Vet visit # eleventy thousand

Old November 6th 08, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

Default Vet visit # eleventy thousand

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

Overall summary: Both dogs' physicals are good. Bloodwork pending. Wallet
has a big, huge hole in it. We finally broke the 4 figures in one vet visit
barrier, after flirting with it a couple of times.

Yikes! In all Jasmine, Fidget, and Toby have been through, we never did
manage to do that (knocking fervently on wood), although the total for
all of them went well into five digits over the years.
--
Kevin Michael Vail | Dogbert: That's circular reasoning.
* | Dilbert: I prefer to think of it as no loose ends.
Old November 6th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Kevin Michael Vail" wrote in message:

I read on one blog (Huffingtonpost.com, I think) that the Bradley effect
never really was about race, but about guns...he came out big for a bill
that would have banned new gun purchases right at the time the bill
became really unpopular.

There were a lot of issues surrounding that particular race, one of which
was the gun issue. Bradley thought he had it in the bag and basically put
his campaigning on cruise control towards the end. They stopped polling in
the final few days of the election, so they had no idea about the trendlines
in the runup to the election. They definitely didn't anticipate that there
would be an effect on the mayoral race because of more conservative voters
showing up to the polls on the gun issue. And finally, no one remembered to
count the damn absentee ballots (that traditional trend R). According to
someone that worked for the guy that beat Bradley, the race was within one
percentage point, and I believe that's where it finished.

There was a Harvard study that showed that there may have been something
akin to the Bradley effect in the 80s and early 90s, but it appears to have
dissipated since. During the primaries, Obama tended to underperform the
polls slightly in the North and overperform slightly in the South. The one
primary result everyone wanted to point to as a confirmation of the Bradley
effect - New Hampshire - had other contributing factors (short runup
between Iowa and NH, the Hillary 'tearing up' moment, withdrawal of Dodd and
Biden [I believe], etc.). If I remember correctly, Obama didn't
significantly underperform his polling numbers, Hillary significantly
overperformed hers.

Suja

Old November 6th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bethgsd

"Suja" wrote in message

When I first moved down here, I was really dreading it. 'Virginia'
conjured
up some pretty damning images in my head. I'm thankful that I live in the
fake part of Virginia, where there is diversity and tolerance and stuff.

Suja

Or just work at a university in the middle of the city. I forget sometimes
how conservative Richmond, and VA in general, tend to be working as I do in
my own little slice of good.

The general attitude at the university was almost giddy today.

Beth

Old November 6th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Suja" wrote in message
Now, now, let's give the people of PA some credit. They've been blue for
looong time; turning it into a 'battleground state' was all illusion,
propagated by the McCain campaign.

I've been living in PA and it didn't feel like a battleground state for me
this time around. Hardly any robocalls. Although I did get one around 5PM
Tuesday that was warning me that Obama was in favor of Freedom of Choice.

Maybe I shouldn't have been, but I am shocked that Alaska re-elected a
convicted felon to the Senate. If his conviction stands, I think that the
senate shouldn't try to throw the bum out. Let's see how the Alaskans
like
it when their senator tries to bring them pork from sitting in a jail cell
(yes, I know he'll likely not go to jail; that's the only flaw in my
otherwise wonderful plan).

Actually, what I heard was that they were voting for him so that the seat
remained Republican. Then if/when he goes to jail, the governor would get
to name someone to fill his seat. It could even be the governor herself.

Judy

Old November 6th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
Actually, what I heard was that they were voting for him so that the seat
remained Republican. Then if/when he goes to jail, the governor would get
to name someone to fill his seat. It could even be the governor herself.

If you believe what people were writing to the Alaska
papers, it was more along the lines of "UP YOURS,
OUTSIDERS!!" I can see where the Alaska political
establishment encouraged him to stay in the race because of
exactly those considerations, though.

Speaking of Alaska, one of my favorite set of polling place
photos showed up in a mushing blog. She's a photojournalist
as well as musher and the AP dispatched her to get some
photos of "real" Alaska:
http://wannabemusher.blogspot.com/20...hes-ruler.html

Old November 6th 08, 12:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Suja" wrote in message
Comment of the day: How is it possible for a dog to have jugulars
like a
thoroughbred and have veins in the leg like a 20 year old dehydrated
Chihuahua with Kidney disease?

Don't know, but next time, if you'd like to borrow Harriet's race horse
veins, you're more than welcome to.

Overall summary: Both dogs' physicals are good.

Good!

Wallet
has a big, huge hole in it. We finally broke the 4 figures in one vet
visit
barrier, after flirting with it a couple of times.

I would have burst into tears, then vomited. Yikes!

--
Shelly

Old November 6th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Speaking of Alaska, one of my favorite set of polling place
photos showed up in a mushing blog. She's a photojournalist
as well as musher and the AP dispatched her to get some
photos of "real" Alaska:
http://wannabemusher.blogspot.com/20...hes-ruler.html

I love it!

I especially liked the part about the wife coming downstairs in her bathrobe
and then going back up when the first voter showed up.

Alaska takes such pride in scenes like that. Clearly, they still do exist.
But I think most likely at the majority of polling places, things looked
pretty much like they did at most in the lower 48. We have an "Elmer" (or
two) here - and I'm sure you do there. (In our case, that would be my FIL.)

Judy

Old November 6th 08, 12:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Suja" wrote in message

I was shocked to see Indiana turn blue,

Amazed the hell out of me! This is the first time in my lifetime that
Indiana has gone blue. Polls in the past few weeks have been really
close, and it's been almost impossible to gauge the state's climate as a
whole, living in a blue oasis. Obama spent a lot of time and money
here, and it paid off.

--
Shelly

Old November 6th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Judy wrote:
Alaska takes such pride in scenes like that. Clearly, they still do exist.
But I think most likely at the majority of polling places, things looked
pretty much like they did at most in the lower 48. We have an "Elmer" (or
two) here - and I'm sure you do there. (In our case, that would be my FIL.)

Hah! But sure, this is an aging agricultural community and
there are a lot of old-fashioned names. Everybody turns out
on election day and there's an election day dinner at the
grange.

I recently learned that my mother has never voted, which I
guess I would have realized if I'd thought about it. She
left Canada when she was 18 and never took US citizenship.
She loves the democratic process and found Obama inspiring,
so she volunteered for the Obama campaign and canvassed
door-to-door in a swing state that did go blue this year.
So she actually did a lot more to get Obama elected than I
did, since I live in NY and my vote, for president, anyway,
is worth approximately bupkes.

We had an extremely hotly contested race for highway
superintendant, though. That was kind of exciting.

Old November 6th 08, 01:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
I would have burst into tears, then vomited. Yikes!

I get those kind of boarding bills. I grit my teeth, say "I
love my dogs!" in a falsetto voice, and write the damned
check.

I Hate People - Reason # Three Hundred and Eleventy Gazillion Suja Dog behavior 2 December 21st 06 09:05 AM
Visit the Second Theresa Willis Dog behavior 8 December 29th 03 01:20 PM
Visit The First Lynn K. Dog behavior 12 December 21st 03 11:14 PM
Visit The First Lynn K. Dog behavior 0 December 21st 03 06:58 AM
Visit The First Lynn K. Dog behavior 0 December 21st 03 06:58 AM