Shoes or booties for dogs

Old February 16th 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Shoes or booties for dogs

We just got a Rottweiler mix, which we will keep in our enclosed back
yard. We foresee letting the dog inside on very hot or cold days. My
wife doesn't want mud tracked in by the dog. So I am looking into
shoes or booties to put on the dog's feet when she comes indoors.
I've seen sturdy dog boots for hiking and the snow online. But is
there something more for our everyday needs? Thanks. Mike
Old February 16th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article
,
tenplay wrote:

We just got a Rottweiler mix, which we will keep in our enclosed back
yard. We foresee letting the dog inside on very hot or cold days. My
wife doesn't want mud tracked in by the dog. So I am looking into
shoes or booties to put on the dog's feet when she comes indoors.
I've seen sturdy dog boots for hiking and the snow online. But is
there something more for our everyday needs? Thanks. Mike

What a sad existence for a dog. Floors can be washed (as can paws). It
seems like a whole lot more trouble to put booties on muddy feet than to
just clean them off.

Everyday needs? Living in your home and companionship. What was your
purpose in getting a dog? For me, they are my companions rather than
lawn ornaments. I have them to interact with, engage is activities
with, and just hang out with. I can't figure out why I would get a dog
just to have it live away from me.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 17th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
In article

I can't figure out why I would get a dog
just to have it live away from me.

1. They want him to guard against someone stealing their backyard. Sod is
so expensive these days.

2. They can't bear the thought of tiny brown and black dog hairs on
anything.

3. They want him to become a constant problem barker to annoy their
neighbors.

4. They're afraid he might damage something in the house, because after
all, if they were intelligent enough to train a dog, they'd know that dogs
shouldn't live as exiles from the family.

flick 100785

Old February 17th 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

tenplay wrote:
We just got a Rottweiler mix, which we will keep in our enclosed back
yard. We foresee letting the dog inside on very hot or cold days. My
wife doesn't want mud tracked in by the dog. So I am looking into
shoes or booties to put on the dog's feet when she comes indoors.
I've seen sturdy dog boots for hiking and the snow online. But is
there something more for our everyday needs? Thanks. Mike

All things considered you might want to re-home the dog. Or the wife.

Why in the world would you acquire a dog with the stated plan of leaving
it alone outside? That's no life for an intelligent, sociable animal
that has evolved to live in packs.

Old February 18th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Feb 17, 6:23 am, Kathleen wrote:
tenplay wrote:
We just got a Rottweiler mix, which we will keep in our enclosed back
yard. We foresee letting the dog inside on very hot or cold days. My
wife doesn't want mud tracked in by the dog. So I am looking into
shoes or booties to put on the dog's feet when she comes indoors.
I've seen sturdy dog boots for hiking and the snow online. But is
there something more for our everyday needs? Thanks. Mike

All things considered you might want to re-home the dog. Or the wife.

Why in the world would you acquire a dog with the stated plan of leaving
it alone outside? That's no life for an intelligent, sociable animal
that has evolved to live in packs.

I asked a simple question. Then all of you fanatics came on with your
hostile responses trying to push your values and lifestyles on
everyone. We found some dog wipes for our dog, that work quite nicely
for our needs. Also I found some dog booties online that we might
try down the road. Now both the dog and we are happy. Mike

Old February 18th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article
,
tenplay wrote:

Then all of you fanatics came on with your
hostile responses trying to push your values and lifestyles on
everyone. We found some dog wipes for our dog, that work quite nicely
for our needs. Also I found some dog booties online that we might
try down the road. Now both the dog and we are happy. Mike

I doubt the dog is all that happy not living with people, but you can go
ahead and try to convince yourself of that to make you feel better about
your decision. Wipes? How about a plain old paper towel? Again,
putting booties on already muddy feet seems pretty silly. Then again,
so does getting a social animal and making it live alone.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 18th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

tenplay wrote:
[...]

Dogs did not evolve to live alone; they evolved to live in pack - in other
words, as a member of a group. That group can consist of other dogs, or of
people, or if sheep or goats, in the case of a livestock guardian. Dogs
that are forced to live alone end up developing problem behaviors because
they are lonely and neurotic. Problem barking and digging are two that come
to mind.

Most of us in this group prefer to see people attempt to meet the needs of
their dogs. Allowing a dog to live as part of a family - indoors - meets
the dog's social NEED. Making a dog live alone, outdoors, ostracized from
the pack (family) is cruel.

Be sure to come back and tell us how you cope with the problem behaviors,
when - and not if - they develop.

HTH!

flick 100785