Which dog food is best?

Old July 11th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Laurleh

Default Which dog food is best?

I am soon to be adopting a 12 week old male chihuahua. I have been
researching different types of dog foods and have gotten mixed reviews
on each brand! There are so many to choose from and I am so confused.
I live in a small town and it is hard to get brands like Innova. I am
thinking about Eukanuba small breed puppy(which is what his breeder
has him on), Solid Gold, or Purina. My miniature dachund and cat are
on Purina and they both are doing wonderful. I think I will stick to
Eukanuba but I want to get the best food possible. Please share your
opinions. Thanks

Old July 11th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Laurleh

On Jul 11, 8:43 am, diddy wrote:
in legroups.com:
Laurleh whittled the following words:

I am soon to be adopting a 12 week old male chihuahua. I have been
researching different types of dog foods and have gotten mixed reviews
on each brand! There are so many to choose from and I am so confused.
I live in a small town and it is hard to get brands like Innova. I am
thinking about Eukanuba small breed puppy(which is what his breeder
has him on), Solid Gold, or Purina. My miniature dachund and cat are
on Purina and they both are doing wonderful. I think I will stick to
Eukanuba but I want to get the best food possible. Please share your
opinions. Thanks

Opinions on food is a highly charged topic. I see people here making
recommendations all the time that others feel strongly against. NONE of
these people are nutritionists. If the dog is doing well on the food...
Don't mess with it.

Thank-you very much. The dog is doing very well on Eukanuba and I
think I will leave him on it. I dont want to make the transtition of
moving in with me harder than it already is!

Old July 11th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article om,
Laurleh wrote:
I think I will stick to
Eukanuba but I want to get the best food possible. Please share your
opinions.

The best food is the one your dog does best on. Other than
that it's good to look at things like ingredient quality,
macronutrient and micronutrient balance, and so on, but
those are sometimes hard to judge by looking at the bag.
Unless you're looking for something in particular or you're
not happy with the dog's weight/coat/brightness, there's
generally not a reason to change foods.

Old July 11th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

diddy wrote:

Opinions on food is a highly charged topic. I see people here making
recommendations all the time that others feel strongly against.

I have seen people making comparative statements about foods, and I
have seen people share their opinions on specific foods. I have
also seen people ask for opinions on specific foods. Rarely do I
see anyone making specific food recommendations to people who ask
general "Which food is best?" questions. At least, not since Steve
& Co. left *health.

NONE of these people are nutritionists.

Obviously. Do you think people come to rpd* thinking they will find
canine nutritionists?

If the dog is doing well on the food...
Don't mess with it.

Agreed. The food your dog does best on is the best food for your dog.

--
Shelly
Old July 11th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

Laurleh wrote:
I am soon to be adopting a 12 week old male chihuahua. I have been
researching different types of dog foods and have gotten mixed reviews
on each brand! There are so many to choose from and I am so confused.
I live in a small town and it is hard to get brands like Innova. I am
thinking about Eukanuba small breed puppy(which is what his breeder
has him on), Solid Gold, or Purina. My miniature dachund and cat are
on Purina and they both are doing wonderful. I think I will stick to
Eukanuba but I want to get the best food possible. Please share your
opinions. Thanks

Here are some links to web sites that report on brands that were
affected and not affected by the recent recalls of pet foods due
to melamine and related contamination.

For my Lab, I have selected brands that were not affected by any
of the recalls, and whose food is not manufactured by Menu or
Sunshine foods. For my chihuahua, who has special dietary needs
and is finicky about what she eats, I prepare her food myself.

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/
http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html
http://localhostr.com/files/a906c1803a34d088826d.pdf
http://www.petconnection.com/
http://petfoodtracker.blogspot.com/

FurPaw
--
It will be a great day when our schools get all the money they
need and the Army has to hold a bake sale to buy a tank.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old July 12th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Jul 11, 9:38 am, Laurleh wrote:
I am soon to be adopting a 12 week old male chihuahua. I have been
researching different types of dog foods and have gotten mixed reviews
on each brand! There are so many to choose from and I am so confused.
I live in a small town and it is hard to get brands like Innova. I am
thinking about Eukanuba small breed puppy(which is what his breeder
has him on), Solid Gold, or Purina. My miniature dachund and cat are
on Purina and they both are doing wonderful. I think I will stick to
Eukanuba but I want to get the best food possible. Please share your
opinions. Thanks

It really doesn't matter what dog food you give your dog. All dog
breeders start their puppies on Eukanuba. I have a chihuahua myself,
and it is hard to keep cat food away from him! He seems to like
beneful a lot too though. The only thing you should be concerned with
when it comes to food for a chihuahua, is that they are known to have
issues with their digestive system. It is best to look out for the
food that supports a healthy digestive system. These dogs are so
small it might be hard for them to break down food properly. That is
probably the best advice anyone could give you on selecting a brand of
dog food. They are picky eaters, so give them what they like that
support their digestive system.

Old July 12th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

elegy wrote:

i keep thinking that i could make a fortune marketing dried diced cat
**** as training treats.

No kidding! Harriet would like to be in charge of product testing,
please.

i recently and grudgingly switched harv to eukanuba's premium
performance active adult food. i personally think it's overpriced crap
in bag, but i haven't been able to find a food that he does well on
and doesn't eat (and poop) an absurd amount on. it's lower calorie
than the canidae he was eating, but he's eating less and pooping HALF
AS MUCH.

go figure.

I don't think Euk Premium Performance is crap in a bag, actually.
Harriet did very nicely on it, aside from the coat smell issue. It
sounds like it might be exactly what Harv needs.

How is he holding up? I didn't respond to the storm thread, because
I don't have any advice on the subject. I *wish* I had a magic cure
for storm phobia! I feel for him, though. Poor guy. Fear and
anxiety suck ass, Mr. Garrison.

--
Shelly
Old July 12th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
elegy wrote:
i recently and grudgingly switched harv to eukanuba's premium
performance active adult food. i personally think it's overpriced crap
in bag, but i haven't been able to find a food that he does well on
and doesn't eat (and poop) an absurd amount on. it's lower calorie
than the canidae he was eating, but he's eating less and pooping HALF
AS MUCH.

More protein, more fat.

I've actually been very happy with Eukanuba Premium
Performance, although this year I'm going to try something
new (probably Annamaet Ultra) and see how that goes.

Old July 12th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"elegy" wrote in message:

additionally, dried bunny turds and dried goat poo.

Pan would like you to add dried Goose poop (for eating) and fresh Goose poop
(for perfuming herself with) to your product list.

Suja