Suture or TPLO for ACL tear

Old January 16th 11, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Aron Gregg

Default Suture or TPLO for ACL tear

This question comes up so often that I wanted to share my experience.
My dog, an 11 year old chow/retriever mix, had a TPLO on her right
leg. The very day she got the clear for normal activity, she tore the
ACL on her left leg. This time I had moved to a different part of the
country where no one was doing the TPLO surgery, so I had to have the
traditional repair done. One year later, the knee that had the TPLO
was perfect, but she still limps heavily on the leg that had the
suture repair. I really wish I had done the TPLO on both.
Old January 28th 11, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Char

On 1/16/2011 5:23 PM, Aron Gregg wrote:
This question comes up so often that I wanted to share my experience.
My dog, an 11 year old chow/retriever mix, had a TPLO on her right
leg. The very day she got the clear for normal activity, she tore the
ACL on her left leg. This time I had moved to a different part of the
country where no one was doing the TPLO surgery, so I had to have the
traditional repair done. One year later, the knee that had the TPLO
was perfect, but she still limps heavily on the leg that had the
suture repair. I really wish I had done the TPLO on both.

Thanks for your observations. Hopefully it will help someone else in a
similar situation.

Char
Old April 10th 11, 05:13 PM
iAmTerri iAmTerri is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron Gregg View Post
This question comes up so often that I wanted to share my experience.
My dog, an 11 year old chow/retriever mix, had a TPLO on her right
leg. The very day she got the clear for normal activity, she tore the
ACL on her left leg. This time I had moved to a different part of the
country where no one was doing the TPLO surgery, so I had to have the
traditional repair done. One year later, the knee that had the TPLO
was perfect, but she still limps heavily on the leg that had the
suture repair. I really wish I had done the TPLO on both.
It would be best for your dog and you to see another veterinarian for a second opinion. Considering that it has been a year since she had it repaired, that leg should have been fully functional by now. The defect may have worsen over time because the underlying cause was not addressed via TPLO.
Old April 10th 11, 05:17 PM
iAmTerri iAmTerri is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmTerri View Post
It would be best for your dog and you to see another veterinarian for a second opinion. Considering that it has been a year since she had it repaired, that leg should have been fully functional by now. The defect may have worsen over time because the underlying cause was not addressed via TPLO.

You may also visit a university veterinary hospital nearest you. They will surely have the best facilities and know-how to help you with your problem.
Old April 26th 11, 04:52 PM
iAmTerri iAmTerri is offline
Junior Member

I'm interested with any developments that your dog may have on the leg which did not undergo TPLO. Any advice from a vet?

A tear-jerker Melinda Shore Dog behavior 3 October 12th 08 03:27 PM
CCL tear Kathleen Dog behavior 13 July 16th 08 08:50 PM
Cruciate ligament tear Greg[_2_] Dog behavior 10 January 10th 08 10:17 PM
TPLO or Sutcher for ACL Repair [email protected] Dog health 5 November 24th 06 02:36 PM
recurring pad tear [email protected] Dog health 3 October 11th 06 03:05 PM