You Are Dead to Me!

Old November 10th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default You Are Dead to Me!

This is how I was greeted when I got home today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/3019519911/

Harriet had stopped licking her feet, but suddenly started again over
the weekend, only this time, she was gnawing the hell out of them.
In the time it took me to take a shower, she chewed open the skin on
one of her pinkie toes. She was also rubbing her ears. This is the
first time in years that she's had an ear infection. It cropped up
just before she started chewing her feet, so I'm assuming the two are
related.

She spent the day in the Cone of Shame, and we went back to the vet
this afternoon. (Yes, the cone is too long. I tried a shorter cone
on her, and she was still able to chew. Bendy Dog is a pain in the
ass.) She'll probably have to be in the cone for a few days, while
I'm not home. I will be sleeping with one eye open.

Anyway, I got a refill of cephalexin (her skin infection is almost
cleared up, but not completely), some hydrocortisone spray, and some
antibacterial/anti-fungal wipes for her ears and feet.

We had a longer than normal wait at the vet. We saw the world's
smallest and cutest land manatee (I think it was a Pug mix; it had a
short, fat tail that did not curl), a Shihtzu that totally thought he
got a raw deal, because Harriet got treats and he didn't (I
remembered them this time), and an absolutely gorgeous GSD mix with
brindle legs.

Harriet comported herself beautifully. Minimal hrmphing and no
crankiness about other dogs--not even the Shihtzu on the ubiquitous
Flexi, who made a bee-line for her when he came in.

--
Shelly
Old November 10th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/3019519911/

Oh my! Who can blame her, though?

Anyway, I got a refill of cephalexin (her skin infection is almost
cleared up, but not completely), some hydrocortisone spray, and some
antibacterial/anti-fungal wipes for her ears and feet.

What a pain in the butt! The more I'm seeing this sort of thing, the
happier I am that whatever problems my dogs have, they are tangible and can
be treated.

My cousin was over this weekend with her dog Jumper, who may as well be a
nekkid dog (he's a GSD/Lab mix). The poor thing literally has no hair on
half his body due to allergies (food and environmental), and spends a huge
part of his life in a lampshade, banging into things. They're finally doing
allergy shots, but it's too soon to tell if it's working. It definitely
doesn't help that he's an under-exercised, overly anxious dog with well
meaning but lazy owners.

Suja

Old November 10th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:54:37 +0000 (UTC), Shelly
wrote:

This is how I was greeted when I got home today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-sidh/3019519911/

omg that picture is too cute...

sorry Harriet is having problems. I know Hannah tended towards lots
of rashes till I improved her food. (not that you are not feeding
Harriet good food but for others I'm just saying)

now that she's on better food she still seems to be rashy but not as
bad...

we have spray
we have cream
and she gets pills but not for her rashes...

the things we do for love.
Best Wishes,

Nessa
----
Dog Mom to:
Hannah age 6.5 Pitador rescued age 9 weeks
Harley age 10 months Landseer Newfoundland
(Angel) Bagel went to Rainbow Bridge 9/18/08 my Newfandstuff age 8.5

Old November 11th 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Suja" wrote in message

Oh my! Who can blame her, though?

I know! It's cruel and unusual punishment. And I did it to her again
today, too.

What a pain in the butt! The more I'm seeing this sort of thing, the
happier I am that whatever problems my dogs have, they are tangible
and can
be treated.

It's a pain in the ass, for sure. What makes me want to cry is that
everything was pretty much under control until this summer. She hadn't
had an ear infection in years, she wasn't itchy, and though she was
licking her feet, it wasn't *bad*. Something knocked her for a loop
this summer.

On the other hand, the foot chewing *does* seem to have been allergies,
not OCD. Once this ear/foot infection is under control, I'm hopeful
that things will be Just Fine. The only down side is that the duck and
potato food, while it smells good (rich and smokey), it makes her smell
like french fries.

My cousin was over this weekend with her dog Jumper, who may as well
be a
nekkid dog (he's a GSD/Lab mix). The poor thing literally has no hair
on
half his body due to allergies (food and environmental), and spends a
huge
part of his life in a lampshade, banging into things.

That's got to be tough for them and for him. Poor puppy!

They're finally doing
allergy shots, but it's too soon to tell if it's working.

I wish them well. Allergies are a bitch to diagnose and treat.

It definitely
doesn't help that he's an under-exercised, overly anxious dog with
well
meaning but lazy owners.

No, that doesn't help, for sure.

--
Shelly

Old November 11th 08, 12:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Nessa" wrote in message

omg that picture is too cute...

She is small, but defiant! Also angry. Also disgusted.

sorry Harriet is having problems. I know Hannah tended towards lots
of rashes till I improved her food. (not that you are not feeding
Harriet good food but for others I'm just saying)

I'm actually not too happy with some aspects of the food she's on. It's
not very nutrient dense, and it makes her smell like french fries
(pleasant, but weird), but her allergies have improved *hugely* on it,
and that's what matters.

now that she's on better food she still seems to be rashy but not as
bad...

Food allergies/sensitivities can cause all sorts of problems, so if you
think that's what's causing her rashes, there may be something more
suitable for her out there. Of course, by changing ingredients, you
also run the risk of being sent back to square one, so I would be leery
of getting too experimental.

we have spray
we have cream
and she gets pills but not for her rashes...

Sounds familiar! What's funny (to me, anyway) is how quickly it becomes
routine.

--
Shelly