Female dog humping male cat

Old May 26th 04, 04:31 AM
Mike

Default Female dog humping male cat

Hi guys,

I'm new to this NG, so I apologize if this is off topic.

I have a female dog (half chihuahua half fiest), about 7 years old.
She's been an indoor pet since she was just a few weeks old, not
spayed, but a virgin. She was an only child until about a year ago.

About a year ago, I obtained 2 male cats (not exactly by choice). The
cats have been neutered, and have been indoor pets since they were a
few months old.

For the last couple of months, my dog has taken to humping one of the
male cats. This cat happens to be the less aggressive of the two cats,
and tends to be my "scaredy-cat." I understand that this is usually
the dog showing dominance, and not so much a sexual thing, but it's
been going on long enough that I think the cat has gotten the hint.

I don't want to disturb any natural adaptation here, but I don't want
my dog to spend the next several years humping my cat, either! How
long should I let this go on before trying to intervene? For that
matter, just HOW do I intervene??

TIA,

Mike