Has anyone read . .

Old August 12th 04, 03:37 PM
LeeCharlesKelley

Default Has anyone read . .

I don't normally respond to posts on these kind of sites, but since
BSParker is the only one here who's had first-hand experience with my
effectiveness as a dog trainer, I thought I would drop in for a moment and
say hello.

I'd also like to point out that I hardly expect everyone to love and enjoy
my novels. That's a matter of personal preference. For those of you
(including Parker) who want to read sample chapters you can go to my
website: http://www.leecharleskelley.com, or the Harper Collins website,
or for that matter just look up my novels on Amazon.com. Sample chapters
are available at all those places. If you like what you read, you'll
probably like the books.

Also, I hardly think my booklet "No Bad Dogs, Just Bad Trainers" is the
most definitive text on drives ever written. It's mostly just a precis of
the information contained in "Natural Dog Training", by Kevin Behan. And
even if it were a seminal, groundbreaking work, I would hardly expect most
of the posters on this site to agree with the ideas in it or my novels,
since I've basically shown the scientific flaws in both the alpha theory
(which is completely false) and operant conditioning (which has
limitations because it doesn't take a dog's prey drive into account). I
have nothing much to say about the Koehler Method (or the idea of teaching
a dog "cause and effect"), except that when you don't give a dog a solid
foundation for learning by first activating the prey drive before teaching
him anything, you give him a negative learning experience rather than a
positive one. "Max Von Stephanitz said, "Before you teach a dog to obey,
teach it how to play.") It's up to the individual owner or trainer to
decide which of these is better for the dog in the long run -- a negative
learning experience or a positive one.

However, ideas are just ideas, and talk is just talk (or in the case of
many on this site, blather). It's taking action that counts. I've tested
Kevin Behan's techniques and have found that they work far better than
anything else. And I've come to realize just how scientifically valid
they are, because sociability and learning in canines is totally dependent
on the prey drive.

You see,what's misperceived as strata in a social echelon is really just
variations in the prey drive, which are a biological necessity for the
chase-and-ambush style of hunting. Forming a dominance hierarchy serves
no such biologic function.

Meanwhile, the central thesis of operant conditioning, that the survival
instincts are paramount to modifying behavior, fails to take into account
the fact that food rewards have no effectiveness when strong drives and
emotions are in play, or the reality that when the prey drive is engaged,
survival instincts become secondary, not primary.

But again, these are just words, reflecting ideas. It's only when you
apply the techniques and see their effectiveness first-hand, as Parker has
done, that you'll see the proof of what I'm saying. It's sad that my most
vociferous critics haven't applied or experimented with Natural Dog
Training techniques and yet still denigrate them. Some who criticize me
here have actually contacted me privately for help with behavioral
problems. In one instance, a poster's belief system made her unable to
solve a fairly simple behavioral problem. I suggested that rather than
doing some of the things she was doing on a daily basis to reinforce her
status and authority as the "alpha member" of the group, she do the exact
polar opposite, just as an experiment, just to see what would happen. Her
beliefs in the outmoded and silly alpha theory prevented her from taking
action that could have easily solved the problem she was having with her
dog.

It's fortunate that some of my readers haven't been so hidebound in their
beliefs and have actually tried some of the methods described in my novels
(as a sidelight to the main action), and have had amazing results.

Be good to your doggies. Try to see things from their point of view.
Apply a little bit of you own commonsense and logic (if you have any) when
looking at their behaviors, rather than relying on antiquated ideas from
so-called experts or misinterpreting what you see through your own belief
systems, as the alpha theorists and behavioral scientists have done.
Experiment with new techniques and new ideas, just to see if they're
effective. Then we can have a sound, rational discussion.

Nice to hear from you, BSP.

LCK