My experiences with finding the right dog

Old October 13th 03, 02:25 AM
Rich Spencer

Default My experiences with finding the right dog

I thought I would post this to see if others are in this same situation
and also to allow those in shelters and rescue societies to know at
least what some of us are thinking.

We recently lost our 9 year old Basset (whom we got from a Basset rescue
group and were very good and helpful) and decided to get another smaller
dog. We were looking for a dog that was medium size, less than 50 lbs.
and wanted an older dog (1 to 6 years of age). Although we had several
breeds in mind, we would also be open to a mutt as long as he or she was
affectionate and good with our two daughters.

We thought that this would be a relatively simple process but were
surprised at all the hoops that we had to jump through. We looked at
the local shelters to begin with thinking that we would have a good
chance of finding our dog since we didn't want a puppy. What we found
was that many of the dog were either much older than we wanted or
shepard, dobe or lab mixes. Most of the dogs in fact were larger dogs.
Many of the shelters would also not adopt dogs to those of us without a
fenced in yard. In out town, that eliminates about 60-70% of the homes.
I know that from talking to others that many people lie about this but I
didn't feel that I should have to lie to get a dog. When I was with our
basset, I either had him on lead outside or was next to him when he did
his business.

I then looked at several rescue organizations since we had good luck
with the basset rescue. I couldn't believe some of the requirements
that some of these groups had. While many had the fenced in yard
requirement and home visits (the home visits could be a good idea) some
groups insisted that I feed the dog a wholistic diet and even one rescue
group insisted that they would not allow a dog to be adopted if the
owner would not agree to feed a diet of raw meat and bones to the dog.

I eventually found a breeder who had the dog for me. He was an
excellent breeder who just happened to have a dog that he was retiring
and it worked out well. The dog got along fine with the kids and we are
very happy with our decision. He checked us out by viewing our family
and how we interacted with the dog and vis versa.

I realize that there are people who try to adopt who shouldn't and that
some people's motivations to adopt aren't what they should be. However,
many of these restrictions only serve to discourage dog ownership and
force people to go to backyard breeders As an adoptive parent, we went
through many hurdles including home studies, background checks and the
like and have had to deal with requirements that just seem to make no
sense. I would encourage shelters and rescue groups to have standards
but also to be realistic. Good dog owners can have non-fenced in yards
and feed dogs Iams dog food. Don't eliminate people who would like to
adopt a dog just because they don't fit into your ideal dog owner
profile.

Just my 2 cents - your mileage may vary
Old October 13th 03, 03:52 AM
Tara O.

I don't think a rescue organization, or even a breeder, should *require* a
particular form of diet as long as the dog doesn't have special dietary
needs..like dogs with irritable bowel syndrome or food allergies. Each
rescue operates differently even if they are operating within the same
breed. There does tend to be alot of micromanagement going on but

a. the rescue has the ability to mircomanage
b. the rescue has its own ideas on what's best for the dogs
c. while its not optimal to keep dogs in rescue for a long time, the space &
time are there so turning away homes isn't detrimental to the dog

The fence issue is pretty standard although IME exceptions are made on an
individual basis. Since alot of dogs wind up in shelters because they were
loose and roaming, wanting a family to have a fence for containment makes
sense. Alot of people tend to just let the dog out when weather stinks or
something else is going on inside the home. If no fence is in place then
there's a possibility that as soon as a back is turned, the dog runs off.
Some breeds are more prone to roaming as well, either following a scent,
chasing another animal, or just to go looking for fun.

Anyway, the point is that rescues will have good reasons for having the
requirements they do, that doesn't mean the general public will agree with
them though. Their primary goal, contrary to popular belief, isn't just to
place dogs in adoptive homes. The primary goal is to place dogs in
"forever" homes which means that more is required than just offering
food/water/shelter. This is where the individual rescue's ideas of what
constitutes a "forever" home comes into play.

--
Tara

Old October 13th 03, 05:34 AM
Andrea

"Rich Spencer" wrote
snip
However,
many of these restrictions only serve to discourage dog ownership and
force people to go to backyard breeders

Some thoughts: A rescue's job is not to encourage dog ownership. It is to
find the best home for the individual dogs in their care. A rescue cannot
force anyone to do anything, especially not go to a BYB. If you can't find a
good rescue, you can buy from a /responsible/ breeder. Or keep looking.

As an adoptive parent, we went
through many hurdles including home studies, background checks and the
like and have had to deal with requirements that just seem to make no
sense.

They may not make sense to you, but often times there is a reason for these
"rules". I find the idea of a rescue requiring a BARF diet for all their
dogs a bit extreme. Could it have been just certain dogs? Some dogs need
special diets for health reasons. (Case in point, my friend's Basenji who
can *only* eat his diet of baked fish and potato, homemade.) If not, that's
a little wierd, but I guess it's their perogotive.

I would encourage shelters and rescue groups to have standards
but also to be realistic. Good dog owners can have non-fenced in yards
and feed dogs Iams dog food.

Most good rescues have policies but can be flexible too. Not all rescue's
are good, though. Some are overly lax and place dogs poorly, or have a poor
support support systems for their folks and adoptors. Better to make
adoption more difficult that put the poor dog through another rehoming.

Hope you're happy with your new pet!

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis

Old October 13th 03, 04:11 PM
Kim

"Rich Spencer" wrote in message
ews.com...
[...]

I am having the same problem. We are looking for a dog or puppy and all I
can seem to find at the shelters/rescues are either senior dogs or
dogs/puppies that will be mammoth in a few months or so. While I don't want
a toy poodle, it'd be nice to find a dog that isn't going to be the size of
a small horse.
Also, with the fenced yard thing, same here. Even if we are looking for a
small inside dog, the application for adoption asks "Do you have a fenced
yard" the next line is "if no, why not?" Hello, if I am not going to leave
my dog outside, why do I need to spend $3000+ to fence in part of my 2 1/2
acre yard, separating my woods from the rest of the yard just so the dog can
go out and pee??? It's called a leash people!
I'm getting frustrated too.

---

Old October 13th 03, 04:14 PM
culprit

"Kim" wrote in message
Also, with the fenced yard thing, same here. Even if we are looking for a
small inside dog, the application for adoption asks "Do you have a fenced
yard" the next line is "if no, why not?" Hello, if I am not going to leave
my dog outside, why do I need to spend $3000+ to fence in part of my 2 1/2
acre yard, separating my woods from the rest of the yard just so the dog

can
go out and pee??? It's called a leash people!

have you tried putting this on the application? i don't have a fence, but
when i explained my situation, i was allowed to adopt my dogs (one from
rescue, one from a shelter) with no problems.

don't let the questions scare you. the rules often aren't hard and fast.
talk to the screeners. tell them why you think you'll provide a good home.

-kelly

Old October 13th 03, 05:39 PM
Suja

Kim wrote:
I am having the same problem. We are looking for a dog or puppy and all I
can seem to find at the shelters/rescues are either senior dogs or
dogs/puppies that will be mammoth in a few months or so. While I don't want
a toy poodle, it'd be nice to find a dog that isn't going to be the size of
a small horse.

That's reality, though. The older and larger dogs are harder to adopt
out, so that's most likely what you'll see when you look around.
Unfortunately, there is no dearth of any particular type of dog in this
area, and while finding a smaller dog will take you longer, it isn't
impossible.

Also, with the fenced yard thing, same here. Even if we are looking for a
small inside dog, the application for adoption asks "Do you have a fenced
yard" the next line is "if no, why not?" Hello, if I am not going to leave
my dog outside, why do I need to spend $3000+ to fence in part of my 2 1/2
acre yard, separating my woods from the rest of the yard just so the dog can
go out and pee??? It's called a leash people!
I'm getting frustrated too.

Absolutely, put it down on the application. All the applications I've
looked at asks you how you plan on exercising your dog, and keeping the
dog on-leash while you go on hikes and walks is a good way to do it.
Generally, when a rescue finds out that you are a responsible dog owner
(especially one who has had dogs and unfenced yards before), they won't
have any problems adopting to you. I can see the fenced yard being a
requirement if you are adopting a particular breed of dog who has very
high energy requirements and must be allowed to run off-leash in a safe
area.

Suja

Old October 14th 03, 12:24 AM

In rec.pets.dogs.breeds Kim wrote:
Also, with the fenced yard thing, same here. Even if we are looking for a
small inside dog, the application for adoption asks "Do you have a fenced
yard" the next line is "if no, why not?" Hello, if I am not going to leave
my dog outside, why do I need to spend $3000+ to fence in part of my 2 1/2
acre yard, separating my woods from the rest of the yard just so the dog can
go out and pee??? It's called a leash people!

For a lot of rescues that's a perfectly acceptable answer. Not
acceptable would be "because I don't want to spend the money" or "because
my dog will be tied up". I think dogs without fences yards often get
more attention. The thing is simply to make it clear that you find
turning a dog loose to "do its business" at *least* as appalling as they
- and even better if you can state you have plenty of experience in not
letting a dog loose even without a fenced yard. Even the last comment is
perfectly appropriate. Thing is that we get an awful lot of questions
here that show that people seem to forget things like leashes. "How do I
stop my dog from going to the neighbors?" "How do I stop my dog from
chasing cars."? ....

Diane Blackman
Old October 14th 03, 02:28 AM
Rich Spencer

In article , TOTE@dog-
play.com says...
[...]

That would be great if rescue groups would allow that type of latitude -
the problem is that if you look at their web pages (which is where most
people get their information), the requirements read just like that,
absolute requirements rather than a "requirement or an acceptable
modification." When people see these type of web pages, they are led to
believe that these requirements are written in stone and thus, got to
another source.

Of course, rescue groups can make any rules that they like. It would
seem to me though that a goal would be to rescue as many dogs as
possible and place those dogs in good homes. These homes might not be
the ideal home in some small respect but it would allow more dogs to be
rescue rather than trying to find the optimal environment and facing the
possibility that some will not be rescued due to lack of space.

I'm sure that this is an issue that groups and shelters deal with every
day but given some of the responses to this issue, it might be worth
reconsidering.
Old October 14th 03, 02:38 AM
Tara O.

"Rich Spencer" wrote in message
ws.com...

Of course, rescue groups can make any rules that they like. It would
seem to me though that a goal would be to rescue as many dogs as
possible and place those dogs in good homes.

That generally is the goal.

These homes might not be
the ideal home in some small respect but it would allow more dogs to be
rescue rather than trying to find the optimal environment and facing the
possibility that some will not be rescued due to lack of space.

I disagree with the above. That's not to say that I think there's a such
thing as a "perfect" home as each one is different in a great many aspects.
However, placing a dog in a less than as-close-to-perfect-as-possible home
isn't necessarily doing that dog any favors. When rescues take in dogs,
they make a promise to that dog to find it a wonderful home where it will
stay forever and always receive the utmost in attention and health care.
Placing dogs in homes that are just okay may make space for more dogs, more
quickly, but is the rescue doing the dog any long-term favors?

--
Tara

Old October 14th 03, 03:06 AM
Rich Spencer

These homes might not be
the ideal home in some small respect but it would allow more dogs to be
rescue rather than trying to find the optimal environment and facing the
possibility that some will not be rescued due to lack of space.

I disagree with the above. That's not to say that I think there's a such
thing as a "perfect" home as each one is different in a great many aspects.
However, placing a dog in a less than as-close-to-perfect-as-possible home
isn't necessarily doing that dog any favors. When rescues take in dogs,
they make a promise to that dog to find it a wonderful home where it will
stay forever and always receive the utmost in attention and health care.
Placing dogs in homes that are just okay may make space for more dogs, more
quickly, but is the rescue doing the dog any long-term favors?

The problem is one of definition - is my home any less better because I
don't have a fensed in yard? According to some rescue groups, that
would seem to be the case. This is what I meant by optimal conditions
and is the point I'm trying to make. At what point does your search for
the ideal conditions lead to fewer dogs being rescued? Also is our
definition of a "wonderful home" so narrow that it disqualifies many who
could otherwise provide a good home for the dog? Some people might have
other advantages that could outweigh a potential negative such as a non-
fenced in yard. That is the problem with absolutes - it fails to take
into account all factors that constitute a good home.