Stroke

Old December 19th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
harvtran

Default Final result.

Took the dog to the vet today who has been his vet from day 1 and saw him
just last week. He was acting stressful all this morning and started to
drool. At the vet's office he started going nuts. Making guttural noises
like he had never made before. Barking. Being aggressive and trying to get
into corners. We could not calm him down. Really stressed out to the point
the whites of his eyes were turning pink.

The vet took him in the back and on three different occasions an assistant
came in and said "If you hear him back there don't worry - we are not
hurting him." Once they told us they were just trying to take his
temperature.

The vet came back and said they put him in a temperary enclosure and he
continued to bark (which he rarely did) and faced one of the rear corners.
He said he was a completely different dog than he was a week ago and for
the first time in his life tried to bite. The vet even checked to make sure
his rabies shots were up to date which they were. He said it probably was
not a stroke since he had normal motor skills. It was nothing to do with
his heart because he probably would have fainted from all stress he was
putting on it.

All the symptoms and behavior pointed to it being neurological. It was not
CCD because his personality had changed so much in the last week since he
last saw him and CCD normally takes longer. In fact his personality was
worse yesterday than the day before, worse today than yesterday and worse
this morning at 9 a.m. than it was at 7 a.m. The thought of what it was
going to be tonight was not pleasant. We didn't even want to think of how
it might degenerate from the 22nd through the 25th.

We had three choices:

- get an MRI or X-rays which might identify the cause but surgical
treatment would be difficult because of his age, a heart murmur and
pancreatitis.
- Provide drugs to lower anxiety levels for a short term solution. In other
words a drug labotomy.
- Don't proceed any further.

We asked what he would do if it were his pet and he said he wouldn't
proceed. We made the decision to release my 24/7 companion for the last
13-1/2 years from his torment.

Old December 19th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

harvtran wrote:

We asked what he would do if it were his pet and he said he wouldn't
proceed. We made the decision to release my 24/7 companion for the last
13-1/2 years from his torment.

*****HUGS***** I just went through this with Winnie, and I am sending
you hugs galore. It's never easy, is it?

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old December 19th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

"harvtran" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

I'm so sorry for your loss and impressed that you were so compassionate that
you released him from his pain and made it your own.
God speed
Old December 20th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

harvtran wrote:

We asked what he would do if it were his pet and he said he wouldn't
proceed. We made the decision to release my 24/7 companion for the last
13-1/2 years from his torment.

Helping our dogs move on is one of the hardest yet the best things we
can do for them. We could wish they would live 70 or 80 years, but they
don't. I'm very, very sorry for your loss.

Old December 20th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"harvtran" wrote in message
We made the decision to release my 24/7 companion for the last
13-1/2 years from his torment.

I am so sorry. My condolences to you and your family. Remember the joy of
his years of companionship and honor him for sharing them with you.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old December 20th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
harvtran wrote:
We asked what he would do if it were his pet and he said he wouldn't
proceed. We made the decision to release my 24/7 companion for the last
13-1/2 years from his torment.

I'm really, really sorry.

Old December 20th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw[_2_]

harvtran wrote:

We asked what he would do if it were his pet and he said he wouldn't
proceed. We made the decision to release my 24/7 companion for the last
13-1/2 years from his torment.

I'm really sorry for your loss. You made a difficult decision
that was the ultimate kindness. I hope your happy memories of
most of his life with you give you comfort.

FurPaw

--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dogs.
Old December 20th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

harvtran wrote:

snip
We had three choices:

- get an MRI or X-rays which might identify the cause but surgical
treatment would be difficult because of his age, a heart murmur and
pancreatitis.
- Provide drugs to lower anxiety levels for a short term solution. In other
words a drug labotomy.
- Don't proceed any further.

We asked what he would do if it were his pet and he said he wouldn't
proceed. We made the decision to release my 24/7 companion for the last
13-1/2 years from his torment.

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was lucky to have you.

Old December 20th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

"harvtran" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

We made the decision to release my 24/7 companion for the
last 13-1/2 years from his torment.

I'm very sorry. You put a lot of consideration into a tough
decision.

Old December 20th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know your head says he's in a safe,
comfortable place now. It will just take a little while for your heart to
catch up. Remember all the loving years he gave you and you gave him.

-sharon

My dog may have had stroke today. Help. Robin Dog health 2 March 25th 05 07:25 AM
Dog Stroke JSigrest Dog health 24 October 7th 03 02:49 AM
Dog Stroke JSigrest Dog health 0 October 4th 03 03:23 PM
Mini stroke Dog Lover Dog health 10 September 17th 03 01:11 AM
Mini stroke Dog Lover Dog health 0 September 16th 03 02:51 PM