CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE - WOLFHOUND

Old March 6th 05, 01:11 PM
Julian Campbell

Default CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE - WOLFHOUND

I am asking the following questions on behalf of my mother.

My mothers Irish Wolfhound "Willum" was put to sleep recently after a vet
diagnosed him with congestive heart failure.

My mother belived in alternative medicatio and used a homeopathic vet who in
turn used only homepathic medicine to treat willum.

Willum was 11 years old when he died which is a good run for a Wolfhound.
But after the death, my mum is struggling with the usuall "what if"
questions.

The vet told my mother that if she had used regular medicines Willum would
likely have suffered a painfull death.

Does any one have any experiences of the death of their dogs and the
treatment used?

Do you wish you had done it differently?

Any help would be good.

Thank you

Julian

Old March 6th 05, 02:02 PM

Julian,

I had a Boxer that died at 11 years of age from cardio myopathy
(unstable heart beat). I faithfully gave him his vet prescribed meds
every day in a little piece of liver sausage but things got worse and
to a point where every time he would get excited, his heart would stop
and he would drop like a rock only to wake up ~30 seconds later and
sometimes drop again and again. It was an awful thing to experience so
we made the painful decision to put him out of his misery at 11. Yes,
I do look back and have a few "what ifs" but at that age, there's
really not much else you can do. To us, 11 seems young but to a large
dog breed, 11 is quite old and we all eventually die. It's tough to
lose a close companion like that but we all eventually suffer the same
fate so tell your Mom she did everything she could to give Willum a
long and healthy life and that he's now in a better place.

Best wishes,

Dave