

Yes.

In light of whatever
is going on with Khan, I would like to try 'Dogs, Diet and
Disease', but statements like this" Dog owners want to know
which of their dog's health problems initiated the others.
In reality, these conditions are not precipitated by one
another, at all. These problems are simply different
expressions of the same root problem - commercial pet
food." make me wary.

Part of the book involves food. She covers both the benefits
and drawbacks of feeding commercial food, and breaks down
commercial food into bad, good, better categories. In the
section about things which can initiate seizures, there's a
lot about food. Which makes sense. I didn't see an
unequivocal statement like the one you quoted, though she
certainly promotes home-prepared food.

Her epilepsy book is a good first read and a good compilation
of stuff that I've found elsewhere.

If you have the other book, did you
find it to be well cited?

Every chapter in the epilepsy book is fully referenced. The
final bibliography does run the gamut, though, from references
to API of America and Billinghurst to peer-reviewed scientific
journals. I can't speak to the other books.

Old December 12th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Rocky" wrote in message:

Every chapter in the epilepsy book is fully referenced. The
final bibliography does run the gamut, though, from references
to API of America and Billinghurst to peer-reviewed scientific
journals. I can't speak to the other books.

This bodes well. I've been meaning to get a few dog books anyway, so what's
one more?

Suja

Old December 12th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I've been meaning to get a few dog books anyway, so what's
one more?

I see that Levin's books are available at dogwise, now. When I
bought the epilepsy book, I got it directly from her - but it
came autographed!

Old December 16th 07, 03:25 AM
L Kane L Kane is offline
Junior Member

Please call Dr. Harvey of Dr. Harveys Dr. Harvey's.com - Heart. Health. Integrity.
on Monday 1-866-362-4123. He will give you advice. He is very helpful and there is never any charge to speak with him.
Old December 16th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

L Kane wrote in
:

Please call Dr. Harvey

Just FYI, this is the same person who spammed then sock-puppeted the
thread on "Healthy Pet Food is Better..." I wouldn't recommend
trusting some anonymous kook with your dog's health.

And Dr. Harvey? He appears to be a chiropractor. boggle

--
Shelly

Kidney Disease? Suja Dog health 6 March 24th 07 12:24 PM
What is the toxic substance causing the kidney failure in the tainted dog food? [email protected] Dog health 4 March 21st 07 11:59 PM
11 Year BC diagnosed with Kidney Disease. Experiences from Others plz [email protected] Dog health 4 June 17th 06 12:15 AM
dog food recipes ll Dog health 0 March 4th 06 02:53 AM
Food for kidney disease Jayebea Dog health 9 March 6th 05 10:45 AM