The Dog Whisperer

Old July 8th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default The Dog Whisperer

Thumbs up or Thumbs down??? I love him. He is my idol, my hero, my
guru. i want to be him when I grow up so, whadda ya say do ya like
him or not?
I say Thumbs UP!!!!!

Be Free,
Judy

Old July 8th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Judith Althouse wrote:
Thumbs up or Thumbs down

Thumbs down for me. I disagree with a lot of the techniques he uses.
For example, he often uses flooding to overcome fears, and I believe
flooding produces very temporary relief, at best, and often intensifies
the fear instead of decreasing it. There are others, but those are
kind of trainer objections to a show that is aimed at the average dog
owner. That's really where my biggest objection is - that he doesn't
really show the work behind the results and misleads viewers by
oversimplifying what's actually done. Remember that you are viewing a
heavily edited show. Pat Miller said it much better than I can in her
review of his book for the APDT journal. I'll try to find an online
copy of that review to link to.

Lynn K.

Old July 8th 06, 08:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Thanks ladies for your opinion. I would be very interested in one
person's review of the book. It is my current favorite book. I am not
familiar with the term flooding? Could you help me out Lynn? Certainly
I understand he doesn't just show up on the scene and fix the dogs and
their owners on one edited show. I assume the general public gets it
too....but I like his style I just need to be more consistent.

Be Free,
Judy

Old July 8th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On 7 Jul 2006 22:03:23 -0700, wrote:

Thumbs down for me. I disagree with a lot of the techniques he uses.
For example, he often uses flooding to overcome fears, and I believe
flooding produces very temporary relief, at best, and often intensifies
the fear instead of decreasing it.

Some of the human research has shown flooding to be very effective for
anxiety, but since it is hell on the patient, gradual desensitization
still seems to be the preferred method. I remember a brand new PhD
talking a few years back about how flooding would be the only way
desensitization was done in the near future and wondering if she had
worked with any real live patients. Aside from the toll it takes on
the dog or human to have it flooded with its fear in an intense
session instead of exposed gradually over time, I am not sure that
dogs would even get the same benefit that humans did. It seems to me
that flooding would work on a more cognitive level whereas
desensitization can work on either a cognitive level or an emotional
association level or both and still work. But I'm just thinking out
loud. I would be interested in what you have seen with flooding work
with dogs.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old July 8th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison

"Judith Althouse" wrote in message
Thumbs up or Thumbs down??? I love him. He is my idol, my hero, my
guru. i want to be him when I grow up so, whadda ya say do ya like
him or not?
I say Thumbs UP!!!!!

Be Free,
Judy

Can you give me his name. I'm in the Uk and dont know who you mean.
Alison

Old July 8th 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison

"Paula" wrote in message
[...]

The problem with dog training/behaviour TV shows is that Joe Public will
use the techniques and likely make things worse.
Alison

Old July 8th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

Judith Althouse wrote:
Thumbs up or Thumbs down

Thumbs down for me. I disagree with a lot of the techniques he uses.
For example, he often uses flooding to overcome fears, and I believe
flooding produces very temporary relief, at best, and often intensifies
the fear instead of decreasing it. There are others, but those are
kind of trainer objections to a show that is aimed at the average dog
owner. That's really where my biggest objection is - that he doesn't
really show the work behind the results and misleads viewers by
oversimplifying what's actually done. Remember that you are viewing a
heavily edited show. Pat Miller said it much better than I can in her
review of his book for the APDT journal. I'll try to find an online
copy of that review to link to.

Lynn K.

Put me in the thumbs-UP column. And I disagree with you that his
flooding techniques would produce only temporary relief. At least the
ones that I've seen him use.

But I don't know much more about him that what I see on his show,
which I think is a pretty good one.

Because it highlights and demonstrates that it's almost always the
owner's behavior that is at the root of a dog's behavior.

I'd like to read Miller's review though, so please do post a link if
you find one.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
Old July 8th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
TaraG

"Paula" wrote in message
On 7 Jul 2006 22:03:23 -0700, wrote:

Thumbs down for me. I disagree with a lot of the techniques he uses.
For example, he often uses flooding to overcome fears, and I believe
flooding produces very temporary relief, at best, and often intensifies
the fear instead of decreasing it.

Some of the human research has shown flooding to be very effective for
anxiety,

Really? I'd love to see the results of those studies. I've never found the
results (amazing as they can be) anything more than temporary results at
best. Though my sample group only involves me (I was unintentionally flooded
with heights, and yes I'm terrified of heights!), a few friends who have
confronted their inner terrors, and a buttload of dogs.

but since it is hell on the patient, gradual desensitization
still seems to be the preferred method. I remember a brand new PhD
talking a few years back about how flooding would be the only way
desensitization was done in the near future and wondering if she had
worked with any real live patients. Aside from the toll it takes on
the dog or human to have it flooded with its fear in an intense
session instead of exposed gradually over time, I am not sure that
dogs would even get the same benefit that humans did.

I've also seen lots of dogs react by learning to become anxious about things
*associated* with the flooding. Really dangerous stuff, IMO.

It seems to me
that flooding would work on a more cognitive level whereas
desensitization can work on either a cognitive level or an emotional
association level or both and still work. But I'm just thinking out
loud. I would be interested in what you have seen with flooding work
with dogs.

When I was flooded, I was actually "cured" of me fear of heights....for
about a month. And it wasn't at all cognitive (trust me, cognitive never
enters the picture when heights are involved). The thing I really liked
about it was that for the first time in my life, I could truly appreciate a
beautiful view from a mountaintop. But, it really didn't last long. Perhaps
if I had gone to high places every day in that time, I might have maintained
what I had gained, I don't know. But it was still totally temporary. That
was the only time I've ever been completely flooded. The times I've gone to
high places and not "finished the job", I've only ended up with the fear
reinforced and nervous about associated stimuli.

In dogs, I've done some work with this stuff. I have not seen flooding to be
very practical or very helpful for the most part. If its a minor anxiety,
then flooding can be a quick method through the fear to get to the good
result for the dog. Enough times of that, and the dog makes the
connection....but then the discomfort/anxiety wasn't acute in those dogs in
the first place. When its a deeper level of anxiety, I've seen the greatest
successes with desensitization. They often have to be maintained as well,
but it is so much less stressful on the dog (even if its more stressful on
the owner to accomplish), and the opportunities to create positive
associations are much greater.

Ok, I should never try to write more than 2 sentences without having had my
coffee. Hope any of this made sense.

Tara

Old July 8th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 09:52:58 -0400, Handsome Jack Morrison
wrote:

Put me in the thumbs-UP column. And I disagree with you that his
flooding techniques would produce only temporary relief. At least the
ones that I've seen him use.

Anyone want to discuss the specific example[s] of flooding they've
actually observed Millan using on his show?

Can I see a show of hands?

--
Handsome Jack Morrison